PDA

View Full Version : Fishing hand line

chuck1
29th October 2014, 05:50 PM
I was asked to turn a new Timber hand line reel, it 285 diameter and 70mm thick
I bandsawed the blank and drilled a 7 mm hole for centre screw faceplate
mounted it on lathe and turned outside shape and hollowed the middle hall way
and sanded
then friction chucked it to turn other side , hollow middle and sand.
it's had a few coats of shellac
customer now wants two! Oh is camphor.
Thanks for looking!

smiife
29th October 2014, 07:11 PM
Hi chuckie,
Looks good mate, I did the same for a bloke
who is a beekeeper ,, I made a honey dipper
now he wants 100:no:

chuck1
29th October 2014, 08:32 PM
Hi chuckie,
Looks good mate, I did the same for a bloke
who is a beekeeper ,, I made a honey dipper
now he wants 100:no:

nice smiffie, sing out if you want a hand! 100 is mind numbing, I turned 55 balusters in about 6 hours on Monday!

Christos
29th October 2014, 09:41 PM
Being a fisher person I think this might be a little too heavy compared to the regular plastic ones. Is it going to be used or for display only?

chuck1
29th October 2014, 10:29 PM
The sample is used weekly for fishing, and the one I have turned does have abit more weight to it!

Christos
30th October 2014, 12:39 AM
This is going to be digressing into something not quite on topic but a consideration. About 25 years ago I went fishing with some friends and as we did not all have fishing rods we took along some hand reels as some friends never fished before. We ended up at the end of a pier and we showed the new fishing persons how to attach hooks, swivels and sinkers and some options on how to cast. By just dropping line, slight swing and one with a bit more power for a little longer cast.
It did not take long before one of our friends dropped the whole reel into the sea while casting. :doh:

From then on we look for hand reels that have holes in the middle that can be gripped by the hand.

chuck1
30th October 2014, 07:42 PM
That's a trap for young players christos!

artful bodger
30th October 2014, 08:40 PM
nice smiffie, sing out if you want a hand! 100 is mind numbing, I turned 55 balusters in about 6 hours on Monday!

55 balusters in 6 hours on Monday eh?
Sure am glad you live on the north island Chuck!.
Otherwise I might as well sell my lathes.
Stay where you are mate.:U

chuck1
31st October 2014, 08:34 AM
55 balusters in 6 hours on Monday eh?
Sure am glad you live on the north island Chuck!.
Otherwise I might as well sell my lathes.
Stay where you are mate.:U

Just for the record they were a fairly basic pattern and only sanded for a paint finish! Some of the trade Turner I have worked with are even quicker,
As I get older I'm slowing down trying to enjoy lathe time but at work they want a certain amount in a certain time and that's not overly fun. So when at home it's time to do fun things and slow it down
I want to go south to get some of the great Timber you have down there!
really it's not how quick you do it, it's about the final product!

NeilS
31st October 2014, 01:38 PM
Being a fisher person I think this might be a little too heavy compared to the regular plastic ones.

Growing up in red cedar country we turned our handline reels from that... they were a lot lighter than the camphor laurel ones that we also turned for others. I still have a cedar one somewhere that will not have seen daylight for the last 50 years. Can't imagine anyone would be prepared to pay the money for one in cedar now.

Thanks for the memories, Chuck1.

artful bodger
31st October 2014, 08:32 PM
Just for the record they were a fairly basic pattern and only sanded for a paint finish! Some of the trade Turner I have worked with are even quicker,
As I get older I'm slowing down trying to enjoy lathe time but at work they want a certain amount in a certain time and that's not overly fun. So when at home it's time to do fun things and slow it down
I want to go south to get some of the great Timber you have down there!
really it's not how quick you do it, it's about the final product!

Well I'm glad they were a fairly basic pattern! You were starting to make me feel like a hopeless case. Last balusters I did took 30 minutes each.
So are you still working as a trade turner Chuck? I find it surprising there is enough demand in the Shoalhaven area to justify a wood turning business.
As for coming south to get some of the great timbers we have here....I'm afraid it's a sad state of affairs right now. The " Green Extremists" keenly supported by the "Latte sipping, no idea,car driving,trendy greens[from all over the country]" have managed to pretty well shut down the timber industry here.
You can still buy Huon pine from the west coast as there are a couple of people who are allowed to salvage logs that float down rivers. However Myrtle, Blackheart sassafras,Celery top pine etc are now a thing of the past. They are still there, however Forestry Tasmania is not allowed to even wield a penknife let alone cut down a tree these days. I could just go on and on here but will refrain, it makes me too angry.
I have stockpiled a bit of a stash seeing this coming but how much is enough? Timber stocks in the shed tend to run out in time.