PDA

View Full Version : Saw making course

RayG
3rd November 2014, 01:10 PM
I was asked to run a saw making class for a Melbourne based woodworking school (Handsome & Co). The class was last Saturday and it was great fun, and we had 8 students and they all completed their saws.

I opted for a Kenyon style small dovetail saw, with 15 thou plate, 18tpi and 1/2" bevelled brass backs with walnut handles..

I used saw screws from Isaac at Blackburn tools (http://www.blackburntools.com/new-tools/new-saws-and-related/saw-bolts/index.html), and made it with a 3/4 medallion screw and a 7/16 screw. First time I've used Isaac's carbide spade bits, and I'm sold... they worked beautifully..

Pictures are up on Handsome & Co's web site.. http://www.handsomeandco.com/education/photographs-from-the-dovetail-saw-making-short-course/

Ray

planemaker
3rd November 2014, 05:21 PM
Great work Ray.

Good to hear you enjoyed using the solid carbide bit.

What did you use to seat Isaac's saw screws.

Are those that attended from this forum.

Stewie;

RayG
3rd November 2014, 06:26 PM
Great work Ray.

Good to hear you enjoyed using the solid carbide bit.

What did you use to seat Isaac's saw screws.

Are those that attended from this forum.

Stewie;

Thanks Stewie, I didn't think to ask who was on the forum? I think Elliot is, but probably not active in this section... but then after the course, I think we might have some new saw makers.. :)

I just used 3/4" and 7/16" forstner bits to counterbore the saw screws, and then drilled 6mm from the nut side to allow for the shaft on the nut side, finally drilled 3/16 through. I used 1/16 at the start to mark through both sides as per normal. The saw plate holes are 3/16, which is a bit loose on the screw shank, and I think I'll machine up some sleeves to tighten it up a little.

One of the guys did some fancy file work on the brass back, looked pretty slick! All managed to cut the 18 tpi teeth, better than I thought. Next time I might go for 15 tpi..

Ray

Heavansabove
4th November 2014, 10:28 AM
Sounds great Ray, the group must have worked fast (and I guess you had plenty of equipment to avoid bottlenecks), I think it a great idea for everyone to be making the exact same saw. The Blackburn screws are 0.164ʺ, so a loose fit in the 3/16" hole as you found. Not sure why Isaac did this, a quick go with a round file seems to produce enough room for the screw not to bind. I use Stewie's setup for saw screws and it works really well. I am impressed the lads did 18tpi, I have reached my limit I think at 14tpi. Did the group use a scroll saw to cut out the handle?

I have started using the AngleMag (NSW Woodworkers Assoc was giving one way with membership subscription, too good to pass up) for starting the saw slot. Starting with a Lee Valley fine pull saw (0.020" including set), and finishing with a 0.020" backsaw with no set to get a nice square narrow slot. My kack-handed sawing needs a jig of some sort. These pictures give an idea I hope, excuse the mess in the background:

A Sydney saw making workshop is on the backburner - can't find a suitable workshop, and I have been away/am going away most of recent months/rest of year. Unfortunately TTTG is still searching for an adequate workshop, and I have not yet found a suitable Men's Shed, or other alternative. I am impressed you managed to get toothing done in the one day, I was thinking of a one day workshop for making the saw, and then the group doing a TTTG one day saw sharpening workshop at a later date to do the toothing and sharpening. But then I am a slow old codger.

Stewie, handled a saw of your making at Brett's place in Katoomba last Sunday - beautiful piece of work.

cheers
Peter

planemaker
4th November 2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the kudos Peter. Great to hear the saw bolt kit is working well for you.

For all the students at Ray's workshop to complete their backsaws in the 1 day I may need to take some lessons on time management.

Looking forward to viewing your backsaw work Peter. I have little doubt they will look awesome.

Kudos to Ray as well as Ian for running these saw making workshops. :2tsup::2tsup:

Stewie;

RayG
4th November 2014, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the kudos Peter. Great to hear the saw bolt kit is working well for you.

For all the students at Ray's workshop to complete their backsaws in the 1 day I may need to take some lessons on time management.

Looking forward to viewing your backsaw work Peter. I have little doubt they will look awesome.

Kudos to Ray as well as Ian for running these saw making workshops. :2tsup::2tsup:

Stewie;

Thanks Stewie, You should come and teach the next one... I saved a fair bit of time by having the saw plate prepared and drilled in advance, and making all the same saw makes it easier...
The final shaping and finishing of the handle is the area where you can spend forever, so we left the bulk of that till last.

Sounds great Ray, the group must have worked fast (and I guess you had plenty of equipment to avoid bottlenecks), I think it a great idea for everyone to be making the exact same saw. The Blackburn screws are 0.164ʺ, so a loose fit in the 3/16" hole as you found. Not sure why Isaac did this, a quick go with a round file seems to produce enough room for the screw not to bind. I use Stewie's setup for saw screws and it works really well. I am impressed the lads did 18tpi, I have reached my limit I think at 14tpi. Did the group use a scroll saw to cut out the handle?

Hi Peter, I made saw vises using strips of pine, this picture shows the basic kit of parts. ( The saw screws are wrapped up in paper. )

http://www.handsomeandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/HCo_BacksawMakingCourse_02.jpg
Above picture from http://www.handsomeandco.com

We had bottle necks early on around the bandsaw and drill press, but once they cleared it was plain sailing.

I remember Isaac saying there was a reason for the loose fit on the saw screws... sticking maybe? but I find with the saw nuts done up tight, the friction is sufficient anyway.

The 18 tpi was filed with a hacksaw blade as the guide template, and for an 8" saw it takes no more than 15 to 20 minutes.. You need good lighting, but even complete novices at filing were able to do an acceptable job. 15 tpi would be easier to see... maybe that's what I'll go for next time.

Ray

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2014, 07:47 PM
:doh: didn't think of using the anglemag

Simplicity
4th November 2014, 07:56 PM
Well done Ray
Looks like a great turn out.
And a few more saw makers maybe
I personally like the one with the decorative filling on the back.
But I do have soft spot for that kind of work.
Well done Matt

Heavansabove
4th November 2014, 09:02 PM
:doh: didn't think of using the anglemag

Nick, have you seen the post on Derek's tenon jig? Better than the AngleMag I suspect.

Ray, ah, I see the advantages of preparation and a single song book. I use hacksaws as well as templates - can be a problem finding them in the middle bracket - 12 to 16ppi. Power blades good for coarser saws, and then jumps up a lot for hand hack saw blades. Might try the Paul Sellers templates for the middle bracket saws. Or make saw plate templates - who has a toothing machine? I am finding paper templates too hard for my aged eyes.

Cheers
Peter

batman3000
6th November 2014, 09:59 PM
Here's a photo of a saw I made on the day. Don't look too closely. I really enjoyed the course with Ray. If I get organised I'd like to make a few more.

planemaker
6th November 2014, 10:24 PM
Hi Batman. Excellent work. Well done.

Stewie; :2tsup:

RayG
7th November 2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Batman,

Welcome to the forum, you will find plenty of help and inspiration in this forum, some of the best saw makers around hang out around here.

Ray

batman3000
7th November 2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks to you both

Hi Batman,

Welcome to the forum, you will find plenty of help and inspiration in this forum, some of the best saw makers around hang out around here.

Ray

jhovel
7th November 2014, 08:01 PM
Hi Ray,
are you intending or planning another course that Steve (my SIL) and I could attend? I had expressed an interest in the last one early on but then was interstate at the time of the course..... Would really like to know more.

RayG
7th November 2014, 08:45 PM
Hi Ray,
are you intending or planning another course that Steve (my SIL) and I could attend? I had expressed an interest in the last one early on but then was interstate at the time of the course..... Would really like to know more.

Hi Joe,

I think that Handsome and Co are interested in doing another course next year, but with your skill set and workshop, I think you already have it covered. :) Maybe next time you are over this way we can do something.

Ray