PDA

View Full Version : Dust Extractor's

Gaza
5th July 2005, 09:36 PM
Just wondering, who uses plastic disposable bags on their dust extractors, what is the most common model used out there in WWW land.

trying to get a feel of what most of you guys have in your workshops at home!

Gumby
5th July 2005, 09:40 PM
It depends on what you want to attach it to but generally, those with 1HP extractors upgrade to 2HP extractors at some stage. Then, with the extra power, you can go for a cuclone or separator before it gets to the DC. MY 1HP carba-tec came with a fabric bag but the new 2HPO has a plastic bottom bag.

craigb
5th July 2005, 09:44 PM
My Jet 1 hp has a fabric top and bottom.

I want to get a micro filter for the top and a plastic bag for the bottom.

graemet
5th July 2005, 09:53 PM
I still have the plastic "disposeable" bag on my DC but, being my lousy self, I empty it into a garbage bag for disposal. If I slide the garbage bag over the top of the collector bag and turn the whole lot upside down, I don't get much mess or free dust into the workshop. The old bag gets patched up with duct tape and returned to service until it's really had it. I can buy a couple of rolls of garbage bags for the price of the "throwaway" bag. So far, I have yet to use all the 5 bags that came with the machine.
I also replaced the calico bag with a 2 micron bag, the old one was hard pressed to filter out bits of 2x1! This means that my overhead air cleaner filter doesn't clog up in a day.
By the way, does anyone know where to buy 20x16x1 filters for less than $60?
Cheers,
Graeme

bitingmidge
5th July 2005, 10:08 PM
I still have the plastic "disposeable" bag on my DC but, being my lousy self, I empty it into a garbage bag for disposal. If I slide the garbage bag over the top of the collector bag and turn the whole lot upside down, I don't get much mess or free dust into the workshop. The old bag gets patched up with duct tape and returned to service until it's really had it. I can buy a couple of rolls of garbage bags for the price of the "throwaway" bag. So far, I have yet to use all the 5 bags that came with the machine.

Me too! Only I am yet to use any of the other four bags, and have only stuck two holes in the old one. (I'm very careful about that, the new plastic ones are $2.00 each!! :eek: )

Cheers,

P

Auld Bassoon
5th July 2005, 10:19 PM
Just wondering, who uses plastic disposable bags on their dust extractors, what is the most common model used out there in WWW land.

trying to get a feel of what most of you guys have in your workshops at home!G'day Gaza

(is that as in "gaza strip", if so what are you evacuatinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif?)

Just kidding!

I've got a 2hp TTI (and an old 1hp jobbie). The 2hp job has a plastic bag, and I secured a pack of five repleacements when I bought the machine, but as I have an intermediate (i.e. second-stage) collection bin, replacing the plastic bag hasn't been an issue to date.

Cheers!

journeyman Mick
5th July 2005, 11:33 PM
Gaza,
I've currently got a 2hp 2bag unit with the original bags on it. It will shortly be replaced with a 3hp 3 phase 4 bag unit, also with cloth bags. Shavings and sawdust get spread around the garden as mulch. In an urban industrial situation like yours the plastic bags would have advantages in reduced labour costs and ease of disposal. I'm going to move my DC out to a lean to in order to save space and get the fine dust out of the shed. I've looked at cyclones and pleated filters with plastic bags but building a cyclone wouldn't be a cost effective use of my time and the costs for it or a pleated filter would more than pay for the lean to.

Mick

gatiep
6th July 2005, 12:02 AM
Before I built the cyclone with plummed in pvc ducting I used the 56L black disposable gargage bags on the bottom of the 2 hp and the 1/2 hp german Elecktra Beckum portable dusties instead of the bottom cloth bag. When the bag is about 2/3 full I remove it, tie a knot in it and bin it. Occasionally a bag would get a pin hole which I used to patch with a small piece of duct tape. A very cheap and easy solution as I didn't have to tip the chips into something else, thereby inhaling more dust.

I now have a 210L plastic drum inline with my cyclone and a 90 L plastic dustbin on the pottom of the cyclone. I lign the dust bin with a garbage bag and put a few offcuts in the bottom to stop the bag being sucked back up the cyclone. The lid of the dust bin has a snug fitting hole onto the cyclone and it fits good onto the bin, which all helps to prevent the bag being sucked into the cyclone. It takes a long time to fill with very fine stuff as the chips get caught in the inline drum. The dust bin and bags are see thru, so when about 1/2 full, I remove the bag, tie it off and bin it. The course chips from the drum I distribute where I would normally mulch to keep the weeds down.

Gaza
6th July 2005, 11:17 PM
industrial situation Mick, this is for home use, i am sick of being at work and want to be able to do a bit of stuff at home. At work i have plastic all the way on a range of 1 & 2 bag three phase exstractors, bags cost a bomb which is a pain but i am looking in to getting them custom made instead of buying the real deal.

For my home work shop considering 2hp set up but was concered that the plastic would decrease the suction compared to the cloth bag on the bottom. At this stage not planing on a cyclone set up as moving house with in next few years.

soundman
7th July 2005, 12:13 AM
I was speaking to a bloke who did a lot of thicknessing, he used bulk firtiliser bags ( you know the ones they lift off the truck with a crane )on the bottom of his extractor. Well sort of under & to the side.
He wasn't keen on emptying bags. Someone came with a trailer & draged the stuff away for aminal bedding.

I recycle plastic bags too.

cheers