PDA

View Full Version : Old VL200 Lathe

Luke Maddux
5th December 2014, 05:19 AM
Hi,

I have a chance to buy an older model Vicmarc VL200 Lathe.

I have seen a newer model VL200 in action and it's exactly what I want in a lathe.

This lathe is a 1994 model. So it's 20 years old. It looks like it has seen plenty of use, but it has in no way been abused. It has a typical amount of surface rust and grime that you would expect from a 20 year old machine, but otherwise it doesn't look like anything that some elbow grease, maybe some grease grease, and a new belt wouldn't sort out.

So let's make the assumption that it's still running - or still could be running - as well or close to as well as it did back when OJ was on trial, the Beastie Boys were still at large, and I was far more concerned with Playstation 1 than spinning blocks of wood.

How does it stack up against today's VL200? I know it doesn't have EVS and that's not an issue. I'm looking for commentary on power, stability, and any features (or lack thereof) that would be considered the norm on today's higher end lathes.

Pretty much any feedback would be appreciated. The price is right and it would be nice to upgrade to a lathe that can handle turning large items with efficiency.

Thanks in advance for any commentary.

Mobyturns
5th December 2014, 07:18 AM
If the price is agreeable, just purchase it & make stuff!

There are many clubs about with 20 yo Vicmarcs still on the workshop floor. They are unkillable and will take a lot of abuse. As for what is missing - not much except the EVS as you say. There are of course other innovations such as sliding/rotating head stocks but you can live without them. You can always retrofit EVS or a larger motor. Spindle thread is most probably M30 & the castings, headstock & tailstock will be pretty much as they are today.

artme
5th December 2014, 07:21 AM
Always have been and always will be a good lathe.

We had one at the club in Brisbane and it wouuld be about the same age. The go to lathe for a lot of small to medium sized jobs jobs.

Just check for slop in the tailstock, alignment of centres and condition of bearings. Bearings are easy enough to replace.

Luke Maddux
5th December 2014, 07:41 AM
Always have been and always will be a good lathe.

We had one at the club in Brisbane and it wouuld be about the same age. The go to lathe for a lot of small to medium sized jobs jobs.

Just check for slop in the tailstock, alignment of centres and condition of bearings. Bearings are easy enough to replace.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Artme, you mentioned small to medium work. I'm actually wanting to get this lathe so that I can turn larger items. I would like something that can turn up to 12" diameter and up to 8" thick bowls without shaking violently or bogging down when I take a reasonable cut. Does this fit that bill in your mind?

Jim Carroll
5th December 2014, 09:17 AM
Luke that would fall into the medium size work.

Securing the piece to the lathe is the main concern with the correct chuck and jaws as well as faceplates.

The mass of the lathe will help

turnerted
5th December 2014, 04:44 PM
Luke
It will easily handle that size . I have turned many bowls up to 400mm on my old 94 VL200 and larger outboard.
My old lathe is still for sale and has mechanical variable speed from 190 to 2500rpm.
Ted