PDA

View Full Version : Ayao lathe deal??

Faulko
9th November 2014, 10:16 PM
Almost tempted at this price.....anyone have any experience with this lathe? Opinions?:?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ayao-Heavy-Duty-Wood-Lathe-Headstock-Rotation-1100W-Brand-New-/181215948560?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

dai sensei
9th November 2014, 10:33 PM
Hmm, looks like a JET knock-off. I doubt "made in our factory" unless their factory is in China. Specs certainly look Ok but not familiar with unit. It suggests pick-up, and I would do so, to check it out properly.

issatree
10th November 2014, 12:12 AM
Hi Faulko,
Like Neil says, try & check it out.
The Only 2 things I could see was, it was 3phase, but could be run on Single Phase, fair enough. Makes one think.
The other was the Thread on the Headstock.
33 x 3.5mm. Never heard of 33mm. Thread, but then I don't know all.
If it is fair dinkum, then how could you go wrong, as it is Variable as well, by the look at the Headstock.
Please, let us all know what you find, as they will not be able to keep up Supply, if it is for real.
Wonder what Jim knows ????.

Hermit
10th November 2014, 01:14 AM
The other was the Thread on the Headstock.
33 x 3.5mm. Never heard of 33mm. Thread, but then I don't know all.

Vicmarc have an M33 x 3.5mm insert to suit their chucks, so this isn't a problem.
Wish I had a spare $700.....

Faulko
10th November 2014, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I cant get to QLD to check it out, so if I go for it, it'll be a leap of faith.

Even with delivery, if its straight and true, seems to hard to go wrong - a big 'if', and I'm not normally a gambler...

I did ask them some questions via ebay, and got very prompt responses, with pics (see below - sorry, they're really small), including of within the headstock (after some prompting), and below. I asked about any slop between the bedways with the tailstock (they said no), and i wanted to be sure the bottom of the tailstock was machined properly flat (they said it was). These questions were based on my looking at a similar lathe in the flesh near me.

Mobyturns
10th November 2014, 08:20 AM
It is pretty much a generic lathe sold by a few retailers. Leda craft have a similar version (Ledacraft model wl-1100v) for $2100. I would be very wary about the pricing and the whole deal given a Carbatec similar capacity lathe is on sale now for $1999.
http://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/LEDACRAFT-WL-1100V-WOOD-LATHE/130609/
Payment on pickup may give you some protection against fraud but how will it perform in the long run and there will be no retailer backup what so ever in the future.

Treecycle
10th November 2014, 01:39 PM
Very similar design to these http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W387 but as Neil says, more like a clone of the Jet.
I have the H&F lathe and it performs well. The build quality is about what you would expect from China, but not at that low end that you can get with some machines. I notice it has an 1100W motor compared to 1500W on the H&F. The owners manual for mine stated that the headstock spindle was M33 x 3.5, but it was actually M30 x 3.5, so if you do go ahead double check before buying any inserts.

Jim Carroll
10th November 2014, 04:20 PM
Its the old adage in woodworking, you want cheap you get cheap.

Buyer beware

Paul39
15th November 2014, 04:38 AM
I agree with posts # 6 & # 7 above. As ebay is slanted toward buyer protection I don't think you will be defrauded. There is always a chance of something being broken in shipping and possibly something not quite right.

If you don't buy from a retailer across town, there is always risk of difficulties. The 33 X 3.5 is common in Europe and there are chucks and adapters made for that. It is a nice big spindle to hold a big chuck for making bowls. I have 33 X 3.5 Hegner from Germany and 1 1/4 X 8 Woodfast from AU. 1 1/4 inch is 31.75mm.

I think the Ayao is a house brand sticker applied to a generic lathe made in China. If a comparable lathe can be bought for $1999 you have a little room for minor fixing from $700 plus shipping.

What I interpret from the ebay offering is that it has a 3 phase motor and a variable frequency drive that works from single phase.

The variable frequency drive has been a problem on some cheaper lathes in the range of $500 - $1000 retail. I do not call a $2000ish lathe a cheap lathe. A new variable frequency drive can be bought in the US for about $150.

Damienol
14th December 2015, 09:13 PM
I am very tempted by this. Did you end up getting one?

artful bodger
14th December 2015, 10:20 PM
If I was me I'd rather a second hand woodfast or vicmarc.

Faulko
14th December 2015, 10:57 PM
Nope, didn't do it. Ultimately, given what I'm hoping is a lifetime, or close to it, investment, i resisted the temptation to risk a purchase. I got the cougar lathe (the 40cm swing/2hp) from Trend Timber instead. So far so good. It's obviously not a vicmarc, which i still covet, but don't have any complaints yet, touch wood.