PDA

View Full Version : its gonna do my head in

maddog 62
8th December 2014, 01:49 PM
Hello everyone
its been awhile but i finally got a chance to make a couple of pens but as usual for me when i make one out of wood something goes wrong
and this time of year its usually the finish
as per the pics below 15 coats of thin CA let it sit over night, polished it this morning and as you can see iv stuffed it
now i have to sand it back ever so gently as not to stuff the laser work underneath (Tony from perfect pens done the work)
apart from the obvious (dont use it) anyone got any tip/tricks to putting on CA when the humidity is on the up

thankyou in advance for any feed back
cheers Tony

dai sensei
8th December 2014, 04:42 PM
No need to sand back, just put more on, after removing any finish with steel wool and metho. Looks like you just sanded through, easy to do when you just use thin CA, with even that many coats it is still stuff all thick.

maddog 62
8th December 2014, 07:42 PM
Neil
thanks for the reply
there i was thinking it wasthe humidity in the air that was my enemy it seems to happen every year around the coming wet season
i did mean by sanding back in the orginal post was remove all the old CA
you recommend steel wood rather than sand paper?
just satisfy my curiosity if i sanded thru why did it only take off that whats in the photo and not all of it ?
cheers Tony

dai sensei
8th December 2014, 09:14 PM
i did mean by sanding back in the orginal post was remove all the old CA

No need, you can just put more over the top, but need to remove any waxes/finishes

you recommend steel wood rather than sand paper?

steel wool (xxxx) with metho, to remove any waxes/finishes, minimises how much of the original CA is removed

just satisfy my curiosity if i sanded thru why did it only take off that whats in the photo and not all of it ?

The edges are removed because you have rolled the sand paper over the edge. The edges always sand more than the flat. This is the one disadvantage of using cones, you need to be very careful of how you sand, it's often better to avoid the edge all together. Also by using thin CA, it is a very thin coating on the edges. I only use thin for the first few coast, to ensure I have a good bond with timber, but then go to medium or thick.

With all the moisture in the air at the moment, ensure you wipe the timber surface with metho before starting, it helps remove moisture. There is also a risk to using thin, you can get blooming, hence also my preference for thick.

Perfect Pens
8th December 2014, 11:23 PM
Hi Tony,

Sorry to see you are having some issues with your CA finish. Good to chat tonight though and I sure hope you get it all sorted.

Cheers
Tony

maddog 62
8th December 2014, 11:43 PM
Neil
Thanks the info you have provided will help me heaps i am thinking

And Tony
it was good to chat will keep in touch with my progress

again to all thanks for the feed back
chees Tony