PDA

View Full Version : My version of the Atkins No. 26 pattern makers saw

rob streeper
11th December 2014, 08:44 AM
I've had this Atkins No. 26 pattern makers saw for some time and am finding myself needing it more and more in my saw making. It has a 'Silver Steel' blade 0.028" thick and 14 p.p.i.

Rather than degrade from it's collector value as it is a practically new-in-the box saw I thought I'd make one.

I chose to tooth mine at 16 p.p.i. using a 0.025" plate and the blade is riveted to the handle. I used rivets because bolts and split nuts looked disproportionately large to me, rivets are cheap and if I ever need to remove the blade I can simply drill them out. The handle is Palo Santo. I find the Atkins handle somewhat uncomfortable so I beveled the bottom of the handle to allow a nicer rest for my pinkie finger. Need to complete finishing and it's ready for work.

Cheers,
Rob

planemaker
11th December 2014, 10:40 AM
Hi Rob. Would I be right in thinking the original has been sharpened peg tooth using a cant file.

Stewie;

rob streeper
11th December 2014, 10:44 AM
Hi Rob. Would I be right in thinking the original has been sharpened peg tooth using a cant file.

Stewie;

Hi Stewie,

Yes both the original and my reproduction have peg teeth. Hard to get a good picture but here they are.

Sharp too.

Cheers,
Rob

IanW
11th December 2014, 09:47 PM
Hi Rob - what part of saw-making do you use it for, & why does it do what it does better than other saws?

I've got a couple of saws I use for making saws, too: 333946

They are sharpened with an aggressive rake to cut on the pull stroke. They have no set, & I use them to round out the back of the handle slot to let the blade settle deeper into the handle. I've made 3 so far, in different gauges to suit the saw plate gauge.

Cheers,

rob streeper
12th December 2014, 01:14 AM
Hi Rob - what part of saw-making do you use it for, & why does it do what it does better than other saws?

I've got a couple of saws I use for making saws, too: 333946

They are sharpened with an aggressive rake to cut on the pull stroke. They have no set, & I use them to round out the back of the handle slot to let the blade settle deeper into the handle. I've made 3 so far, in different gauges to suit the saw plate gauge.

Cheers,

Ian,

I use the pattern makers saw for both squaring out the mortise for the blade, for cutting around the lambs tongue and for anything else I need it for. I've made cat's-paws too, everything has it's use.

Cheers,
Rob

rob streeper
4th January 2015, 11:13 AM
We've sold a couple of these saws as kits and today one of the buyers asked for instructions, thus I needed pictures and in the process I made another of these saws. This has a 0.015" plate toothed 16 ppi with standard 60o rip filing, 20o rake and the handle is Peruvian walnut.