PDA

View Full Version : New Vase for Exhibition

brendan stemp
8th November 2014, 10:12 PM
I have just finished all the pieces for an exhibition I will be having in my local town, Horsham.
This is one of the pieces. It is made from 3 pieces of Blackwood, Gumnuts and epoxy resin.
I am please with the result but it wasn't much fun making. 3 hours of turning and 20 sanding!!
I will post more pics of other pieces up on my Facebook page if you are interested in seeing more.
Or you are welcome to come to the opening of the exhibition on Friday 14th Nov. See FB page for details which I will post on Sunday.

Evanism
9th November 2014, 01:35 AM
Oh, I really do like that.

The gum nuts are exceedingly effective. Would you mind telling what you used to colour the epoxy?

Kidbee
9th November 2014, 07:07 AM
Crikey, it's a real beauty; well done!

elderly
9th November 2014, 07:20 AM
Very nice Brenden.I will be at the opening.
Cheers Frank.

brendan stemp
9th November 2014, 08:46 AM
Oh, I really do like that.

The gum nuts are exceedingly effective. Would you mind telling what you used to colour the epoxy?

I don't. It is clear epoxy and if there were a light shining into the vase this would be more obvious. The fact the inside is in shadow makes it look as though the resin is coloured.

Treecycle
9th November 2014, 09:33 AM
Beautiful work Brendan. The use of the sapwood really sets it off. Such an artist:2tsup:.

dai sensei
9th November 2014, 09:57 AM
Looks great :2tsup:, I love the sapwood placed towards the join :cool:. Just not sure about the plug piece, because of the way it cuts into the sapwood :-, perhaps some more gum nuts up top to separate the sapwood from the plug would look better :think:.

tea lady
9th November 2014, 10:36 AM
I often wonder why wood turning isn't called wood sanding. But I guess no one would want to do it then. :D

I do like your vase. Casting it like that makes great use of the contrast of the sap wood. :2tsup:

george mavridis
9th November 2014, 11:40 AM
Beautiful Brendan, I saw the other photos on your facebook page. Due to distance I can't get to the exhibition but I hope it's a roaring success for you.

http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

brendan stemp
9th November 2014, 03:08 PM
Looks great :2tsup:, I love the sapwood placed towards the join :cool:. Just not sure about the plug piece, because of the way it cuts into the sapwood :-, perhaps some more gum nuts up top to separate the sapwood from the plug would look better :think:.

Thanks for the critique Neil. I know what you mean about the insert. I had always wanted to do something for a collar and initially thought about some timber the same colour as the sapwood, but couldn't find anything that would match well enough.

smiife
9th November 2014, 03:18 PM
Hi brendon,
Very nice, looks great,
I wish i could get down your way to have a look
at the exhibition, maybe you post some piccies
after it, s finished and when you get time?

derekcohen
9th November 2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Brendan

That is very superior work. You deserve to do well, and I hope you get a great price if selling.

The only criticism I have is the collar. Rather than trying to match the colour of the sapwood, I would have made it dark. However this may be because the resin looks dark in the photo - which is a contrast I really like.

Excellent work once again.

Regards from Perth

Derek

dai sensei
9th November 2014, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the critique Neil. I know what you mean about the insert. I had always wanted to do something for a collar and initially thought about some timber the same colour as the sapwood, but couldn't find anything that would match well enough.

This is what I was thinking, but it would require a totally new cast with a lot more resin :-

dennisk
10th November 2014, 03:36 AM
Wont be able to make it to the show, snowing like mad up here today.Yesterday went for a last spin in the convertible, and today im shoveling snow.
The vase is great as is, to my eye. Somewhere there has to be a transition, and with such dissimilar materials I think you nailed it.

Christos
10th November 2014, 08:41 AM
A very nice piece. I can see how the hours of sanding could come about. Was all the sanding done on the lathe or some done off the lathe?

Tangoman
11th November 2014, 04:20 PM
Brendan,

That's a fantastic piece, love the thought and imagination that went into it !

Cam