PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box in walnut

Tim Creeper
2nd December 2014, 10:54 AM
So I finally got on the lathe and turned up a lidded box. It's Walnut with a little sparkly, blingy thingy in the finial. It took a bit of time. I'm not that experienced but i have high hopes. I'm having trouble with the tools. I've got no chuck and only got large gouge's so can't turn this size with anything but scrapers so after a few grabs and flying bits and a bit of ca I got it finished. It's finished with 5 coats of danish oil and a light rub each coat.

Hermit
2nd December 2014, 12:21 PM
Nice one, Tim, and that Walnut looks great. (American Walnut?)
How big is it?
Interesting finial, too - looks a bit like a mushroom.

For smaller gouges, if like me you're financially challenged for tools, I found that the GPW spindle gouges aren't too bad at all for the price. My 3/8" spindle gouge was $19.50 inc. GST + $7.95 deliv.

3/8" Spindle Gouge - Gary Pye Woodworking (http://www.garypye.com/Turning-Tools/GPW-Turning-Tools/Gouge-s/GPW-3-8-Spindle-Gouge-p421.html)

It works fine and seems to hold an edge OK, about as good as my Sorby bowl gouge in that regard. I bought mine to get some practice shaping and sharpening a fingernail profile before outlaying bigger $. (Out of the box, the gouge has a traditional grind.)

Tim Creeper
2nd December 2014, 06:41 PM
Nice one, Tim, and that Walnut looks great. (American Walnut?)
How big is it?
Interesting finial, too - looks a bit like a mushroom.

For smaller gouges, if like me you're financially challenged for tools, I found that the GPW spindle gouges aren't too bad at all for the price. My 3/8" spindle gouge was $19.50 inc. GST + $7.95 deliv.

3/8" Spindle Gouge - Gary Pye Woodworking (http://www.garypye.com/Turning-Tools/GPW-Turning-Tools/Gouge-s/GPW-3-8-Spindle-Gouge-p421.html)

It works fine and seems to hold an edge OK, about as good as my Sorby bowl gouge in that regard. I bought mine to get some practice shaping and sharpening a fingernail profile before outlaying bigger $. (Out of the box, the gouge has a traditional grind.)

Thanks Steve, it's 125 high and 90 wide at the base. I don't know which walnut it is. They are planted everywhere around here for the nuts. The heart wood is very nice. the rest is quite soft and a grey brown.
Thanks for the info on tools. I'll have a look. I reckon some lessons would be good too.

Hermit
3rd December 2014, 03:13 AM
..... I reckon some lessons would be good too.

You're not the only one. :wink:
In lieu of lessons, I watch lots of YouTube videos, checking out different turner's approaches to similar operations, but even so I'm still having trouble with a couple of cuts. More practice, and then..... more practice.....

Christos
4th December 2014, 05:41 PM
This reminds me a little of a chess piece or ancient Chinese building.

Tim Creeper
5th December 2014, 10:47 AM
This reminds me a little of a chess piece or ancient Chinese building.

Hi Christos, Praps I have a deep seated desire to play chess with a china-man. Never saw it till you said:rolleyes: