PDA

View Full Version : Foatin around...

rob streeper
19th November 2014, 08:51 AM
In my experiments with making saw handles I quickly realized that forming the complex curves of many handle designs was going to require some specialized and dedicated tools. I started with the Nicholson Superiors and files I described here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=189864 ) but it quickly became apparent that I needed tools having additional capabilities. I added in a couple of sets of high quality rasps and also some plane-makers floats. However something was still missing - a round float. Much patrolling of eBay yielded this.

Dull when I got it a little file work has it performing nicely. So then, as usual I got to thinking and decided to try to make my own round float.

First some 1/2" O-1. Cut off a bit about as long as the original.

Chuck it up in my midi-lathe and a few minutes work with a file gives me a nice tapered blank.

A few more minutes with the file and;

I scrounged around in the firewood and found a block of mesquite and turned up a handle, fitted a ferrule and here it is;

The toothing could be more uniformly spaced but the jointing is right on so I figure it's okay for my purposes. Even in the annealed state it's plenty sharp and leaves a very smooth finish. Something else to add to the pile for heat treating day. Now back to those dovetail saws...

Cheers,
Rob

RayG
19th November 2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Rob,

I've never seen a round float before... do the cutting edges spiral around like a thread?....

I'm thinking that it could be machined like a buttress thread, except done with a taper turning attachment..

Ray

rob streeper
19th November 2014, 12:53 PM
Hi Rob,

I've never seen a round float before... do the cutting edges spiral around like a thread?....

I'm thinking that it could be machined like a buttress thread, except done with a taper turning attachment..

Ray

Hi Ray,

I've seen round and half round floats several times on eBay, usually listed as gunsmith floats and usually from Europe. The float that I bought is a spiral, the one I made is not. Unfortunately I don't have a metal working lathe, I was promised one in trade for some work I did but the guy welshed on me. Nice sharp threading should work fine.

Cheers,
Rob

RayG
19th November 2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks Rob,

You might have inspired me to have a go at making one. I've got some O1 drill rod somewhere...

Ray

Simplicity
19th November 2014, 10:25 PM
Nice one Rob
Your truly and inspiration
I love how you see what you want then just go out there and make one.
Fantastic.
I to might have a go at making one.
How to they cut is it an aggressive cut ie removes heaps of timber but leaves lots of break out that then needs to be cleaned up.
Or is it more of a gentle cut.Or is it all just how you use the tool.
Or would that have to do with the depth of the flutes I so pose that's what there called.
Also do you think one with a curve would be of use for getting in and a round the handle shape.

But please I hope you were not using your angle grinder one handed while taking a pic.

rob streeper
20th November 2014, 02:18 AM
Nice one Rob
Your truly and inspiration
I love how you see what you want then just go out there and make one.
Fantastic.
I to might have a go at making one.
How to they cut is it an aggressive cut ie removes heaps of timber but leaves lots of break out that then needs to be cleaned up.
Or is it more of a gentle cut.Or is it all just how you use the tool.
Or would that have to do with the depth of the flutes I so pose that's what there called.
Also do you think one with a curve would be of use for getting in and a round the handle shape.

But please I hope you were not using your angle grinder one handed while taking a pic.

Thanks Matt.

The round float, like all floats, cuts according to the way that you use it. More pressure means a more aggressive and somewhat rougher cut, less pressure will produce a finish smoother than a #15 rasp or a smooth cut file. If they're sharp floats never leave tear-out like you can get with a hand plane, at least in my hands.
The pitch of the teeth does matter some, my flat floats have pitches that run between 6 and 10 tpi. I use the floats after I rasp the faceted sections of the handle as floats don't break sharp corners as easily - they chatter over the corner until cutting it off.
I've thought of making a curved one too, that's why I made two of these. I just have to figure out how to bend it while it's hot from the heat treating oven without mashing the teeth.

No worries on the angle grinder, I'm holding the end of the side handle with my tail, another story...

Cheers,
Rob

Simplicity
20th November 2014, 12:24 PM
Bending a float round I would think to leave it longer at both ends.
Then use the leverage off the ends.
Mashing the teeth I see as a problem to
But also would we not end up with a smaller tpi on the inside.
And a larger tpi on the outside.
Would this be problem I don't know ?
Is it being over though! maybe it would fine
Also I've never used or made one
That needs to be considered with regards to above comments lol