PDA

View Full Version : sash v pipe clamps

aabb
3rd July 2005, 11:43 PM
Hi,

What is the practical differance between sash clamps and pipe clamps and which do you recommend ?

Thanks

soundman
4th July 2005, 12:07 AM
Sash clamps are big heavy expensive and can apply realy strong clamping force.
Pipe clamps are cheap, cheerfull, can apply reasonsbly strong clamping force and are more flexible as far as length. Want a diferent length ? Buy more pipe.

tips & traps.
the plate clitch pipe clamps are better but They do not tolerate out of tolerance pipe diameters. Take the heads when you buy pipe.

Get yor pipe threaded both ends. you can then join your pipes to get more length with threaded joiners

cheers

aabb
4th July 2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks soundman

Sorry, if I had done a proper search I would have found this thread that answers my question well.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5213

Albert

russgail
26th August 2005, 10:52 PM
Hi aabb

The sash clamps will give you a better clamp. Their design is stronger and will not bend as easy under the strain, but yes, the pipe is good for making the lengths to the job.

Cheers Russ

Lignum
27th August 2005, 01:57 PM
Ponys are the go, with the "red" pipe from metal suppliers. gal pipe is to slipery. Also, "super cheap auto" sells the chinese versions for $11.90 and if used with .750 mm pipe makes great small cheap clamps. Pipe is sold in 6mt lenghts so youl get 8 from a lenght :)

outback
27th August 2005, 02:34 PM
Wow, .750mm pipe, that's really really small.

redwood
28th January 2006, 04:04 PM
http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au (http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/)

whats this site got to do with pipe/sash clamps:confused: we are talkin good cheap clamps not thousand dollar plus pneumatic presses:(

echnidna
28th January 2006, 04:09 PM
Both types have a place in the workshop.
I mainly use sash clamps as they are stiffer than pipe clamps
but I have a pair of pipe clamps on 8 ft pipes for the odd big job
(and for squaring cabinets while I fit the backs)

Just George
29th January 2006, 10:18 PM
Ponys are the go, with the "red" pipe from metal suppliers. gal pipe is to slipery. Also, "super cheap auto" sells the chinese versions for $11.90 and if used with .750 mm pipe makes great small cheap clamps. Pipe is sold in 6mt lenghts so youl get 8 from a lenght :)

Don't waste your time buying these from SuperCheap. The Threaded end didn't match up to the pipe, I was lucky though as it was the other end that I needed. Buy some off Soundman($13 each/minimum buy 2) or from Timbecon or Carbatec.

Malic
29th January 2006, 11:43 PM
I was after an answer to the same question, more so cause I need a clamp that will do 1900, so im gathering the only way I can get that is to go with a pipe clamp?

I was looking at these ones at the bottom of the page, any good u think?

http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/sash-panel-clamps-325_0.aspx

Lignum
30th January 2006, 12:00 AM
Don't waste your time buying these from SuperCheap. The Threaded end didn't match up to the pipe, I was lucky though as it was the other end that I needed. Buy some off Soundman($13 each/minimum buy 2) or from Timbecon or Carbatec.

George:) the SuperCheap Auto clamps have been fine and no problems with threads for me. But i only use them with 750 mm lengths so the stress on them is minimal.

And Malic if you are going to use long lengths use "Black pipe" as its a heavier gauge or the red pipe at least. Avoid at all costs the zinc covered pipes as they are way to slippery. And the ones on the Timbecon pages are the Torquita and are Pony copies. I haven't used them but for $14.90 they do look ok:)

soundman
2nd February 2006, 11:18 PM
Yep you could get some pipe clamps from soundman if the hopeless blitter could organise himself some stock!!!:D
still working on reliable supplies.
cheers

Auld Bassoon
3rd February 2006, 08:32 PM
I have a modest collection of 600mm ~ 1800mm clamps - some sash ("I" bar), some pipe, some just hardwood with clamp-ends and appropriate locating holes drilled through at roughly 50mm increments. Of this genre, probably around 18 or so only - so far.

Curiously, the ones I use the most are the shop-made hardwood ones with clamp-ends; not so heavy as the iron sash-clamps, but more rigid than the pipe clamps. Also, if I need a different size, easy to make up.

I always try and keep a couple of pairs of new clamp-ends for "that special size" - but they always seem to end up in permanent position...

Greg Q
3rd February 2006, 09:08 PM
Ditto the timber beam clamps with the Record or Dawn heads.

If you have bar clamps already, the end stops can be removed and the sliding section removed. Two such sections can the be bolted together. Tee-section bars probably cannot, unless the pin holes are low enough (unlikely).

K-body clamps can also be joined. The sliding parts removed, and the bars bolted through the hole for the foot. Obviously one clamp is re-assembled as a spreader for this to work.

soundman
23rd February 2006, 11:01 PM
finaly the much talked about pipe clamps have arrived in stock.
see the sell and swap section for details.
cheers

Richardwoodhead
24th February 2006, 09:53 AM
In the FWIW category, I've been down a "journey of discovery" regarding pipe & sash clamps. Pipe clamps are not nearly as strong or "stable" as sash clamps. I only use pipe clamps where sash clamps can't be used, or I run out of sash clamps.

Anyway, I used to think Record made the best sash clamps. Then I stumbled across a new breed of sash clamp made by KR Engineering in Perth. These clamps were reviewed by Aust Wood Review (AWR) magazine about mid year 2004. Once you've used these clamps there's no turning back! Very quick to set-up. Very strong and stable. Lovely to use. Anyone in the market for clamps should look into these....

KR Engineering ( WA ) Pty Ltd
288 Victoria Rd Malaga 6090 (08) 9209 3055
fax (08) 9209 3099
Mobile Service 0407 755 275
Email [email protected]

Just George
24th February 2006, 05:45 PM
In the FWIW category, I've been down a "journey of discovery" regarding pipe & sash clamps. Pipe clamps are not nearly as strong or "stable" as sash clamps. I only use pipe clamps where sash clamps can't be used, or I run out of sash clamps.

How much clamping pressure does one need? Pipe clamps give a good amount of pressure, any more and I'd personally be affraid of bruising the timber even when blocks are used.

Richardwoodhead
25th February 2006, 06:05 AM
I agree with you 100% George. Clamping force is not the issue in comparing clamps. It's ease of use & stability. However, that said, IMHO, some sash clamps (Record / KR Eng) seem to provide a nicer "feel" when applying clamping pressure. Pipe clamps seem to go from "loose" to "tight" in about a fraction of a handle turn. Good sash clamps, to me, give a much better feel and allow for better pressure adjustment.

Richard