PDA

View Full Version : A half-back and a Disston Reagan #9

rob streeper
29th November 2014, 11:23 AM
I decided to expand my range and make a half-back saw. I got this one from Mike Wenzloff a few years ago and have always liked the design.

So the firs thing I did was to cut out a plate.

Since I didn't feel like making a pattern and cutting out a Wenzloff style handle I decided to try the handles I made a while back for my regular back saws.

The largest was too large.

And the smallest was too small.

The medium one turned out to be just right.

Next to pick a back, I ultimately chose my heavy weight brass. While I was at it I decided to knock out a Disston #9 Reagan too. I got the pattern from Mike W's site. This one will have the stainless back.

I won't go into all of the details again but here are the plates with backs installed.

And here is the half-back with the plate/back assembly fitted up to the handle.

Cheers,
Rob

Ron Bontz
30th November 2014, 03:51 PM
Hey, That's a really cool 3d leaf engraving. It almost looks real. :):)
On a more serious note, it seems like I spent forever deciding on handles for my half backs. I started out by drawing in the various constraints. Hang angle, thrust vector height, etc. Then just keep the french curves handy on the drafting board and the tool bar open in the CAD drawing. I think I did a lot of blank staring as well. Good luck and enjoy.

rob streeper
30th November 2014, 04:19 PM
Hang angle, thrust vector height, etc. Then just keep the french curves handy on the drafting board and the tool bar open in the CAD drawing. I think I did a lot of blank staring as well. Good luck and enjoy.

I seem to remember something from pheesics that went like 'The angle of the dangle is proportional to...'.

rob streeper
1st December 2014, 01:09 AM
Here is a plate from the original Reagan patent. Note the four-fingered grip. It seems that this design relies exclusively on the thumb for directional control where the common three finger handle designs use both the thumb and forefinger to guide the saw.

The design that Mike Wenzloff has on his site (http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/faq/36-saw-kit-tech/71-saw-patterns.html) appears to be a modification of the patent design in that the right side of the handle has a finger groove at the top opposite the thumb groove. Mike writes that this is the largest of three sizes of Reagan handles that were made. For me Mikes handles are a little small (Sz. 11 glove) and thus this is a 3 finger design, smaller would be unusable.

Has anybody seen a saw that conforms to the patent or are the only known examples the Disston versions for backsaws? How does this handle design work for those who have used it?

rob streeper
1st December 2014, 12:48 PM
I got the #9 fit up and handle roughed in today. Sharpened and set the plate too.

Crosscut 12 ppi.

Ron Bontz
1st December 2014, 04:22 PM
I try to align my index finger the way I normally have it cutting then draw a groove around it. I leave the beak area squared off. 332944 I had not trimmed the bolts yet when I snapped the pic. So they look too long in the pic. Actually, they were at the time. :)

rob streeper
1st December 2014, 05:04 PM
I try to align my index finger the way I normally have it cutting then draw a groove around it. I leave the beak area squared off. 332944 I had not trimmed the bolts yet when I snapped the pic. So they look too long in the pic. Actually, they were at the time. :)

Hi again Ron,

Did you use a pattern for your handle, copy an original or spin your own interpretation? My tendency is to interpret rather than do a copy. Have you ever used an original? I read on the web that this handle design seems to lock the hand to the saw in a way that, to some, seems awkward or unnatural. I'm also wondering why Disston produced this style for what seems like a short time. Was it unpopular, too expensive or perhaps something else?
Nonetheless it's an interesting and eye catching design that merits revisiting. I may make a copy just to see how it feels.

Cheers,
Rob

Ron Bontz
2nd December 2014, 08:38 AM
All my Regans are a variant of the original. With respect to the sculpted thumb area and top horn. I still have a few handles, with a sculpted thumb I have not made. Time issues. I tried making one ( Tenon ) close to the original and did not care for it. The index finger pointed up too much. The biggest problem with Regan handles is that they are very hand specific, with respect to fit and feel. I don't make a lot of the Regan handles, but when I do I often send the handle to the owner for a trial fit and have him/her make notations or marks on the handle for a better fit, etc. A couple of years ago I drew up a whole series including a dovetail and carcass saw. They do feel different if you are not accustomed to them. When it comes to the grip, most saws are fairly generic. The Regan style handles are a bit like half backs. Either you like them or you don't.

rob streeper
3rd December 2014, 12:47 PM
Got the tote for the half back roughed in today.

rob streeper
8th December 2014, 09:57 AM
Just a few more things to do.

rob streeper
11th December 2014, 09:28 AM
Here's some better shots of the #9.

rob streeper
11th December 2014, 10:17 AM
Here's a couple of the half-back.

I haven't decided about making the saw-bolt heads and nut faces flush with the surfaces of the handles or not.

Both of these saws are handled in Palo Santo, the saw bolts are set in bronze bushings to ensure positive lock-up of the back/plate assembly to the handle.
The No. 9 above is 12 p.p.i. crosscut with 12o rake, 15o fleam, zero slope, 0.002" set and a 0.025" plate. The plate is lightly taper-ground and the back is folded stainless steel. Mass is 594.5 gm.
The half-back is 10 p.p.i. crosscut, 0.025" plate, 20o rake, 15o fleam, zero slope, 0.0035" set and the back is 1/8" brass. Mass is 737 gm.
Now they need to be engraved.