PDA

View Full Version : Hot Sheds

MrFez
2nd December 2014, 08:31 PM
I've been trying to get out into the shed to finish off a couple of turning projects recently, but with the warmer weather temperatures in the shed get very high very quick. :burnt:

Has anyone found a cost effective way of overcoming it? I'm considering planting around the shed for shade, but that's a bit too long term.

KBs PensNmore
2nd December 2014, 09:36 PM
Try some shade cloth about 300 mm above the roof, until the trees are big enough. You could also set it up so that it could be removed for winter.
Kryn

hughie
2nd December 2014, 09:52 PM
I would go with the shade cloth and hang it down any exposed sides as well.

Sturdee
2nd December 2014, 09:52 PM
Line the inside of your shed with old internal doors, plenty available on hard rubbish collection or as freebies on Gumtree.

They are easy to install as you only need a batten on the bottom and top of the wall, I bolt them through the metal walls, and the doors only need a few nails at the top and bottom to secure them. Additionally you can put insulation between the wall and doors for more comfort.

Peter.

TTIT
2nd December 2014, 10:36 PM
Best and easiest method to cool down a shed is paint the roof with Thermacote or any of the insulating paints - quick, easy, comparatively inexpensive and super efficient. Going to be painting the roof of my brand new shed as soon as I get in it (17 days to go but who's counting :; )

chuck1
2nd December 2014, 11:01 PM
I try and start early, I only have a rollerdoor no windows. I also have a few fans I move about to where I'm working!

BobL
2nd December 2014, 11:16 PM
If you are running decent dust extraction and venting the air outside the air temp inside the shed will be marginally what it is outside the shed. On days when its really hot I shut everything up turn on the air con and do something other than woodwork like play with electric motors, electronics or mechanical work.

Evanism
3rd December 2014, 01:31 AM
Best and easiest method to cool down a shed is paint the roof with Thermacote or any of the insulating paints - quick, easy, comparatively inexpensive and super efficient. Going to be painting the roof of my brand new shed as soon as I get in it (17 days to go but who's counting :; )

Where do you get thermacote? Google hasn't enlightened me :(

Bushmiller
3rd December 2014, 06:55 AM
Dave

What colour, if any, is the shed. Cream seems to be as cool as any and can make a huge difference over a dark colour. I would certainly investigate TTIT's suggestion too, although I have no direct knowledge of it.

Regards
Paul

Mobyturns
3rd December 2014, 07:37 AM
I have no solutions for the heat in the shed but we all should look after ourselves through summer & stay hydrated.

Most of us are not young, are pretty stubborn, love to tinker in the shed, & some of us have pre-existing medical conditions so we are high risk candidates.

Heat stress can sneak up on you. Unfortunately it may have already put you into a hazardous situation while operating the lathe & other machinery before you realize what is happening. If the heat stress becomes serious and progresses to heat stroke then you have a serious medical emergency on your hands.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Heat_stress_and_heat-related_illness

Scott
3rd December 2014, 07:38 AM

Try Googling "heat resistant paint for shed". Plenty of options :)

DSEL74
3rd December 2014, 07:56 AM
What about a whirly bird roof vent??? About $80 at the big box stores, cheaper round in plain gal.
https://www.masters.com.au/media/MASTERS/Product/1000x1000/900040942_0_9999_v1_m56577569831449361.jpg

joez
3rd December 2014, 11:24 AM
Instead of trying to cool the shed, how about just cooling yourself directly? I really want to give a cooling vest a shot:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Chillapak-Cooling-Vest-Fire-Resistant-Navy-XL-RRP-125-/121504856271?pt=AU_Protective_Gear&hash=item1c4a40f8cf#ht_407wt_1238

joez

dennisk
3rd December 2014, 04:25 PM
Move the shed to western Canada. It was -36 C with the wind chill, but as we say out here"its a dry cold"333181

A Duke
3rd December 2014, 04:42 PM
COOL.

Pat
3rd December 2014, 05:25 PM
Insulation and Airflow are the keys. I have widows, door, all 4 planes insulated, whirly bird extractor and a fan. I'm right till about 35°. Hydration is important as well. Changing tasks for less physically taxing tasks is also good.

MrFez
3rd December 2014, 05:29 PM
Some good suggestions there guys. Paul my shed is pressed steel dark green colour. It is naturally in the shade untill about 9am currently but then in full sun for the rest of the day.

I rather like the thought of moving to Canada, such a beautifull place, but I think the family might have something to say, about loosing a shed that is.

hughie
3rd December 2014, 05:30 PM

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=thermacote&oq=thermacote&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

http://www.trademarkify.com.au/trademark/766655?i=THERMACOTE-B_R_B_Holdings_Pty_Ltd#.VH6uutKUeSo

Nanigai
3rd December 2014, 07:02 PM
Move the shed to western Canada. It was -36 C with the wind chill, but as we say out here"its a dry cold"333181

Never heard of Dry Cold Dennisk. In western Queensland they call it a "dry heat" as the humidity is almost non existent compared to our tropical heat on the east coast. Looking forward to testing out your theory in a week or so when I am arriving in Calgary to visit my son and his family.

Looked up Acme AB. and see you aren't too far away from his place in Airdrie but couldn't find any reference to my childhood favourite Wile E. Coyote, "the king of Acme" :U

Cheers, Ian

Poloris
3rd December 2014, 07:22 PM
I insulated my shed ceiling with Bradford Supertel insulation.
They are 2400 x 1200mm cloth bats about 25mm thick.
I held them up with top hat batons 600mm apart running length ways to the batons with every second one straddling the end of two batons.
They made a huge difference, I can work in my shed year round.
Even on 40 degree days I can comfortably work in there up to lunch.
A added advantage is they absorb noise as well.

http://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/Products/Commerical/HVAC/Supertel.aspx

Mark

george mavridis
3rd December 2014, 07:29 PM
I work in my garage and as it faces south it cops the morning sun and heats up. I was told years ago about insulation bats/foam that can be put into the roller door panels to keep the garage insulated. Does anyone know what they are and where I could get some. My garage door is the standard panel lift roller door made of individual panels bolted together.

WOODbTURNER
3rd December 2014, 07:36 PM
I'm with TTIT. Living in Darwin it's always HOT. I got my house and shed roofs coated with a white reflective product by Dulux which works a treat. I can't recall the product name but Dulux will know.

Mobyturns
3rd December 2014, 09:31 PM
We had the house roof painted with Dulux Roofguard Solar Reflect two years ago before putting solar panels on the roof. It has made a huge difference and has cut the need to use the air cons. Probably dropped the inside temp by around 4 to 5 C.

TTIT
3rd December 2014, 11:00 PM
Where do you get thermacote? Google hasn't enlightened me :(There are a few on the market but the one we all used out here is Aussie made so why would you look any further!! :; http://australianpaints.com.au/?page_id=56 Everyone in our club did their shed roof once we felt how well it worked - and the club shed roof of course!! :U

RoyG
4th December 2014, 10:13 PM
After nearly cooking in my shed for the last few summers, and watching the roof leak every time it rained, I bit the bullet in September and did something about it. The old steel sheeting on the shed roof was rusting in places, and some of the roof purlins were very rusty where water had been leaking in. With the old roof (which a previous property owner had painted green) I'd seen the temperature inside the shed exceed 55 degrees when it's been 35 outside.

The new roof sheeting is light cream colourbond steel. The roofing contractor installed new purlins, then a layer of wire netting type material over the purlins, then 50mm foil backed pink insulation bats, then the roof sheeting.

The roofing contractor said that he's used the wire netting method to install foil backed pink bat insulation in a lot of sheds in this area, and says that it's easiest to do if you already have the roof sheeting off, but that if you're retrofitting the insulation under an existing shed roof, then the wire netting can be secured below the purlins by using metal or timber battens screwed to the underside of the purlins to hold the pink bats and the wire netting in place.

With the cream coloured roof, and the insulation, I'm able to comfortably work in there until the outside temperature pushes over the 35 degree mark, and even then if there's a breeze from the right direction (or if I've got the industrial standard fan running), I've been able to keep working during the hottest part of the afternoons.

Roy