PDA

View Full Version : tool post

justron
23rd November 2014, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone, I am in need of some help. I have just brought a small lathe (al330) and intend to buy a multifix tool post from create tools, I am hoping someone can advise me on size I have also brought a mill and need to learn to use it, can anyone suggest some good books thanks in advance

Ueee
23rd November 2014, 08:50 PM
How wide is the compound?
I'd be thinking an A size would be fine.
Milling a complete course by Harold Hall is a good start, but Youtube is truly your friend in this regard.

Cheers,
Ew

janvanruth
23rd November 2014, 09:55 PM
Hi everyone, I am in need of some help. I have just brought a small lathe (al330) and intend to buy a multifix tool post from create tools, I am hoping someone can advise me on size I have also brought a mill and need to learn to use it, can anyone suggest some good books thanks in advance

Sure you mean a multifix?
Multifix is a brand name and and system name.
The brand Multifix is the most expensive you can get.
The system multifix is the about the best you can get.
Or do you mean any type of toolpost with changeable tool holders?
Availability of cheap holders should be a point in your decision as you will need/want more of them.
As for size: the bigger the better, unless you are planning on working on tiny pieces.
A bigger one will take bigger, and therefore more rigid, tools.
Not that you will be able to take heavier cuts as the sideway overhang will be bigger but it will give you the possiblity to use a wider range of tools.
I have two 10 inch south bend lathes.
The light 10 has a type a rapid system fitted, the heavy 10 a type b that i had lying around from a bigger lathe i used to own.
Most special tools, knurling, parting, threading, boring bars, i have, do have a bigger shank and will only fit the type b.

cheers

jan