PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at Roman Harvest

toddbron
30th November 2014, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I have been asked to make a wedding set by a very special friend. So I decided that I would try a different kit that suits the occasion. I have never used the Roman Harvest kit before and was immediately impressed with the weight of the kit without the timber. You can really tell the quality. I have to admit that I was filled with trepidation when I started turning the pens due to cost of each kit, but I am extremely happy with the result. I had one chip out on the last pen, but I used some shavings and some super glue to fix the hole. It worked out ok - I showed the boss and asked her to spot the flaw and she couldn't pick it.

The timbers used were hairy bark oak and some beautiful red mallee which I was so impressed with. The figuring in it is beautiful. They were sanded to 600, micromesh to 12000 and fished with EEE cut and polish and Shellawax.

Turned out really well and my friend has chosen the red mallee.

Thanks for looking.

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Christos
2nd December 2014, 12:19 PM
Great going on trying a new kit. They look very well made. :2tsup:

gawdelpus
2nd December 2014, 08:04 PM
Never worry about messing up with new kits :) if you do make a mistake in fit or such,it is easy to take the wood or acrylic off the tubes and reuse them, almost every kit can be dismantled if necessary to make needed changes ,if you are not too sure on a CA finish ,ubeaut glow is a good finish for woods ,and a coat of canauba wax on the top of that should keep the pen looking nice for some time ,the roman harvest is a substantial kit and not over the top ,a nice grained wood such as you chose works really well :) cheers~ John