PDA

View Full Version : Another Hollow Form

Tangoman
27th October 2014, 07:34 PM
G'Day Fols,

Heres another hollow form I've made. Didnt go for the big spout :U
Its Myrtle with a burr collar. Dont know what type of burr but its rock hard and exceedingly pretty..

What do you think ?

Regards,
Cam

powderpost
27th October 2014, 07:48 PM
That is a very nice piece. I like the clean flowing lines of it... Beautifully done :2tsup:

Jim

smiife
27th October 2014, 07:58 PM
Hi cam,
Very nice, looks better with the smaller top
Is it a handle or a lid? ?..can, t quite see from the photos
Well done:2tsup:

brendan stemp
27th October 2014, 08:30 PM
Cam, I think this is a much better piece than the previous one, significantly improved by the more subtle spout. Good form with an elegant curve although the shadow at the bottom prevents us from seeing how it all finishes. Well finished and good choice of timber combination. I have the feeling you could do even better and would like to extend yourself further so I will add that it is quite a conservative piece. You should explore pushing the form a little further to give it more interest. If it means producing something awful then no matter. Some of the best work was the result of learning from plenty of stuff ups. I know, I still have mine. Have a look at Liam Hill's work. His forms are beautiful and illustrate exactly what I mean.

artful bodger
27th October 2014, 09:05 PM
Hi Cam
Nice piece!
Looks well made and with an A1 finish.
What is the "burr collar" made from?
Is the piece meant to be functional or decorative?

elderly
28th October 2014, 07:31 AM
Very nice piece Can. Good shape, well turned and finished.
Cheers Frank.

artme
28th October 2014, 08:06 AM
That is gorgeous!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Bruce White
28th October 2014, 10:55 AM
:2tsup::2tsup: Great job!

Tangoman
28th October 2014, 07:53 PM
Fella's,

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated.

Artful Bodger - the Burr is a piece of burr (Burl) timber sizeto fit internally in the hole, glued in place then finish turned. Cant honestly say what type of timber, I bought two slices about ten years ago from Vermec (?) while I lived at Kippa-ring and this is the first time I've used any. I think a few pieces will be on a new pen for me soon !!!!!!!!!! ( I use the words burr and Burl interchangeably, its generally a burr in europe and Burl here and the US)

Brendan - Thank you for your comments. You're right I do enjoy pushing myself and will be looking up the gent you mentioned for ideas, I have always been a huge fan of John Jordans work and Bert Marsh's natural edges. Have to restock on timber first though, might go and knock on a few neighbours doors as I am sure one of them is an arborist !

thank you all !!!

Cam

Rod Gilbert
28th October 2014, 08:10 PM
Hi Cam,
Another nice piece I agree that this piece from the first attempt is a better but don't right the first off just yet as I said in the last post the only problem with the first form was in the transition from one curve to the other and that can be a surprisingly small amount a couple of mm here or there and that form could be a head turner as well. Keep up the good work.
Regards Rod.

george mavridis
28th October 2014, 09:32 PM
Cam, great looking piece. As a newcomer, here's another question. How much of the inside do you remove? Do you try to get a thin wall thickness?

Tangoman
29th October 2014, 04:04 PM
George,

I've hollowed this one out to about 10mm thickness, give or take 2mm. I have really been concentrating on getting the inside smooth and even rather than going for thin walls. I am still at the stage of skills building so arent pushing too hard. I will make a laser guide like the ones advertised soon and then try to go thinner.

Cam