PDA

View Full Version : Oregon

rickb
5th July 2005, 09:43 PM
I have come across some oregon beams from a dismantled roof. The timber appears to be in good condition despite its age and I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tried their hand at turning this wood http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon5.gif

bitingmidge
5th July 2005, 10:10 PM
I've turned it into lots of things!

Cheers,

P :D

bitingmidge
5th July 2005, 10:15 PM
Oh alright! I've also played with it on a lathe, I'm a bit below beginner, but found as you have no doubt heard, that the difference in density of the rings will make it a bit difficult to get a nice smooth finish.

Having said that, there are lots of other effects you can create, by burning, wire brushing etc to highlight this.

One of my favourites is turning concentrically with the grain, so you end up with parallel grain round the bowl/whatever.

Have a play and find out!

Cheers,

P

echnidna
5th July 2005, 10:22 PM
It turns ok.
Many turned veranda posts are oregon.

routermaniac
5th July 2005, 10:50 PM
I have turned a a few spindles out of it, mainly ornmental handles for tools that were never mean to be used. :) Although it turns not so nice, the stuff I came across sanded really well and hence the finish was flawless. I only finished off with oil and it looked great.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th July 2005, 01:32 AM
For me skew chisels catch a lot more easily in oregon than other woods and even the sharpest scrapers tend to tear out the softer rings leaving a ridged grain pattern. With care and sanding this can create some lovely effects though. For a smooth finish of Oregon I prefer gouges, but to each his own.

Also, mounting can be a hassle. If you want to chuck-mount it use a good sized tenon, not a recess; it cracks easily and thin-walled oregon bowls don't survive impacts very well at all... :eek: