PDA

View Full Version : Speaker tone

neksmerj
9th December 2014, 07:51 PM
Got a curly one for you. Just purchased my first digital radio, and I'm not happy with the tone, it's too deep.

Is there some way I can sharpen up the tone and drop out some of the lows. It's not fitted with a tone control. It sort of sounds like there's a sock placed over the speaker.

Can I hang something off the speaker, and change the characteristics? A capacitor or something?

Perhaps a few more glasses of medicine might help!

Ken

mike48
11th December 2014, 12:16 PM

can you please tell us the brand and model of the radio, and whether bought "new"?

Bob Willson
11th December 2014, 05:39 PM
Also, what brand and model of medicine you are taking to cure your condition?

Uncle Al
11th December 2014, 06:24 PM
May I suggest plugging in a pair of good quality headphones to see if they exhibit the same sort of tone. Doing this will eliminate a problem with the speaker as against the actual tone of the radio.

Alan...

BobL
11th December 2014, 10:58 PM
May I suggest plugging in a pair of good quality headphones to see if they exhibit the same sort of tone. Doing this will eliminate a problem with the speaker as against the actual tone of the radio.

Alan...

Maybe you want to try this after the warranty runs out but it could be somethingpPhysical like the backs of the speaker chambers are too air tight - this may muffle the sound and cause it to sound "bassey" The way to fix this would then be to drill a couple of holes in the back of the speaker enclosure.

neksmerj
13th December 2014, 12:18 AM
In answer to questions, the radio is a new Bush BR25DAB, retail around $40 from The Good Guys.

With headphones plugged in, the sound is terrific, clear as a bell, so it's the speaker.

My medicine is De Bortoli Sacred Hill Semillon Sauvignon Blanc, and at $6 ($4.50 on special) a bottle, it's not a bad drop.

I use it purely for medicinal purposes, it helps me sleep and sleep and sleep.

Ken

mike48
13th December 2014, 08:04 AM
Hi Ken

Uncle Al nailed it in one, and you have assessed it probably correctly. Speaker.

It really annoys me this DAB radio thing.
The transmitted quality is extremely good, and AM stations duplicate good music programs on DAB.
Then the DAB receiver manufacturers ruin the possible performance by installing small loudspeakers.

For a revelation, try cabling the output from a DAB receiver into a lounge room HiFi system, and stand back.
Absolutely superb.

And, ...try to find a mini or micro HiFi with DAB; only a very few around.

Ken, for a listening comparison with your Bush, my Pure One sounds tinny and "ssssy".
(The geometric mean of the lows and highs of the audio system of internal amp and speaker is skewed towards the high frequencies, making it "sssy").

mike