PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast tailstock

powderpost
19th November 2014, 04:22 PM
There is a lot of these Woodfast midi's out there that will have a small irritating difficulty. I do a lot of face plate work on my Woodfast 308 midi, which requires the removal of the tailstock. When replacing the tailstock the chrome cam lock drops down and lightly engages the cam. The handle then needs to have the weight taken off by lifting the handle, annoying.

I cut a piece of 2mm steel 50mm long and 15mm wide and fitted it to the back of the tail stock, so that it rests under the cam lock handle. I bored and taped a hole to take a 6mm screw to hold the bit of steel.

This bit (painted black) will fold in under the cam handle, out of the way.

Now it is in the open position supporting the cam handle.

Works beautifully.

Jim

dai sensei
19th November 2014, 07:35 PM
After seeing it at Prosy Jim it is on my list of mods to do when I get back :2tsup:

hughie
19th November 2014, 07:55 PM
Simple, sensible. :2tsup:

Mobyturns
19th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Simple solution, maybe I should do that to the VL150 as well. It has the same habit.

brendan stemp
19th November 2014, 10:28 PM
Those with Vicmarc 150s will also be familiar with this problem. I like your solution better than mine. I had already put an extension sleeve over the locking lever and a pin/nail through this extension does the same thing.

chuck1
20th November 2014, 07:59 AM
Great idea! Nice to see all the shavings in the background too!

DaveTTC
1st December 2014, 09:37 PM
Looks like a good fix. My jet has the same problem. I think my HAFCO has one of those spring lever mechanisms where I can locate it where ever I like around the bolt head.

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art