PDA

View Full Version : Inverter queary

turnerted
25th November 2014, 11:52 AM
G'day
Was turning a 400mm bowl and when turning off the speed controller I got an "LU" warning on the inverter readout . I assume this was because I switched it off at too higher speed and overloaded the braking controll .The invertor now reads about 800 with the lathe stationary but agrees with the spindle readout when running the lathe.Is it just a matter of hitting the reset button on the inverter to fix things?
The mass of technical information in the inverter instructions are too much for my 73yo brain and I didn't want to start pushing buttons that I wasn't supposed to .
Ted

NCArcher
25th November 2014, 07:56 PM
Hit reset and if that doesn't clear the display power it down and back on. UL is (usually ) low voltage either on the supply or the BC bus and just means the inverter has tried to run at a voltage outside the preset levels. Can often happen with high inertial loads when stopping.
Not sure why its reading 800. What type of inverter?

Paul39
26th November 2014, 03:57 AM
Ted,

Try what Archer wrote. You also may want to set the inverter to coast down rather than brake. Unless you have a set screw holding on the chuck or face plate, too much braking could cause a bowl and chuck or face plate to unscrew from the spindle and go sailing across the shed.

I bought a variable frequency drive for a three phase motor that does what your inverter does. The printed instructions were translated from Chinese by an Indian, and almost incomprehensible.

The small CD supplied was much better and searchable.

turnerted
26th November 2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks Paul and Archer.
I hit the reset button and the inverter readout dropped to 300 . A bit of experimenting showed that the final readout on the inverter was equal to what ever the speed was when I hit the stop button except that it will not go below 108.The slowest spindle speed is 35 .
The inverter stll shows the "LU" message before it shuts down.
The inverter is Fuji as fitted to Vicmarc lathes.
Paul the first time I ran the lathe with a bowl on it ,I stopped it at a bit too higher speed and the chuck started to unscrew , fortunatly I had the tailstock in position . I have now taken to slowing the speed down a bit before hitting the stop button.
I will give Vicmarc a ring in a couple of days if someone does not come up with the answer.
Ted

Woodturnerjosh
26th November 2014, 09:07 AM
Vicmarc might be able to tell you how to disable the electric brake but I wouldn't go messing around with parameters before asking them. I actually mentioned to Enzo (from Vermec) about the braking and he said it's usually pretty easy to switch off but to make sure it's done the right way.

Josh