PDA

View Full Version : Time for a DC forum?

Cagey
6th July 2005, 01:24 PM
There are so many posts about DCs and cyclones that maybe its time for seperate forum :D :D :D . Anyhoo my question is, has any one ever just swapped the motor on their DC? I have a 1hp CT job with needlefelt bag (i thought it was a good idea at the time) which is now not adequate. This was going to be a part time hobby, 1 or two machines, have a bit of a laugh...you know how it goes. Now i want to run a cyclone so need more power, and im thinking why not just replace motor rather than upgrade the whole thing. Am i missing something?

Dr Dee
6th July 2005, 02:22 PM
Cagey,
I agree. As someone who is spending most of their spare time (and $) establishing a new worshop, I have put a lot of time into reading about dust collection, cyclones, 2 stage bins etc. There is a lot here and a separate forum would be good.

In the same vein, how about a separate forum for SHARPENING. There is a wide range of ideas and innovations on this topic.

Dr Dee

echnidna
6th July 2005, 02:47 PM
And we could have yet another forum on suggestions

speedy
6th July 2005, 03:02 PM
Sorry, it's not just the size of the motor, the fan is larger that's the reason for the larger motor. It's all about size, it does matter. ;)

HappyHammer
6th July 2005, 03:11 PM
Maybe a forum on Workshops which could include DC, Storage, Shelving, Layout, Design, building etc etc. to keep the number of forums down?

HH.

Gumby
6th July 2005, 06:01 PM
Selling thje 1HP is a better option i would think. You won't drop too much. A good second hand 1HP is worth around $120 for the basic model.

Good idea about a separate forum. ;)

journeyman Mick
6th July 2005, 11:37 PM
Cagey,
sure, you can upgrade the motor to a 2hp unit, but to make use of the extra power you really need a larger fan. Then of course you'll need a larger housing for the fan, a larger inlet and outlet and of course larger top and bottom bags. So once you've done all that you can sell the leftover bits (1 x 1 hp DC :D ) which will help pay for all the bits you bought. :rolleyes: ;)

Mick

Cagey
6th July 2005, 11:44 PM
See, I knew there was a good reason.

kiwigeo
7th July 2005, 08:12 PM
A seperate DC forum.....that sucks!