PDA

View Full Version : Want To Purchase New 20l Paint Bucket

JimboJoe
4th July 2005, 08:40 PM
HI. WOODIES IN SYDNEY

Could any one tell me were in the southern area of Sydney I can purchase a few 20L paint buckets ? (NEW)
I wish to make one or two STURDEE CYCLONE UNITS, but I am having a lot of
trouble finding where to get them.

Thanks for any help in this area.

JAMES

Cagey
4th July 2005, 08:50 PM
Try your local Bunnies store. Thats where I got mine in Melb. or beleive it or not Supercheap auto (I think they are national)

JimboJoe
4th July 2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks Cagey

I have tried my local bunnies, they say I can have a bucket only if I purchase the paint as well.

Thanks for your fast reply.

James.

PS. Any one want 20L of paint in a paper bag !!!!

dai sensei
4th July 2005, 09:16 PM
Not sure about Sydney, but here we have tip recycling shops, and they usually have plenty. Just check they haven't been sitting in the sun too long, the plastic does perish, by flexing the rim.

You could also try your local painting contractor.

Cheers

bitingmidge
4th July 2005, 09:35 PM
Or your local Scottish Hamburger shop, their pickles used to come in them... don't know if they still do.

Try your local bakery as well...

Cheers,

P

echnidna
4th July 2005, 10:27 PM
Hot Bread Bakeries & Cake shops get cooking ingredients in 20L buckets

Gumby
4th July 2005, 10:30 PM
I got mine from the local paint store. He said they crush them all the time and was happy to give me one. Or call the local painter and see if you can go around and pick one up. Used isn't a problem.

Sturdee
4th July 2005, 11:21 PM
I go to the nearest unit development and ask the painter. Never a problem and I've built a few getting the drums that way.

Peter.

Caliban
4th July 2005, 11:42 PM
Also try spray painters (automotive type) they get their paint in 20l drums and up this way they send them to the tip. I made my modified sturdee type cyclone out of one from the tip. It's not like you want to eat off it after all.

partsguy
5th July 2005, 08:20 AM
if you have a local case tractor dealer go there and ask them for one if they have bulk oil they package the oil in nice new clean oil pails. I know this only because i work for a dealer here in canada.
nate

MICKYG
5th July 2005, 08:54 AM
James, pay a visit to your closest Chinese Restaurant, some of these use a heavy duty bucket 20L which they get cooking oils in and they usually throw them out. A lot of Fish & Chip shops get their cooking oils / other fats in a metal open top pail and also closed top 20L tins.

Regards Mike. :D

JimboJoe
5th July 2005, 09:48 AM
THANKS ALL

You have come up with a few avenues that I can try.
I'm manly after the metal paint buckets for the lower section of the cyclone unit.
Now I'm off to see what I can scrounge.

Any one want any cooking oil in a papper bag !!!!

JAMES

arose62
5th July 2005, 11:05 AM
You need to find someone running their car on bio-diesel.:rolleyes:

Some magic with the cooking oil in an old washing machine, and they'll be laughing at us folks paying $1.20+ for petrol :mad:

Cheers,
Andrew

partsguy
5th July 2005, 11:11 PM
Is this 1.20 for petrol a litre or a gallon????nate

MikeThePom
5th July 2005, 11:57 PM
JimboJoe,
I recently set up a dust collection system in the shed. I used 90mm stormwater pipe for the backbone and a 20 gal. plastic rainwater container (from a local irrigation company here in Vic) as the cyclone unit. It works pretty for everything except the dust from the drum sander that seems to go straight through into the filter bags.

Regards

Mike

Studley 2436
6th July 2005, 12:58 AM
tons of good suggestions there.

When I was chefing we always had plenty of 20 litre buckets and drums.

Mayonaise comes in the plastic buckets and fat comes in steel drums. You may not get the drums from them because they use them for the old fat they are getting rid of. They do get cooking oil in steel though just that those ones are closed in at both ends. No lid you can just take off the top.

I did my own copy of Sturdee's cyclone yet to use it as my DC only got here today. the cyclone is at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=10364

Stevo