PDA

View Full Version : Finials

Oldgreybeard
29th October 2014, 01:34 PM
329461 Medication seems to be controlling the shakes reasonably well, so have ventured out into the shed again. Spent a couple of hours this morning practicing turning finials for lids of small boxes. Reasonably happy with the results, but could still be finer. I would appreciate comments.

I have been reading Richard Raffan's book "Turning Boxes" and noted his comments regarding finials:
"In 1975, I gave up putting either finials or knobs on the boxes I sold through American outlets because of the manufacturer's liability insurance. First my broker demanded a truly staggering premium, then decided he wouldn't insure my boxes at all. The argument was that the finials were fragile, which was true, and that a child might possibly break one off, swallow it and die.
In place of long and spiky finials and knobs I have used compact unbreakable and ungraspable beads and knobettes to crown my lids."

I do not anticipating that I will be selling boxes through American outlets, but may sell some through craft markets and the like. Have others experienced problems with small, fragile finials and knobs, If so, is "compact unbreakable and ungraspable" the only option?

I would also like to know how many turners still adorn thier lids with finials or knobs and whether they have had any adverse comments.

Thanks

Bob

elderly
29th October 2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.cindydrozda.com/handouts_Pdfs/handouts/FinialArticle.pdf
Hi Bob,
I am a big fan of well designed finials, Cindy Drozda's in particular. She does not seem to have concerns about, or problems with selling her turnings with finials. If you are interested have a look at he link above.
Cheers Frank.

Oldgreybeard
29th October 2014, 04:23 PM
Thanks Frank, I am also admirer of Cindy's work.
Bob

smiife
29th October 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi bob,
I think if you make a fine finial on a box
Surely you would not let a kid play with it?
and the way you have made it in one piece
with the lid , would be hard to snap off I would
imagine, I reckon you should do whatever you
feel comfortable with, boxes with fine finials
are to be admired and treated with care....
Just my 2 bobs worth:U

powderpost
29th October 2014, 09:39 PM
I don't use knobs or finials on turned lidded boxes if the lid can be removed comfortably with one hand. For "biscuit" type barrels I use a simple, functional knob. I don't particularly like finials.

Jim

Oldgreybeard
30th October 2014, 01:06 PM
329563 Height is 75mm. Left is Cypress pine (sanded 240 grit only) Right is Red Gum finished EEE.

Bob

chuck1
30th October 2014, 02:09 PM
I can't see why they would be a problem, the last few lidded boxes I turned had a raised knob to hold on to.
Nice work on your finials

Drillit
31st October 2014, 10:07 AM
I have not had a problem. Insurers love to exploit the remotest of
possibilities and charge accordingly. I guess we all know that. Try
getting public risk of $5m at a premium cost of 25% of the standard $20m.
Joke. In passing Cindy has a DVD on boxes, decorating and finials - beautiful work
on an Australian lathe no less - a Stubby. Well worth a look, particularly the decorating aspect.
Drillit.

BamBam53
31st October 2014, 09:45 PM
I saw Cindy demonstrate her finials at the Auckland symposium a few weeks back. There was no mention of insurance or liability but she did stress the choice of timbers. Strong and straight grained.