PDA

View Full Version : Out with the old and in with the new

turnerted
22nd November 2014, 05:01 PM
G'Day
Well I got impatient with waiting for my old VL200 to sell and having the new VL 240 EVS sitting under a tarp at the side of the house ,so with the aid of "sawdustmaker"Nick and Christos we swapped them over.
Apart from it being stinking hot ,the move went pretty well.
Getting the old lathe out was a breeze.I just moved it up to the door of the shed on rollers and slid it on to the scissor lift trolly . With the toolrest and tailstock slid right up to the headstock , It balanced fine on the trolly and we trundled over the lawn on plywood.
Unfortunatly the hire company forgot to bring the engine lift hoist from another branch so we sat around wasting time for about an hour untill it was delivered.
We then lifted the lathe off the stand and left Christos holding it swinging from the hoist while Nick and I carried the stand into the shed .We then lowered the lathe onto the trolly and trundled it up to the step into the shed and slid it off onto rollers then lifted it onto the stand with the hoist and bolted it on .I then used the bolt holes in the stand as a template to drill pilot holes for the loxin bolts . I then then lifted the lathe and stand as one unit and moved it slightly so's I could enlarge the holes to 16mm to take the loxins .Even after going to this much trouble , I found a couple of the boltholes didn't quite line up, so I had to slightly enlarge the holes in the feet to get the bolts in , but its all bolted down and levelled now and the first bowl is sitting on the lathe.
A big thankyou to Nick and Christos.
Does anyone know why the lathe has in internal thread in the outboard end of the headstock?

Woodturnerjosh
22nd November 2014, 06:25 PM
Great choice, I'm happy with my 240!

The threaded part is to receive the rotating union for vacuum chucking http://www.vicmarc.com/default.asp?contentID=548

Josh

Mobyturns
22nd November 2014, 06:32 PM
Good work fellas, great to see you all helping out. That VL240 looks a great lathe.

NCArcher
22nd November 2014, 07:05 PM
Good work guys. And very well done Ted. For getting Nick and Christos to actually do something. :duck:

turnerted
22nd November 2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks Josh . I thought it might have been that .
Ted

Christos
23rd November 2014, 12:34 AM
I actually found this move a very easy one to do.

Cliff Rogers
23rd November 2014, 10:36 AM
Waahoo, new toy. :2tsup:

powderpost
23rd November 2014, 11:09 AM
Waahoo, new toy. :2tsup:
And it is not even Christmas. Expect something special for the first job Ted.

Jim

chuck1
23rd November 2014, 01:17 PM
Wish I was Financial enough to get the old one out the way! The New one looks great, well abit to clean!

smiife
23rd November 2014, 04:41 PM
Hi ted,
Looks like all went well, amazing what a bit of planning
can do to make things go smoothly
Well done guys,,,,,, now don, t make it dirty:o

wheelinround
23rd November 2014, 07:04 PM
Ted well done all those photos must have been hard to do while those two pussy footed about using the gear they did making it an easy job..........as I see no sweat on either of them.:p

Well done Nick & Christos :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
23rd November 2014, 07:15 PM
Good work guys. And very well done Ted. For getting Nick and Christos to actually do something. :duck:

Carefull - you'll end up on the "no help" list!:p

My pleasure Ted, but I did notice that we were hunted out of the shed before we could have a play :cool:

But between you and I, I thought Christos got in the way ...

Christos
24th November 2014, 07:00 AM
...But between you and I, I thought Christos got in the way ...

Cheeky

mick59wests
24th November 2014, 08:37 PM
great to see a group of forumites giving a helping hand. With all of the good advice that Ted has given he is certainly a worthy recipient.

All I need is someone up my way to teach me how to turn :)

cheers

Mick

wheelinround
24th November 2014, 10:39 PM
great to see a group of forumites giving a helping hand. With all of the good advice that Ted has given he is certainly a worthy recipient.

All I need is someone up my way to teach me how to turn :)

cheers

Mick

A Group I wouldn't call Christos & Nick a Group............groupies maybe hoping to get closer to the Vicmarc being they both have Nova's and decent ones at that. I bet neither offered to buy Ted's old one :no:

Mick being at Bonney Hills it might be a bit of a drive to Hastings Woodies which meet at Timbertown. OR maybe a near by Mens Shed.

Sawdust Maker
25th November 2014, 08:07 PM
Actually Ted's old machine would be great for someone starting out and would keep them going for quite a number of years

I've decided that I can only use one lathe at a time :rolleyes:

Christos
25th November 2014, 08:38 PM
I am a bit surprised that it has not been sold yet. I am sure the right buyer will come along.

Paul39
26th November 2014, 04:00 AM
Actually Ted's old machine would be great for someone starting out and would keep them going for quite a number of years

I've decided that I can only use one lathe at a time :rolleyes:

There are people who own only one lathe??? :D:D:D

bowl-basher
28th November 2014, 09:58 AM
There are people who own only one lathe??? :D:D:D

:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:(( some of us poor buggers have none nor a shed to put one in:no:
Regards
Bowl-basher

Christos
28th November 2014, 03:06 PM
:((:((:((:((:((:((:((:(( some of us poor buggers have none nor a shed to put one in:no:
Regards
Bowl-basher

Can always join a wood turning club.

http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/default.html