PDA

View Full Version : CTS vs Shelix Spiral Cutterheads.

spokeshave
4th November 2014, 12:27 PM
Hi all.

Done a quick search for the above question but found limited results so thought I would just throw it out there for opinions.

I have a Carbatec CTJ-381 thicknesser that i want to convert to a spiral head. I will probably purchase from Woodcraft Supplies (disappointed i couldnt get to the Melb TWWWS to see them first hand).

Has anyone out there bought the CTS version instead of Shelix?

Is it worth saving the $$$ by getting the CTS?

Looking forward to your replies.

Steven.

fletty
4th November 2014, 10:30 PM
Hi Steven,
I bought spiral cutters at last year's Sydney Wood Show to convert my JET jointer and Carbatec thicknesser. The dealer sold both Shelix and Chinese made heads and, because of availability, I bought 1 Chinese (CTS) and 1 Shelix. I cannot now tell you which is which! They both work beautifully.
fletty

spokeshave
5th November 2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks fletty.

My preference was for the Shelix, but was just open to others experience, if any, with the CTS.

Thanks again.

Steven.

Damienol
24th August 2015, 07:28 PM
From what I have heard you can't tell them apart

elanjacobs
24th August 2015, 08:26 PM
They look the same in pictures, the biggest difference probably just comes down to made in USA or China.
We have Shelix heads for the buzzer, thicknesser and spindle moulder at work and can't find much bad to say.

Glenn.Visca
24th August 2015, 08:33 PM
Just bought and installed a CTS for my 1950s buzzer.

Works very very nicely. I originally thought it was .008" out of alignment to the table. A subsequent check revealed it was around .0005" out ... Just fine for timber work.

Currently machining Sydney blue gum. Finish with or against the grain is excellent.

However, machine marks still likely to be visible without some sort of final finishing either by smoother or sandpaper or scraper. I expect ANY spiral head would be the same.

sje-tools
25th August 2015, 12:20 PM
Just be aware CTS actually produce two different spiral heads:
http://www.ctsmanufacturing.com/products_show.asp?productid=1221 (http://www.ctsmanufacturing.com/products_show.asp?productid=1221)
http://www.ctsmanufacturing.com/products_show.asp?productid=1222

One is the Byrd style using the same 15x15x2.5 100mm radius edge inserts (the productid 1221 link) where as the other is there own spiral with uses 14x14x2 straight edge inserts. (I think actual photos are the wrong way around on the links)

Out of interest I will most likely be getting some 14x14x2 inserts in my next order . . :)

jazzy69
25th August 2015, 06:27 PM
So what figure are we looking at, say for a 15" jet cutter head with a shelix vs chinese brand?
Regards,
Ross

elanjacobs
25th August 2015, 07:32 PM
So what figure are we looking at, say for a 15" jet cutter head with a shelix vs chinese brand?
Regards,
Ross
This guy sells both: http://www.wizardproducts.com.au/c44/Spiral-Cutter-blocks--Helical-Cutter-Blocks.htm?CFID=25209106&CFTOKEN=44217583
Send him a message and you'll have your answer

doug3030
25th August 2015, 09:20 PM
This guy sells both: http://www.wizardproducts.com.au/c44/Spiral-Cutter-blocks--Helical-Cutter-Blocks.htm?CFID=25209106&CFTOKEN=44217583
Send him a message and you'll have your answer

This is an extract from an email I got back from Robert earlier this month:

Our quotation for the two spiral cutters as follows;
A 1 only G-15 spiral cutter (Shelix $1375.00) and (CTS $1150.00)
B 1 only CTJ-350 8” spiral cutter (Shelix $795.00) and (CTS $695.00)
C Delivery to Melbourne normally $110.00/2

Our inventory situation is OK for the G-15 but we are awaiting delivery of the Shelix 8” cutter, so I would suggest for value and stock situation, we can supply both of the cutters as CTS.
If this is acceptable to you, I would offer these two cutters, for collection at the Melbourne T&WWW Show for the total value of $XXXX.XX (incl.GST)

I cannot guarantee that his price is still the same now as it was then and I have edited out the discount he gave me for buying two as that was a private arrangement and I do not want him to feel compelled to match it for anyone else. Suffice it to say I was satisfied with his offer and have since ordered and paid. Prices were what he offered me for both brands at the time. Fluctuations in the Aussie dollar and other factors may have affected Shelix and/or CTS prices since then but that should give an indication of what they are worth.

These heads are for a 15" carbatec thicknesser and 8" longbed carbatec jointer.

Cheers

Doug

sje-tools
26th August 2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks to a conversation with Glenn.Visca last night - I have now discovered the main difference between the CTS and the official Byrd cutterheads is that the CTS head uses slightly different inserts.

The CTS uses 15x15x2.5 r150 4r0.5 rather than the standard Byrd 15x15x2.5 r100 - the difference is slight however if you are getting slight lines and you've got the Byrd inserts this could be the reason - the rounded corners (4r0.5) being the main difference.

I will actually be getting these CTS cutter inserts in stock in a few weeks time normal pricing being AU$3.90 per pcs for 4r0.5 inserts.

Cheers

Steve