PDA

View Full Version : Beginner requesting advice on cutting coves

Eowyn
12th November 2014, 10:55 PM
A few years ago I did a wood turning weekend course somewhere, but only recently got a (Aldi) lathe, and I'm currently following the instructions in "Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Mike Darlow for my first practice piece.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong with the left side of the coves in this pic?

ian
13th November 2014, 12:25 AM
it looks like

1. your tool is not sharp

2. you are cutting the grain up hill

3. you are using the "wrong" tool for your level of experience

Hermit
13th November 2014, 01:10 AM
The left-hand cove looks like Ian's #2 suggestion - cutting against the grain.
Are you cutting in from both sides toward the centre, (with the grain), or cutting the cove in one sweep from one side to the other? If the latter, that's your problem.

Out of interest, what tool are you using?

And welcome to woodturning. Lots of fun to be had.

Mobyturns
13th November 2014, 09:36 AM
Go to http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Wood-Turning-Art/The-Gouge-Used-For-Turning-Coves.html#.VGPebjSUd8E

It gives a pretty good description of the cutting sequence used with a fingernail grind on a "spindle gouge" or "detail gouge."

"The gouge, in turning a cove makes three distinct movements:
(a) rolling from a vertical to a horizontal position;
(b) the handle is pried outward, forcing the cutting edge into the center;
(c) the handle is held high when starting and lowered when finishing.

It must be remembered that the cutting stroke each time stops in the center of the cove, and the gouge should not be worked up on the other side; otherwise the fibers of the wood will be torn, leaving the cove in a rough condition."

This site by wood turner Jon Siegel has some great advice http://www.bigtreeturnings.com/articles.html

dai sensei
13th November 2014, 10:04 AM
Join a club, they can teach you heaps

Treecycle
13th November 2014, 10:24 AM
It also looks like the workpiece is vibrating which could be caused by the light build of an Aldi lathe.
What speed are you using?
Is your chisel really sharp?

Woodturnerjosh
13th November 2014, 12:07 PM
you'll find a few videos on youtube if you want to watch someone do one (if you can't get to a club). Here's one such video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSybPNw4F1o he starts with a scraper (which I wouldn't do) but goes on to show the use of a spindle gouge.
You might find it helpful...

Eowyn
13th November 2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the responses. I'll be checking out the video later

1. your tool is not sharp - Very Possible. It is brand new out of the box from Carbatec.

2. you are cutting the grain up hill - no

3. you are using the "wrong" tool for your level of experience . - the box of six tools had two very similar detail gouges, so i wasn't sure if there was a difference between those two. It's definetly not the roughing gouge though.

Speed - currently on the slowest speed, which is possibly part of the problem. (Aldi lathe has four speeds, which you change by changing the belt position on the pulleys - hence Aldi cheap)

Lathe vibration - not obviously a problem and I can do the right side of the coves ok (mostly). It's the left side that is spiral and bumpy.

I'm looking for a club or a course in South East melbourne.

tea lady
13th November 2014, 03:02 PM
It is hard to get both sides of a cove working like a mirror image. Could be just a subtle angle change. Rubbing the bevel to hard. Or scraping instead of cutting. Well done persisting with spindle turning first. Most people race on to bowls without that foundation.

I am a member at Knox Woodworkers, in Ferntree Gully. Lots of lathes and other tools there. And friendly blokes and blokettes. Turning group on Monday morning and Tuesday night I think. http://www.alchester.com.au/kdwc/ I started there. Now I help other people starting there. Come on down and I'm see what we can do. :)

Eowyn
13th November 2014, 06:54 PM
*sigh* I should have looked closer at the tool.

It's much easier with the detail gouge, than the bowl gouge.

_fly_
13th November 2014, 06:58 PM
glad you sorted it all out.

smiife
13th November 2014, 07:57 PM
Hi eowyn,
If I was you I would take up tealadies offer and
go along to their club, she will probably take you under
her wing and could answer a lot of questions you have
I have found most woodies to be only to willing to help
others, keep practicing and you will find it will come to you:U

Wood Collector
13th November 2014, 08:15 PM
I would get some tas oak or a soft hardwood to turn on to get better practice with than using pine as i found that it liked to tear out a bit.

tea lady
14th November 2014, 12:13 AM
Pine is fine. If you can do pine well you can do anything. :)

You can do spindles with the deep fluted bowl gouge, but it is a little easier to get a nice curve on coves with a shallower fluted spindle gouge. ( I doubt it is a "detail gouge". I don't think they come in the sets. They are usually something you can live without unless you have a specific use for them. Detail gouges have a very shallow flute. )

VikingCode
14th November 2014, 08:28 AM
I'm looking for a club or a course in South East melbourne.
Pops Shed (http://popsshed.com.au/) do two classes, an introductory pen turning class followed by a bowl turning class. They're out in Chirnside Park.

dougturner
14th November 2014, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Eowyn;1821203]A few years ago I did a wood turning weekend course somewhere, but only recently got a (Aldi) lathe, and I'm currently following the instructions in "Fundamentals of Woodturning" by Mike Darlow for my first practice piece.

Any ideas what i'm doing wrong with the left side of the coves in this pic?
331148 Eowyn, to me the result looks like "chatter" or vibration. How long is the piece in total, what diameter is it, and at what speed did you turn it? The spindle looks like it has been vibrating while being cut. Could be due to chisel not being sharp enough, or used incorrectly if using a detail gouge. My opinion, but could be any of the other comments from other posters too. Doug. :U