PDA

View Full Version : Traditional upholsterers

Xanthorrhoeas
8th November 2014, 08:30 PM
I am looking for a traditional upholsterer that uses tacks and good old fashioned teased horsehair instead of modern foams and staples. Preferably in Brisbane or nearby. Has anyone had any recent experience?

Fuzzie
8th November 2014, 08:46 PM
I don't know about the horse hair but we had good service from a local upholsterer recovering a classic French Louis sofa last year.

I think the biggest problem with aiming for traditional techniques these days is the sourcing of appropriate consumables.

http://www.pioneerupholstery.com.au/

Xanthorrhoeas
8th November 2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks Fuzzie,

I have the teased horsehair and the fabric also made from horsehair, so that is not a problem. I will give them a call. By-the-way you can still get the teased horsehair stuffing from H Leffler and Sons in Melbourne.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xanthorrhoeas
12th November 2014, 09:46 PM
Unfotunately, Pioneer tell me that they do not do fully traditional upholstery with tacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Xanthorrhoeas
18th December 2014, 10:23 AM
Hi all,

To keep this thread alive I thought that I would post an update.

For the interest of members I have been referred to an upholsterer in Greater Brisbane (Sandgate actually) who does traditional style upholstery with traditional fabrics and uses tacks to finish off (instead of staples). They currently have my double ended Victorian cedar sofa to do. I will report back once I see the end product - that is if they do a good job! Probably best not to report their name on the forum until I am sure I can recommend them.

David

Xanthorrhoeas
21st January 2015, 03:35 PM
I am still waiting to see how this goes. The upholsterer is enjoying Christmas and won't be back for another couple of weeks. I wish I had that many holidays!

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I'll let you know.

David

Xanthorrhoeas
18th February 2015, 01:25 PM
An update, the sofa was returned to us yesterday, the work was done by Parry and Williams Upholstery, Sandgate. They did a great job at a very reasonable price. I'll post a photo when I get the chance.

Regards

David