PDA

View Full Version : weirdest thing during woodwork?

Trav
4th July 2005, 02:51 PM
What is the weirdest thing that has happened while you were woodworking?

I was in the shed on the weekend applying the second coat of oil to my new table when a bloody dumb-as-a-fencepost pigeon flies in the open door and lands smack in the middle of my work before flying straight into the closed window and then falling right beside my tin of tung oil. :eek: This, of course, caused my jar of turps to spill on my workbench. The damn thing scared the buggery out of my - PLUS I had to resand the top of the table to clean it up again. :mad:

Anyone else have something strange happen when woodworking?

Trav

craigb
4th July 2005, 02:54 PM
I got a square cut out of my old WC2000 once. :p :D

Zed
4th July 2005, 02:57 PM
Anyone else have something strange happen when woodworking?

Trav

yes, I've had wierd things happen - for instance the other day I finished what I started and it all went to plan. the day before that I said to Jane "I want to spend Sunday in the shed" and she said "ok"

not so long ago I was sharpening some chisels and plane blades and not only didnt I cut myself but I also managed to get the things sharp without resorting to the scary sharp methodology.

a fair while ago I managed to complete a project with the existing toolset without need for further tool purchases

A long time ago I estimated the amount of timber I needed and got it right.

Man, I tell you! its all x-files in my shed!

:D

Mistman
4th July 2005, 03:16 PM
Hi just had arevalation in my shed found atool to do a 5 min job the tool was in the right place the job was finished in 4 mins FEELING GOOD!!!!

LineLefty
4th July 2005, 04:10 PM
In all seriousness I've had a wierd experience planing a board before. All the mortices had been cut and I was just giving it a final smooth. As I was planing I could hear this faint 'popping' sound. Twas buggin the hell otu of me till i realised that it was the sound of the plan passing over the mortise. Obviously the pland and board surface were dead flat!

Grunt
4th July 2005, 08:12 PM
a fair while ago I managed to complete a project with the existing toolset without need for further tool purchases

You're bullsheeting us aren't you. This just isn't possible.

ozwinner
4th July 2005, 08:19 PM
As I was planing I could hear this faint 'popping' sound.
Sure you wernt dropping your guts from staining too hard pushing the evil non powered plane??

Al :eek:

Toggy
4th July 2005, 08:32 PM
No Al; that, was nearly me when a 5' brown snake scooted through about 6" behind my feet. Nearly a case of discharging the snake repellent.

Ken

soundman
4th July 2005, 10:58 PM
Another snake story.
I was sitting in my shed, doing what? I cant remember.
When I caught sight of this little red belly black. It came in the roller door, straight across the shed & out the side door & went on with its business.
" Hoy blitter you right there" :confused: "no problem I know were I'm going, bye" :)
Cheeky little bugger.

speedy
4th July 2005, 11:19 PM
Snake stories, OK when I was building my new workshop a friend came over to help with the roof iron. The Iron was second hand (the old roof from the house) I asked him to pick the sheets up and lean them against the shed to make it easier to get them up on top to fit. In the process of doing as I asked he found 4 snakes one at a time all sleeping between the sheets. He never came back to help after that, strange. :D

DavidG
4th July 2005, 11:56 PM
4 joe blakes and you let then go.
What about lunch. :D
Yum. BBQ blake. :)

Stuart
5th July 2005, 12:44 AM
Not a snake, but if anyone wants a live redback - I have a few.
Haven't seen a scorpion in about a year or so though.

Iain
5th July 2005, 10:11 AM
I've had rats in the shed but I'm buggered if I know how they get in...

Trav
5th July 2005, 10:35 AM
I've had rats in the shed but I'm buggered if I know how they get in...

You need some of those snakes that the others mentioned. :D

Trav

Toggy
5th July 2005, 09:08 PM
What good is a dead snake???:(:confused:. The smell would drive you out - not sure about the rats though.

Ken

Woodlice
12th July 2005, 04:26 AM
What is really weird I find is that I do a better job cutting a rebate out of a fitted door frame (so an extension cord can pass between the frame and the door and allow the security door to shut properly and lock) with a blunt screwdriver and a claw hammer than I do cutting mortises with a drill and sharp-as-hell chisel.

Actually thats probably just testimony to my poor woodworking skills, which if I reflect for a moment probably isnt that weird after all...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th July 2005, 04:53 AM
I dunno about weird, but fate can be cruel...

I've been teaching a young bloke of 13 (he has a degenerative hip disease) the basics of woodturning. One day he pointed at my set of skews and asked why I never used them. I promptly spent 5 minutes explaining that they were the most "dangerous" tool to use until mastered, giving him a static demo with the lathe turned off.

Now, I've got my pride; I wasn't going to deliberately force a catch but I chose one of my punkiest pieces of wood that I knew was far beyond my skill with (or without!) a skew and spun 'er up to show him how bad a catch can be and how much damage can be done.

15 minutes later, kid forgotten, I was happily coving and beading until the drive spur chewed out the wood beyond remounting. No sign of a single catch... oh, if only I could manage that when the wood is actually /worth/ working! :(

Of course, the kid still doesn't understand why I won't let him use one...

Yet.

DavidW
12th July 2005, 11:15 AM
"a fair while ago I managed to complete a project with the existing toolset without need for further tool purchases"

OMG are you mad???? And you published it here!!!!

You clearly have no understanding of the possible consequences of your actions should our wives get wind of this attrocity.

As penance you must rush out imediately and purchase that tool you've NEEDED for ages.

Different
12th July 2005, 11:32 AM
I was working on a project in Tas Blackwood with a friend helping a few years back. We had to drill a number of holes in precise positions in relation to each other so one holes location determined the location of another etc. Well I was drilling from one side of the job and he from the other but we were getting all confused because we could not see the holes we new we had drilled until (and it took a while) that aeveral small native mud wasps were filling the tops of the holes wit mud that in the sun were drying exactly the came colour as the timber and despite the fact we knew where to look we couldnt see a damm thing. We had to remeasure and push out the little mud plugs. Whod a thunk it!

Ross

AlexS
12th July 2005, 01:26 PM
I was working on a project in Tas Blackwood with a friend helping a few years back. We had to drill a number of holes in precise positions in relation to each other so one holes location determined the location of another etc. Well I was drilling from one side of the job and he from the other but we were getting all confused because we could not see the holes we new we had drilled until (and it took a while) that aeveral small native mud wasps were filling the tops of the holes wit mud that in the sun were drying exactly the came colour as the timber and despite the fact we knew where to look we couldnt see a damm thing. We had to remeasure and push out the little mud plugs. Whod a thunk it!

Ross
Are you now marketing it as Different brand Woodfiller - the filler with a sting in it? :D

routermaniac
12th July 2005, 08:58 PM
I got a square cut out of my old WC2000 once. :p :D
are you sure it was perfectly straight??? did you get the engineering square out? :rolleyes:

Stu in Tokyo
30th September 2005, 01:39 AM
No wildlife here abouts, but once, I checked and found out that both, BOTH of my tape measures, when checked with my good quality 60 cm steel rule were dead on...:eek:

I promptly cut a board too short, just to placate the Dungeon gods.....;)