PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist insurance

Big Shed
1st November 2014, 02:38 PM
I don't want this to be seen by our over sensitive cyclist members as a rant against cyclists, I am after all a cyclist myself.

This article on todays' ABC News website once again brought home to me the need for cyclists, like any other road user, to be registered and therefore be covered by compulsory third party insurance:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-31/cyclist-awarded-compensation-after-being-hit-by-another-cyclist/5859008

Now here is a cyclist that caused another cyclist to be injured and suffer losses, both health wise and monetary wise.

There is a good chance he is not insured for that and it may send him broke, and/or the other cyclist may never see the compensation awarded him.

I have in the past voiced my opinion that cyclists should be registered just like any other road user and have been roundly attacked for expressing this opinion by other cyclist members here.

I think this bears out the logic in my suggestion.

As you can see it is not only cars that are a cyclists' nemesis on our roads, cyclists can cause harm to other cyclists or pedestrians etc.

code4pay
1st November 2014, 03:21 PM
Where I live the bike paths are crawling with tourists who don't keep to the left step out in front of you with nout looking I have had a few very close calls caused by pedestrians not paying attention so I wonder if they should also be registered and insured?

jhovel
2nd November 2014, 01:35 AM
The easiest and most common way for cyclists to insure themselves is via mebership with Cycling Victoria. That gives you pr=ersonal insurance and public liability to $20mill.
http://membership.cycling.org.au/
I don't know any more,but quite a few of my friends are members.

Evanism
2nd November 2014, 08:51 AM
I couldn't beleive it when I read the article. The logical progresssions are mind boggling.

What's next? Skateboard insurance? Pedestrian insurance? Lend your lawnmower insurance? Friends-over-for-BBQ insurance?

What if it were two kids riding home from school?

Why the need to screw every cent from us for each activity and have people covered under a single general liability. The same idiot in a car is the same turkey riding the bike and is the same fool who pushes a pedestrian under a bus.

What happens when poor people or those irresponsible aren't insured? Deport them?

This event will start huge changes in the way people behave to each other. This is going to cost everyone very dearly.

Master Splinter
2nd November 2014, 10:28 AM
Well, horses*, joggers and those people practising for the ski season on those tracked faux ski things use the 'cycle paths' here in Canberra - can we add horse and jogger etc insurance as well?

*I have a cycling friend who came off his bike on a cycle path courtesy of a slippery smear of horse poo on a corner.

A Duke
2nd November 2014, 04:40 PM
Well, horses*, joggers and those people practising for the ski season on those tracked faux ski things use the 'cycle paths' here in Canberra - can we add horse and jogger etc insurance as well?

*I have a cycling friend who came off his bike on a cycle path courtesy of a slippery smear of horse poo on a corner.
A lot of the paths in Canberra are Recreation trails and we tolerate cyclists, others are shared paths with notices along the way to tell users how to treat each other, if they can read.
:D

Hunch
1st March 2015, 06:51 AM
Woodwork forums have a cycling forum, who knew....seems to be a massive number that could be culled I must say, probably this one too going by the numbers.

Anyhow, the old rego furphy. If you go back in time, registration was introduced to control those damn infernal combustion machines and rise of pedestrian deaths, as they were deemed a serious hazard.

The guy sued was insured, so no need for concern there, pretty much the reason for the case. Probably a good percentage of cyclists are insured, but unaware their normal insurance covers them too. I'd be much more concerned about the hundred thousand unregistered, uninsured, unlicensed vehicles said to be in NSW alone, roaming about the place. The nominal defendent must get a workout!