PDA

View Full Version : heritage and organic seeds

HUON
3rd December 2014, 11:43 AM
I was going to start a compilation of seed growers when I came across the Organic Gardener website, what a list! No point in reinventing the wheel, it's pretty comprehensive. Even has poultry groups and lots more. Still I'm sure there are lots more to add to the list though, so please feel free to add any that you know of,. It's sure to be of benefit to anyone interested in gardening.
I'm going to see if I can find a site listing seedsaver groups
Cheers
Brendan
www.organicgardener.com.au (http://www.organicgardener.com.au) under resources then go to organic resources.

HUON
3rd December 2014, 12:12 PM
www.seedsavers.net (http://www.seedsavers.net) looks like a good starting point for finding a seedsaver group near your place.

HUON
6th December 2014, 08:02 PM
Crikey, have I offended everyone? surely not.

code4pay
7th December 2014, 10:17 AM
Don't think you have offended anyone , I checked out the website which is very good, thanks. I just didn't have anything to add to the conversation. :-)

HUON
9th December 2014, 03:18 PM
An interesting site regarding community gardens is the "Australian city farms and community gardens network, lots of interesting, informative advice as well as good links.

HUON
11th December 2014, 01:45 PM
Regarding seedsaving, I came across a good book called,(believe it or not) the Seed Savers handbook by Michel & Jude Fanton. Isbn 0 646 10226 24. And it's published in Australia.
Hope its still in print.

Berlin
15th December 2014, 10:29 PM
They're some good links there Huon.

I just planted my own seed that I've let the local climate (Ipswich) select. In mid September (already pretty warm) I planted some ordinary vitalis, epicure, dwarf brown, snake and butter beans bought from the hardware store and just let some of them tough it out – no water after they were out of the ground, no weeding, no fertiliser, pest control, nothing. They all grew but almost all carked it when the bad heat kicked in late October. More than I'd have imagined though put fruit on and one or two cropped pretty well considering, so I let it dry right out on the vine and collected it a week or two ago.

So now I've planted these trojans out again into more forgiving, more fertile soil and I won't skite yet but they've come out of the ground in record time. We'll see, it's hardly a scientific breeding program but it would be nice to develop some plants that produced the kind of yields they claim on the back of the packet but which didn't need gallons of water a day.

I'm pretty good at saving cobblers' pegs, they grow like champs. ;)

Matt