PDA

View Full Version : Kid proof jointer

knucklehead
3rd July 2005, 07:45 PM
Well nothing will really keep kids out but this makes me feel better.

This is simply a speaker magnet placed in front of the blade cover. Because it is in front there is no way to touch the blades.
Speaker magnets are very strong (cast iron table helps). The one in the picture is from a 3 inch speaker cone and I cannot lift it off the table. To remove it I either pry it off with a screw driver or slide it off the edge of the table.

Caliban
3rd July 2005, 08:15 PM
Why the username if you are this safety conscious and inventive?
Well done. Must do likewise when I get my jointer.

echnidna
3rd July 2005, 09:14 PM
Padlock on the door protects all tools from the kids.
Or are you trying to protect the kids from the tools?

knucklehead
4th July 2005, 06:13 PM
Padlock on the door protects all tools from the kids.
Or are you trying to protect the kids from the tools?
The kids actually have several of thier own hand tools. It seems to have cured them of being interested in mine. They also have a milk crate full of offcuts that they can use.
The stationary tools are a different story. The jointer issue came about when I was cutting away on the table saw (ear muffs on) only to turn around and see my 3 year old checking out the way the jointer blade cover pivots. Luckily it was unplugged at the wall (as I try to do each day). It does make you think "what if".

Harry72
4th July 2005, 08:28 PM
Ive got a 280oz magnet on a 15" Soundstream subwoofer I reckon that'll work well!

knucklehead
4th July 2005, 08:32 PM
Ive got a 280oz magnet on a 15" Soundstream subwoofer I reckon that'll work well!
Harry, you could use that with a hoist and hang it from the ceiling.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Harry72
4th July 2005, 08:35 PM
Its actualy wider than a 6" jointer table(bout 9" in dia)