PDA

View Full Version : Spindle or Bowl tool rests?

Mobyturns
17th November 2014, 08:49 AM
Recently I took delivery of a very nice Vicmarc VL150 lathe but the tool rest is about the only thing I do not like about the lathe. Im my opinion it is not a good design for spindle turning, at least not the small spindle turning I prefer. One very good feature though was the move by Vicmarc to a 25.4 mm or 1" tool post on the VL150 which opens up a whole range of after market accessories and allows me to use my favourite Woodfast tool rests on the lathe. Maybe I should paint them blue :D. ( I know Powderpost reckons my new lathe should be yellow :cool:.)

So I became curious about what others prefer in a tool rest. Is there a preference or a distinction between bowl & spindle tool rests?

Paul39
17th November 2014, 01:46 PM
Mobyturns,

You likes what you likes, you don't have to justify that to anyone.

My first "good" lathe, a gently used Hegner, came with a 12 inch tool rest with a 20mm post. A bit awkward for small bowls but I have managed. As it is the only tool rest I have for that lathe, I make it work for bowls to 350mm and spindles.

Hegner wants an arm, a leg, and my first born child for their stuff.

I have bought other tool rests for little money but haven't yet determined to bore the hole bigger in the banjo or to turn down the shaft on the tool rest.

I think an off the shelf tool is just a starting point to modify to our taste.

greyhound
17th November 2014, 01:46 PM
Recently I took delivery of a very nice Vicmarc VL150 lathe but the tool rest is about the only thing I do not like about the lathe. Im my opinion it is not a good design for spindle turning, at least not the small spindle turning I prefer. One very good feature though was the move by Vicmarc to a 25.4 mm or 1" tool post on the VL150 which opens up a whole range of after market accessories and allows me to use my favourite Woodfast tool rests on the lathe. Maybe I should paint them blue :D. ( I know Powderpost reckons my new lathe should be yellow :cool:.)

So I became curious about what others prefer in a tool rest. Is there a preference or a distinction between bowl & spindle tool rests?

Yes totally agree.
i have a wood fast and Vicmarc lathes and the only thing I do not like on the vicmarc is the tool rest .
IMHO the wood-fast tool rest is the best designed I have used.
i do mainly spindle turning.
Good to hear the newer models have 25.4 post hole,maybe it is time for me to upgrade my Vicmarc and I could still use my favourite tool rests.

Old Croc
17th November 2014, 09:19 PM
Moby, I can't post any pictures of all the new ones I have just finished making for the new lathe, but they are copies of a design from retired. I have never liked any of the factory designs, so I have allways made my own. You are welcome to have a look at them, but this is NOT an offer to make you any :no:
Rgds,
Crocy.

hughie
17th November 2014, 10:10 PM
I tend to make my own, so I cant really complain. :U Generally they are round 25mm dia or square 25mm sq. with a 25 mm post. The only images I have are from my old Hare n Forbes.

Sawdust Maker
17th November 2014, 10:37 PM
I think the one at the top in piccy two lives in my shed, :D

I've also made my own
one 3" and one 400mm

about to make a 600mm but need another banjo

chuck1
18th November 2014, 05:51 AM
When it comes to spindle turning once the toolrest is setup that's where it stays for the duration.
most of mine are home made bright bar and 40 or 50 mm flat bar welded at 45 degrees then shaped and smoothed with angle grinder.
I find having 2 toolrest stocks very handy.

powderpost
18th November 2014, 02:34 PM
Here is a couple of alternative ideas for a tool rest. These are used for both spindle bowl turning. I don't have any curved "bowl" turning rests, I haven't found them necessary.

This one was designed and made by .

This one is my design. Note the leading edge of the rest is a fraction past the boss on the banjo. This allows the rest to get up close and personal while the edge of the bowl clears the boss on the banjo.

Jim

Pat
18th November 2014, 05:10 PM
I have 3 of 's rests, 150, 300 & 450mm. I use them both for Spindle and Bowl turning. I use them in preference to the Woodfast rests, straight and curved/recurved.

Mobyturns
18th November 2014, 06:09 PM
This one is my design. Note the leading edge of the rest is a fraction past the boss on the banjo. This allows the rest to get up close and personal while the edge of the bowl clears the boss on the banjo.

Jim

Jim, most turners would not even think about the extra clearance from your tool rest design with the rest perpendicular to the bed. I guess there is a slight trade off with a small loss of extension when it is parallel to the bed.

Old Croc
18th November 2014, 11:20 PM
Moby, the first photos Powderpost put up are what mine are like. I bought a 2 Meter length of 6MM stainless steel bar, got it pressed to the 60° angle and just cut the length I want and weld it to a new post. Since I changed to this design my skew work has improved out of sight.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Mobyturns
19th November 2014, 08:44 AM
Moby, the first photos Powderpost put up are what mine are like. I bought a 2 Meter length of 6MM stainless steel bar, got it pressed to the 60° angle and just cut the length I want and weld it to a new post. Since I changed to this design my skew work has improved out of sight.
Rgds,
Crocy.

OldCroc,

I think the PowderPost / version and the one you describe have a lot in common with the Woodfast version in that

the leading edge of tool rest is pretty vertical
the rest is relatively thin
it permits an underhand grip so the forefinger can slide along the rest as a guide without "riding up" on long skew planning cuts.
the underhand grip also gives good control with V cuts etc.

The standard Vicmarc rest has a 45 degree "ramp" design which makes the above a little more difficult. At least that is my take on it. I have got accustomed to the concave back face on the Woodfast design pictured above & really like the ridge as a guide.

Rod Gilbert
19th November 2014, 09:28 AM
Hi all,
Like others I have a couple of standard tool rests that came with the tough lathe I have a 300mm long and 145mm, from there I have made many for specific job's mostly from either 22mm round bright bar or 50x8mm flat bar set on angle to tool post but no curved ones either (no gas). I was fortunate enough to get a couple of banjo's from a forum member, they had them molded and cast from a wood fast one and they are identical to my tough(makes sense I guess they bought them) so it is easy to set up long rest if needed.
Regards Rod.

chuck1
20th November 2014, 06:59 AM
An old photo of my collection of tool rests 80% were made for my Hyco lathe but they fit the teknatool as well.
single post rests 400 long and longer seem to get chatter on the unsupported ends. This where I see other designs may stop this.