PDA

View Full Version : Beginner query - scroll chuck

bairdy380
29th October 2014, 10:31 AM
G'day all,
I've enheirited a basic wood lathe in recent times and am keen to improve my basic skills. I've contacted the local wood turning group and I am going to wander down to have a yarn with them.
My query at the moment is that currently I only have a drive dog or fixed faceplate with which to attach any pieces. I am seriously considering getting a scroll chuck and possibly some cole jaws to round out the "kit"
From the turn centre to the lathe frame is 150mm max (radius), its an older lathe so the thread is quite probably imperial of some description (my maintenance guys are trying to help me out there).
What chuck (if any) would be recommended for this size and my current skill level?...I saw vermec had a basic for around $160...or is there good second handers about?
Cheers
Pete

Cliff Rogers
29th October 2014, 10:51 AM
Slippery slope. :D

There is a bit of a catch 22.

While you are learning & not sure where your interest will take you, you will kiss a few frogs.

In my early days, I spent about $280 on a scroll chuck to suit an older, non-standard lathe.

I soon found out that the chuck was very limited in its travel so there were some things I couldn't do with it.

I also fairly quickly outgrew the old lathe & the expensive chuck wouldn't fit the new lathe.

If there is a club near by that has some gear, try out a few things before you dive it.

If they don't have gear at the club house, see if you can go to a few of the member's sheds & check out their set up for the type of work they do.

Christos
29th October 2014, 11:12 AM
I had an older lathe and the chuck that I started with was a Supernova 2. I am still using this on the new lathe with a different insert. I am not able to compare many scroll chucks as I don't have or have not used many so my experiences are very limited. From what you have there are already many ways to hold a piece on the lathe.

I might suggest you look at getting a live center that will fit into your tail stock so that you can practice turning between centers.

As to holding work with a face plate you can use it in conjunction with glue blocks and jam chuck when finishing the bottom. Just takes a little longer to finish a piece.

Jim Carroll
29th October 2014, 12:02 PM
The Vicmarc VM100 scroll chuck (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vm100-scroll-chuck)is an ideal chuck for the small to medium size lathes

It is supplied with an insert to suit your lathe.

At any time in the future you decide to change lathes and you find it has a different thread it is only a matter of changing the insert.

The Vicmarc chuck has a lot of accessories allowing you to do bigger and smaller work.

Woodturnerjosh
29th October 2014, 12:07 PM
What Jim said!
It's a great little chuck with heaps of different available jaws. Unless you upgrade and only turn really big stuff, it's not a chuck you will outgrow:2tsup:

bairdy380
29th October 2014, 01:12 PM
Ho Christos...yep, didnt mention it has the live centre in the tail stock....I've had a play roughing down and turning bits and bobs...nothing functional, just learning the tools, (after I had all manner of fun reducing some crazy vibration in the unit.)
Just moving toward using the gear more effectively and safely. I was looking at the vicmarc, like mentioned...its a how much vs how much use. I'm a big fan of buy right and buy once. Thus the query.
The answers have helped heaps....might be some hints coming santas way...ha ha ha
(Jim - I emailed you about the drive dog too...cheers)

QuarkVI
29th October 2014, 01:25 PM
+1 for what Jim said

I did quite a bit of looking around to see if there was a cheaper chuck to be had - and there isn't once you include shipping and taxes for bringing in it. In NZ the choice is between the SuperNova 2 and Vicmarc with the Vicmarc being a bit more, in Aus it is the other way round. Also Vicmarc is australian and make really good kit.

If you get one of these chucks it is going to last you for the foreseeable future and because it uses inserts you will be able to keep it as you change lathes. If you are really lucky you might pick one up second hand but there aren't many of those because turners keep them. I wouldn't buy one new but if you could find a vicmarc or teknatool lever operated chuck second hand then that could be worthwhile - just be aware that most of those don't use inserts i.e. limited to one spindle thread

And if you give up turning the resale value of a Vicmarc/SuperNova is reasonable as well.

But I reckon going to your local group is the best thing you could do - spend a bit of time turning there and you will have a better idea of why you "want/need" a chuck and then you will get the Vicmarc :U (do you get the impression of me twisting your arm?)

Good luck and enjoy the slippery slope.

Robin

Mobyturns
29th October 2014, 09:16 PM
Before you go spending a couple of hundred dollars on a decent chuck and accessories it may pay to work out what your "basic lathe" is and if it is capable of turning larger blanks. What speed ranges do you have available? Some of the "basic" lathes out there have limited spindle speed options and / or are of very light construction which may mean even moderate sized bowls will stress them. At 150mm spindle height or 300mm swing you can still do some damage to yourself face plate turning.

A photo of the lathe will allow forum members to give you some more assistance on lathes suitability & perhaps even identify the spindle thread specifications for you.

maņana
29th October 2014, 09:21 PM
G'Day Pete
Mate, I reckon you should, if possible, Post some photos of your lathe, or at least the brand and model if you know it. This will enable the Forumites to be better able to advise you on a chuck that will be suitable for you. Does your lathe have hollow headstock and tailstock spindles? Your local Woodturning group or men's Shed is also going to be a great help as others have previously stated.
All the best with it.
Mick C

Christos
29th October 2014, 09:36 PM
...., (after I had all manner of fun reducing some crazy vibration in the unit.)

How large were the spindles? Does it still vibrate?

.......its a how much vs how much use. I'm a big fan of buy right and buy once.....

I am also of a similar mind set to buy once. What I have found is that I cannot purchase everything in one go so it is in stages. :) I also think that one chuck is ok to start with and you will find a need to have two of the same type. They do come in handy.

bairdy380
30th October 2014, 09:18 AM
Cheers guys. I'll have a crack at attaching the images.
There is an old catalogue in the house somewhere that came with it (no specs though)
4 speed pulley system - single phase motor (I firmly believe non original)
I've changed the belt to a t-slot, antivibration mounts etc... I've turned some blackwood at 12mm...so the centres aren't too bad
yep hollow head and tail

chuck1
30th October 2014, 09:24 AM
Also keep an eye out everywhere as they come up secondhand,
I bought one off eBay $83 brand-new , it was an older teknatool black one. Never assembled.
Buying vicmarc or teknatool you can't go wrong.
getting some lessons is advisable for your first out lay safety with lathe and tool use will save time in the long run!

Cliff Rogers
30th October 2014, 10:06 AM
See if you can identify the thread on the spindle.

Try taking your faceplate to the club to try it on a couple of known lathes.

Another tip for reducing the vibration is to not make the belt too tight.
Belts are not uniform all the way around, if you do them up really tight, the variation shows up as a vibration.
Slack it off just enough so that it doesn't slip & run it that way, you'll find that it is much quieter with less vibration.

bairdy380
30th October 2014, 08:51 PM
Okey dokey, so its a golding wood lathe 300mm x 900mm capacity. No.2 Morse taper dog and tail stock. Nothing in flyer about thread size. It's circa 1984. Northern machinery co. Preston vic. Ha ha ha

Jim Carroll
30th October 2014, 09:46 PM
The Golding lathes started with an 1" x 8tpi thread then the later ones were 1" x 10 tpi

Sturdee
30th October 2014, 09:56 PM
Northern machinery co. Preston vic. Ha ha ha

I suppose the best thing would be to give them (http://northernmachinery.webatu.com/Home/) a call and ask what the thread size would be. I'm sure they can help you for when I was looking at TS some years back they were very helpful.

Peter.

NCPaladin
31st October 2014, 01:00 AM
I have never heard anything bad about the Vicmarc but I have the Nova. The SN2 is very good but for your size lathe the G3 will handle anything you can spin. It accepts/rated for the same jaws as the SN2 except for the powergrips and the 130mm (it is rated for the 100mm).
My lathe has a 16" swing but I use the G3's as much or more than the SN's and SN2s.
Not sure what they sell for there but on the bay here you can get them for about $135, insert and shipping included.

If you have the time, here is a very good video which covers almost all holding methods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXil-5dEeo

Paul39
31st October 2014, 11:05 AM
Cheers guys. I'll have a crack at attaching the images.
There is an old catalogue in the house somewhere that came with it (no specs though)
4 speed pulley system - single phase motor (I firmly believe non original)
I've changed the belt to a t-slot, antivibration mounts etc... I've turned some blackwood at 12mm...so the centres aren't too bad
yep hollow head and tail

As this is likely to be your starter lathe, think hard about what direction your turning may take you. Lathes with square tube beds tend to flex so the headstock is more or less holding still, the tool rest and tail stock are going up and down and back and forth. Not necessarily the same direction at the same time.

You can stabilize the bed by making a block of wood that will fit snugly between thr bottom of the rails and the bench top. Put another block of wood on top of the tubes close by the under block and run a long bolt through the block and the bench top and put a big washer and nut there to snug everything down.

If the bug bites, you will probably will be looking for a cast iron bed lath, and if you lean toward bowls, more swing and bigger spindle nose.

If you are thinking in that direction, get an chuck that will take an insert for a 30 mm X 3.5 (common in AU) spindle thread or 1 1/4 inch X 8 tpi (less common in AU, common in USA).

You would get the new chuck with insert to fit your current lathe, and if you upgrade to a bigger lathe you only need to buy an insert.

http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=686

It is possible to buy an adapter for a large spindle to small bore chuck but that extends the chuck farther from the spindle and any run out is magnified.

I have a German made Hegner with 33 mm X 3.5 spindle. I found a barely used chuck set with 3 sets of jaws for $50 but threaded for 1 inch x 8 tpi. I took a chance on a Chinese 33 mm X 3.5 to 1 inch X 8 tpi adapter and got lucky. Very little run out.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LA3318.html

See also: http://www.teknatool.com/support/how%20to%20id%20your%20lathe%20thread.htm

bairdy380
31st October 2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks Paul thats good advice. From 1st fire up in the shed when I saw the initial vibrations it was a bit of....ooooh dear....anyhoo. I've weighted the stand, vibration mounted the bed, re-shimmed the motor swing arm (that was about 30% of the issue), vibration rubber mounted the "replacement" motor, replaced the original vbelt which had pulley memory with a t-slot (65%) better...now there may be a tiny bit of vibration, but I havent done enought work since to confirm it. Physically clamping the bed as you suggest does sound good too. No firm idea what/how I'm going to use it....more an occasional tinker I think. Going to try a pedestal for a bird feeder for a christmas present and possibly some basic kids toys...planes/cars etc....Turned down some nice blackwood infills for a jarrah photoframe, they came out alright....you could see where some scribing wasnt solid...but that was more the piece physically flexing due to force and diameter....think it was about 7mm (-) by that stage at the neck.
But I think the scroll chuck will give me better flexibility to do some of the things I am considering, and the model recommendations seem to be spot on what I am considering.

bairdy380
1st November 2014, 08:11 PM
Yep its 8 tpi thanks Jim....now to start looking. Cheers all

bairdy380
6th November 2014, 01:33 PM
OK, so went to the club last night and all agreed a scroll chuck is a good investment.
I know the vicmark and teknatool reputation, just checking if anyone has got/used/heard of the McJing equivalent?...its about 1/2 the price, which in an odd way concerns me slightly....I'm going to ask Santa, but need to have a good excuse for Santa to cough up!
Cheers
Peter

Jim Carroll
6th November 2014, 03:59 PM
Stick to the 2 known brands as spares and extras are readily available

Vicmarc is the No1 choice

bairdy380
8th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Good days this weekend, asked the mil if there was any more bits and bobs floating about for the lathe....turned up yesterday with a Bonham scroll chuck, drill chuck, Morse taper drill bits and a few more odds and ends....very happy camper!

Oldgreybeard
9th November 2014, 08:12 AM
Hi Pete,
You will enjoy the Bonham chuck - not as good as the Vicmark, but a good serviceable chuck.
You didn't mention its condition, but I suspect it might be like mine and could do with a little TLC. has made 5 short videos on dismantling and servicing scroll chucks, you will find them in the forum video section (http://www.woodworkforums.com/vbtube_show.php?tubeid=86&sti=Woodturning-for-learners-Chucks-1-An-introduction). I watched them all and had no trouble dismantling, cleaning and reassembling my Bonham following 's instructions.
I used WD40 and 00 grade steel wool to clean off the surface rust and other 'gunk'.

Good luck.

Bob

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2014, 10:01 AM
.....turned up yesterday with a Bonham scroll chuck, drill chuck, Morse taper drill bits and a few more odds and ends....very happy camper!

Wow, that will keep you busy for a couple of months,:2tsup: I have 2 of the Bonhams, they are good solid chucks but they go rusty very quickly so you need to clean it up & then give it a good coat of your favourite rust preventative, I use Trad Wax on mine.