PDA

View Full Version : Technical Specification of AL340

oz94
1st December 2014, 06:37 PM
Hi guys,

does anyone have a AL340, I have seen one used advertised. I am looking for some tech specs, specifically spindle bore size and what imperial threads can be threaded with it? Also does it have a metric or imperial lead screw?

What do you think a used AL340 in reasonable condition would be worth?

Thanks

P J
1st December 2014, 06:47 PM
This lathe? http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L179

P J
1st December 2014, 06:50 PM
Manual is still there too http://images.machineryhouse.com.au/products/L179/PDF/Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Steamwhisperer
1st December 2014, 06:58 PM
Hi Oz,
I have an AL340D, the D means with digital readout.
The spindle bore is 38mm.
A pic of the page relating to threads.

Phil

pipeclay
1st December 2014, 07:11 PM
$1200.00 to $3000.00, plus, depends on what's reasonable, the age and what comes with it.

oz94
1st December 2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys, should have googled a bit harder!

I say reasonable, but without seeing it who could say! I only have the photos to go off and whilst some of it looks fine other parts of it look sketchy!

Its actual this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281515137671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It looks different from the one on Hare & Forbes, did it undergo production modification during the production run?

Stustoys
1st December 2014, 09:06 PM
You might want to check the thread chart to be sure(or measure it). I'm pretty sure H&F have bought in both over the years(though I cant recall if they changed the numbers).
If the 120/127 gear is use for imp threads its a metric leadscrew and VV

Stuart

oz94
1st December 2014, 09:22 PM
You might want to check the thread chart to be sure(or measure it). I'm pretty sure H&F have bought in both over the years(though I cant recall if they changed the numbers).
If the 120/127 gear is use for imp threads its a metric leadscrew and VV

Stuart

According to the manual that's correct they offered the model in either.

cba_melbourne
1st December 2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys, should have googled a bit harder!

I say reasonable, but without seeing it who could say! I only have the photos to go off and whilst some of it looks fine other parts of it look sketchy!

Its actual this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281515137671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It looks different from the one on Hare & Forbes, did it undergo production modification during the production run?

The AL340 in the H&F 2011 catalog is already the newer model. Its list price was $4,150 plus GST ($4,850 plus GST for the AL340D model).

The lathe in your eBay link is the 1997 AL340 model. It was not looked after well judging by the pictures, the 4 jaw chuck looks quite rusted up. The starting bid price looks a bit high to me, at $2.85 per kg for a 17 year old Chinese lathe. I guess that is more than 50% of what it did cost new in 1997.

oz94
1st December 2014, 10:27 PM
The AL340 in the H&F 2011 catalog is already the newer model. Its list price was $4,150 plus GST ($4,850 plus GST for the AL340D model).

The lathe in your eBay link is the 1997 AL340 model. It was not looked after well judging by the pictures, the 4 jaw chuck looks quite rusted up. The starting bid price looks a bit high to me, at $2.85 per kg for a 17 year old Chinese lathe. I guess that is more than 50% of what it did cost new in 1997.

I like the way your valuing it (good job its not made of lead then!) Seriously though, I think you are right, that's why I said some bits look sketchy.

Stustoys
1st December 2014, 10:38 PM
Different gears for the thread chasing dial means metric. (Well at least as far as I know)

Stuart

cba_melbourne
1st December 2014, 11:37 PM
Different gears for the thread chasing dial means metric. (Well at least as far as I know)

Stuart

I believe it does not matter if the leadscrew is metric or imperial - the thread chasing dial always needs different gears to be usable for metric threads.
Only if the lathe has an imperial leadscrew and is used to cut imperial threads, will a thread chasing dial not require any changegears.

Stustoys
2nd December 2014, 12:00 AM
I believe it does not matter if the leadscrew is metric or imperial - the thread chasing dial always needs different gears to be usable for metric threads.
Only if the lathe has an imperial leadscrew and is used to cut imperial threads, will a thread chasing dial not require any changegears.

ummm I thought it went something like this

Imp leadscrew cutting imp threads....no need of different gears for thread chasing dial.
Imp leadscrew cutting metric threads...........thread chaser (almost) useless, so no need of different gears for thread chasing dial.

Metric leadscrew cutting metric threads, needs different gears for thread chasing dial.
Metric leadscrew cutting imp threads, thread chaser (almost) useless, so no need of different gears for thread chasing dial.

Therefore if it has different gears for the thread chasing dial its a metric leadscrew.

Where did I go wrong?

Stuart

Steamwhisperer
2nd December 2014, 05:39 AM
The manual that came with my lathe is naturally written in Chinglish :(( doesn't say much about the chasing dial, in fact, it doesn't say anything.
There is a chasing dial chart though that shows change gears for the metric leadscrew but not the Imperial one.

Phil

19brendan81
2nd December 2014, 08:35 AM
I also have a 340D however its newer than the one listed (same as Phils I think). Mine is metric and I sure as hell wouldn't let it go for $1800 bucks....its a fantastic machine. Grizzly do an imperial version but their manual has a lot of pertinent information for my machine too. Not sure how much of this is of use to the one listed as physically it looks quite different.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0709_m.pdf

I agree with Stu though - the multiple gears for the thread chaser is something both of my metric lathes have had and doesn't appear to be something that imperial machines have (no idea how that works???)...indicating the machine listed is probably metric.

Brendan

bob ward
2nd December 2014, 09:35 AM
I have a 2006 AL340D and it has the metric lead screw and 120/127 change gear for cutting imperial threads. Overall its a competent machine but its a little rough around the edges, you can tell its been assembled by people who are under time and/or money pressure.

Stustoys
2nd December 2014, 10:01 AM
(no idea how that works???)..
The maths escapes me ATM but it comes back to imp threads being (mostly) integers of an inch, where as metric is all sorts of multiples of 1mm.(where is Ueee?)

While I'm on the subject of not understanding things, whats the pitch on your leadscrew Phil? I would expect a series of metric pitches that you can pick up anywhere without the chaser dial, but the chart doesnt seem to show that.(for e.g. on my lathe with a 3mm leadscrew 0.5, 0.6, 0.75, 1, 1.5 and 3)

One last one, whats 1.3 mean on your imp chart?(granted you may not know as you have a metric machine)

Stuart

RayG
2nd December 2014, 10:17 AM
Here's one that's a bit closer to your home than the NSW South Coast... http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=784579

Ray

Steamwhisperer
2nd December 2014, 08:24 PM
The maths escapes me ATM but it comes back to imp threads being (mostly) integers of an inch, where as metric is all sorts of multiples of 1mm.(where is Ueee?)

While I'm on the subject of not understanding things, whats the pitch on your leadscrew Phil? I would expect a series of metric pitches that you can pick up anywhere without the chaser dial, but the chart doesnt seem to show that.(for e.g. on my lathe with a 3mm leadscrew 0.5, 0.6, 0.75, 1, 1.5 and 3)

One last one, whats 1.3 mean on your imp chart?(granted you may not know as you have a metric machine)

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
the pitch on my leadscrew is 3mm and I reckon the 1.3 is supposed to mean only 1 and 3 whereas the others are 1 to 8 or 1 to 4.
It is written in Chinglish :-

Phil

oz94
2nd December 2014, 10:23 PM
Here's one that's a bit closer to your home than the NSW South Coast... http://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.asp?id=784579

Ray

Now that's really starting to be a serious lathe. Its beyond a hobby one!

Its a $6700 lathe new, what do you think the lathe for sale is worth assume fair condition?

Its 415V so I would need a VFD and it still has a metric leadscrew, still if the price were right, I think one could do a lot worse!

bob ward
2nd December 2014, 11:05 PM
If I were bidding on that lathe I would be thinking that I don't want it to owe me any more than 2.5k sitting in my workshop, and work backwards from there. Take off the 13.75% buyers premium, take off the costs of lifting carting and lifting to get it home, bearing in mind the narrow time slots you have to work within. Take off the costs of the VFD.

Double check that the cupboard full of tools is included in the sale.

RayG
3rd December 2014, 01:03 AM
Now that's really starting to be a serious lathe. Its beyond a hobby one!

Its a $6700 lathe new, what do you think the lathe for sale is worth assume fair condition?

Its 415V so I would need a VFD and it still has a metric leadscrew, still if the price were right, I think one could do a lot worse!

I've no idea what it would go for, I guess wait and see.. Bob's advice is pretty much spot on, set a budget figure, and work backwards..

Make sure you read all the conditions of sale carefully.

Ray

simonl
3rd December 2014, 08:14 AM
It may end up going for a song!
As with all these type of auctions, the pickup dates are the limiting factor. At least most of the Grays auctions allow the whole day this only allows window of 3 hours on 2 different days.

Still, if it suites you then it may work to your advantage as it may put other propective buyers off.

Simon

oz94
3rd December 2014, 12:48 PM
Yere its not going to work with such a tight window. I will have to pass on this one, hopefully another will come along. Better to wait than rush in!

RayG
3rd December 2014, 05:07 PM
It went for $1175, plus buyers ripoff, etc.. that would be around $1400, then allow $600 for a crane truck, then chuck in another $500 for VFD and electrical mods ... all up $2500 or so, that's probably about the right price for that machine.

I wouldn't be fussed that you missed this one, there will be others..

Ray

19brendan81
4th December 2014, 08:44 AM
$1335 (inc buyer tax) seems cheap to me. The transport issues with lathes that size are an issue but you would have got a lot of machine for that sort of money.