PDA

View Full Version : Joggling Board

sarah73
3rd July 2005, 04:56 PM
Hi there,
I was wanting to know if anyone has the template for making joggling boards, and if so what wood is best to use?

Here is a link to what they look like...

http://www.oldcharlestonjogglingboard.com

thanks

sarah

Bob Willson
3rd July 2005, 07:09 PM
Why would you need any sort of a template Sarah?
It is just a plank sitting on a couple of Ts. The only other thing needed is pegs through the plank to stop one end of the plank sliding off the T

sarah73
3rd July 2005, 09:49 PM
hi there thanks for that i have no idea on how to go about making it i or should i say my husband has never made anything with wood before, i will look up how to make the t's, just looking at it does it look expensive to make as to buy one here its nearly $2000

echnidna
3rd July 2005, 09:54 PM
I recall seeing plans or a diy article online a year or so ago.
Try a google search, you may get lucky.

craigb
3rd July 2005, 10:01 PM
just looking at it does it look expensive to make as to buy one here its nearly $2000

Two thousand bucks :eek: :eek:

If you made it out of Oregon, I reckon that it'd probably cost you less than $100 for the timber.

Add ten bucks for the black paint.

echnidna
3rd July 2005, 10:08 PM
A piece of 200 x 38 Oregon would do the job but I wouldnt make it so high.

AlexS
3rd July 2005, 11:34 PM
If you offered anyone on this forum $2000 to make one you'd be killed in the rush.

The line starts behind me :D

Ian007
3rd July 2005, 11:38 PM
If you offered anyone on this forum $2000 to make one you'd be killed in the rush.

The line starts behind me :D

I should think you might get killed in the rush at $1000

Cheers Ian :)

E. maculata
3rd July 2005, 11:49 PM
I reckon a good piece of Spotted Gum for the long "joggly" plank would be the ducks flippers, strong yet very very bouncy :D

boban
4th July 2005, 12:07 AM
Wouldn't a trampoline be less expensive and safer?

derekcohen
4th July 2005, 01:14 AM
I reckon if you are going to paint it, using treated pine would be the cheapest solution. $50?

Regards from Perth

Derek

E. maculata
4th July 2005, 01:23 AM
Derek definitely not looking to argue pine v decent timbers, but the Modulus of Rupture (MOR=breakage point sorta) is relatively quite low with most pinus types, which I reckon would render it as a lower order choice if I was gettin all joggly on one :D

derekcohen
4th July 2005, 01:26 AM
Hi Bruce

True --- I was thinking about the supports, not the cross piece.

Regards from Perth

Derek

bsrlee
4th July 2005, 02:56 AM
Egads! :eek: That Lexington Green paint must be expensive.

Ok, so you'd need a few tools to make it - 2 x pegged Mortise & tennon joints for the upright-to-rocker feet, 4 x M&T joints for the cross bars to up-right joints, 6 holes for the pegs to stop the end rockers from coming off the boards.

Saw, band saw (optional), hammer, couple of chisels, drill press (or good hand drill) and a couple of drill bits, pencil, square, ruler/tape. Power or hand sander & sanding stuff, paint & brush.

Even buying all the gear new for this project, it wouldn't cost $2,000 all up, including wood, unless you went feral.

sarah73
4th July 2005, 10:15 AM
thankyou all so much :), i think we will give it a go,, i couldnt justify spending that much on it... We just want to put it under the tree in the backyard to sit out on, as they have quite a calming effect! ha