PDA

View Full Version : Nova DVR XP Lathe

colbra
16th November 2014, 09:19 AM
Hi All…. For some years I have had a small delta lathe although I am not a wood turner as such I turn up small wooden objects for wooden models and toys.
Over the last 12 months I have given thought to purchasing a more powerful lathe to do other turning projects I have decided to purchase a Teknatool® Nova DVR XP Lathe.

As always when I am not too sure about things I turn to you good people. So can I get some feedback on this lathe please.

colbra :)

wheelinround
16th November 2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Col

I have the older Nova 3000, there is a good write up by Rssr/Ern on the DVR XP on here.

I would be looking these days and I did on Friday at the Gougar 400 (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/cougar-lathes.html) from Trend Timbers I know 3 fellows who bought them 2 years ago and Peter Calabria Ozartisan off here has been using them now instead of the Nova at Artisan's On The Hill where he teaches. I can say the price is right.:2tsup:

Faulko
16th November 2014, 12:37 PM
Hi Colbra,

I'm a novice, and have been looking to upgrade my lathe. Over the past couple of months I probably read way too much re different lathes.
Re. the DVR you're looking at....Never seen one in the flesh, but from my reading the push button speed control seems to be a common gripe, presumably because turning a dial to control variable is more user friendly. Not sure if it was exactly the same nova you're looking at, but Richard Raffan reviewed three lathes in the Australian Wood review earlier this year, one of which was a big nova. Mr Raffan liked the big vicmarc the best, but from memory still had some positive comments about the nova - might be worth digging the review up.
Re. the Cougar - the same lathe is badged as the 1628VS under the Axminster trade series lathes in the UK. The available reviews seem favourable. I saw it in action yesterday (admittedly not doing major work), and it was quiet, solid and looked well finished.

Googling specific lathe reviews might also help.

Good luck

Mobyturns
16th November 2014, 01:21 PM
Hi Colbra,

I'm a novice, and have been looking to upgrade my lathe. Over the past couple of months I probably read way too much re different lathes.
Re. the DVR you're looking at....Never seen one in the flesh, but from my reading the push button speed control seems to be a common gripe, presumably because turning a dial to control variable is more user friendly. Not sure if it was exactly the same nova you're looking at, but Richard Raffan reviewed three lathes in the Australian Wood review earlier this year, one of which was a big nova. Mr Raffan liked the big vicmarc the best, but from memory still had some positive comments about the nova - might be worth digging the review up.
Re. the Cougar - the same lathe is badged as the 1628VS under the Axminster trade series lathes in the UK. The available reviews seem favourable. I saw it in action yesterday (admittedly not doing major work), and it was quiet, solid and looked well finished.

Googling specific lathe reviews might also help.

Good luck

I recently spent a couple of weeks in NZ while attending the wood turning symposium. Nova DVR's were the lathes used at the symposium. The biggest single gripe by demonstrators was the frustration in using the Nova speed control - push buttons.

I like the safety features built into the DVR design but I have never been a fan of their bed & leg design. I am very wary of the DVR's as I have a defibrillator/pacemaker and their design makes it difficult to maintain the recommended separation from the electric motor (potential EM interference etc) so I have only used the DVR's briefly. They performed well for the spindle work I did on them.

I spent a fair bit of time with well respected wood turner friends while in NZ and asked about their opinions of the DVR's. A couple of my friends over a number of years have been urging Teknatool to redesign the bed and banjo on the DVR & DVR XP lathes. They feel the design is unsafe as the banjo moves! The previous & current design of the banjo & bed does not have sufficient contact area i.e. friction between the banjo & bed so the banjo creeps in towards the spinning bowl blank in use. This is very noticeable when initially truing up large bowl blanks. They teach their club turners etc to routinely stop and move the banjo back to maintain a safe clearance between the tool rest & blank. It does not seem to be a problem with spindle turning just larger bowl blanks. Several turners demonstrated how it happens to me. In fact in one demonstration of the movement the turner placed the banjo in the position it would be in for the largest bowl over the bed. To lock it he put his full weight onto the banjo lock handle. He then bumped the banjo horizontally with his hand but not using any significant force. The banjo moved causing the outer edge & tool rest to swing approx 20 -25mm. So depending upon your intended use this may or may not be an issue to you.

hughie
16th November 2014, 04:21 PM
I recently spent a couple of weeks in NZ while attending the wood turning symposium. Nova DVR's were the lathes used at the symposium. The biggest single gripe by demonstrators was the frustration in using the Nova speed control - push buttons.

I like the safety features built into the DVR design but I have never been a fan of their bed & leg design. I am very wary of the DVR's as I have a defibrillator/pacemaker and their design makes it difficult to maintain the recommended separation from the electric motor (potential EM interference etc) so I have only used the DVR's briefly. They performed well for the spindle work I did on them.

I spent a fair bit of time with well respected wood turner friends while in NZ and asked about their opinions of the DVR's. A couple of my friends over a number of years have been urging Teknatool to redesign the bed and banjo on the DVR & DVR XP lathes. They feel the design is unsafe as the banjo moves! The previous & current design of the banjo & bed does not have sufficient contact area i.e. friction between the banjo & bed so the banjo creeps in towards the spinning bowl blank in use. This is very noticeable when initially truing up large bowl blanks. They teach their club turners etc to routinely stop and move the banjo back to maintain a safe clearance between the tool rest & blank. It does not seem to be a problem with spindle turning just larger bowl blanks. Several turners demonstrated how it happens to me. In fact in one demonstration of the movement the turner placed the banjo in the position it would be in for the largest bowl over the bed. To lock it he put his full weight onto the banjo lock handle. He then bumped the banjo horizontally with his hand but not using any significant force. The banjo moved causing the outer edge & tool rest to swing approx 20 -25mm. So depending upon your intended use this may or may not be an issue to you.

The legs are one thing, but the moving banjo is of real concern, well to me at any rate. It has the potential to be serious, which doesnt mean it will be. But simply the potential is there and with that in mind as a novice I would look else where. This is not to say or degenerate the manufacturer, but as a novice you have enough to contend with your learning curve.

mick59wests
16th November 2014, 07:27 PM
I've had one for a couple of years and am very happy with it. From memory, it was the cougar that I also looked at but went with the DVR XP as the head turned and I did not have room to do outboard turning at the back of the lathe. I'll certainly keep my eye on the banjo and it moving.
cheers
Mick

Mobyturns
16th November 2014, 07:36 PM
The legs are one thing, but the moving banjo is of real concern, well to me at any rate. It has the potential to be serious, which doesnt mean it will be. But simply the potential is there and with that in mind as a novice I would look else where. This is not to say or degenerate the manufacturer, but as a novice you have enough to contend with your learning curve.

I agree with Hughie - "It has the potential to be serious, which doesnt mean it will be."

There are many hazards that a wood turner should be aware of when turning & it is the turners responsibility to learn about them. When your are aware of a potential hazard you can control and reduce the risk of being harmed by the hazard. Hazards attributed to the design of a lathe will always be there so the only way to control them is to either modify our behavior or redesign the lathe. With the DVR XP's this potential hazard is well known and the manufacturer is well aware of the opinions of well credentialed users of the lathes.

colbra
16th November 2014, 09:03 PM
Hi Col

I have the older Nova 3000, there is a good write up by Rssr/Ern on the DVR XP on here.

I would be looking these days and I did on Friday at the Gougar 400 (http://www.trendtimbers.com.au/cougar-lathes.html) from Trend Timbers I know 3 fellows who bought them 2 years ago and Peter Calabria Ozartisan off here has been using them now instead of the Nova at Artisan's On The Hill where he teaches. I can say the price is right.:2tsup:

Thanks Ray
I will be down at Trend Timbers in mid December so I will have a look at them.
After you mentioned about the lathe in your reply, I have had a bit of a look around and they do seem to be quite well excepted and popular

Regards Col :)

wheelinround
17th November 2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks Ray
I will be down at Trend Timbers in mid December so I will have a look at them.
After you mentioned about the lathe in your reply, I have had a bit of a look around and they do seem to be quite well excepted and popular

Regards Col :)

If you have the time call over or we could come over and meet up with you and Pat?

colbra
17th November 2014, 09:19 AM
If you have the time call over or we could come over and meet up with you and Pat?

Will do Ray will get in touch before I come down
Col :)

Hugh Jones
17th November 2014, 09:57 AM
I have a used 1/2 m bed Durden Series wood lathe for sale in good condition. I am closing my musical instrument making factory in December. More info contact Hugh Jones on [email protected]

Tangoman
17th November 2014, 06:15 PM
G'Day,

I too went through the "good lathe hunting" recently. I had a good look at the Nova DVR and decided against it, due in no small part to the very poorly set up one that their agents where displaying.

I went for this lathe http://www.garypye.com/Lathe-s/Lathe-s/GPW-25-30-Wood-Lathe-p770.html as it was very good value and had all the features that I wanted. From the look of it its the same castings as the Cougar. I have absolutely no complaints about this lathe at all.

Hope this helps,

Cam

colbra
18th November 2014, 05:52 PM
First off I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice on purchasing a new wood work lathe.

The next part of my thread is a little surprising I contacted the following companies the first being major wood working they had no stock did not know much about the product, advised to contact trend timbers.
Contacted trend timbers sales person did not know much about wood lathes but would get someone to ring back, that did not happen.
I then rang Carrols wood turning Jim was busy with a customer and would ring me back still waiting Jim, finely rang good old carbatec put on hold for 20 minutes told what a great company they were on a recorded message and then I hung up totally Pi……. Off with the whole Idea of buying a new wood lathe so I shall keep my little Delta Midi wood lathe and save a couple of thousand dollars.

wheelinround
18th November 2014, 06:06 PM
Col I find it hard o believe both Major Wood Working and Trend knew nothing about the Cougar of course it would depend on whom you spoke to. At MWE speak to Ryan at Trend speak to Andrew or Adrian.

There is always Hare & Forbes sale stating Thursday I am sure you'll find someone who can help there with the wide range of lathes available. :2tsup:

Jim Carroll
18th November 2014, 06:09 PM
First off I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice on purchasing a new wood work lathe.

The next part of my thread is a little surprising I contacted the following companies the first being major wood working they had no stock did not know much about the product, advised to contact trend timbers.
Contacted trend timbers sales person did not know much about wood lathes but would get someone to ring back, that did not happen.
I then rang Carrols wood turning Jim was busy with a customer and would ring me back still waiting Jim, finely rang good old carbatec put on hold for 20 minutes told what a great company they were on a recorded message and then I hung up totally Pi……. Off with the whole Idea of buying a new wood lathe so I shall keep my little Delta Midi wood lathe and save a couple of thousand dollars.

Col did call you back and left a message after your message indicated that you were having a beer.

Mobyturns
18th November 2014, 06:15 PM

Maybe they all did you a favour. :wink: Now you won't just rush in and buy a lathe. Knowing a bit about how a company treats its customers is quite valuable. Personally I would not buy Nova / Teknatool - not because of their product quality but because they treated me so poorly when I attempted to source parts for a dying VS on my Nova Mercury lathe a few years ago.

Sawdust Maker
18th November 2014, 08:12 PM
Surprised Jim didn't ring you back

anyway

I've the DVR XP
if you were down this way I'd invite you to come around and kick the tyres

anyway

I'm generally happy with it - a knob might be better than a keypad but I'm used to the keypad and I like the 5 programmable settings (well 4 actually as the starting 500 revs is unchangeable)
I like the range of speed and the not having to play with belts and no belt slippage
the motor is really strong and vibration free

I haven't had the discussed problem with banjo slip

I've got the cast iron legs which I doubt are the subject of the flimsy complaint
In my opinion the legs on the left side are in the wrong place - but I think that is the same with all lathes - anyway I rectified mine (there's a thread somewhere)

my only real gripe is that there is a bit of play in the tailstock sitting on the bed - it's a right pain in the ...

colbra
18th November 2014, 08:22 PM
Col did call you back and left a message after your message indicated that you were having a beer.

Hi Jim My apology please I would have used my phone and left the wrong number to call back I will call you back in the morning .

Colbra :-