PDA

View Full Version : New to turning and need help with my lathe

mattm82
12th December 2014, 01:45 PM
Hi all,

I am brand new to wood turning and have just picked up a Woodfast M408S in great condition for the princely sum of $300.

It doesn't however have a chuck and the tailstock ram doesn't have any attachments (forgive me if my terminology is wrong, Google told me to say it)

I am wanting to know if the thread will fit a standard wood turning Chuck. I was hoping to get a woodfast one. I've emailed them but they don't seem particularly interested in answering.

The other question is whether the tail stock is an MT2, looks about that size to me.

I am planning on turning round handles for knife steels and down the track I'll probably play around with other projects.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evanism
12th December 2014, 05:57 PM
Congrats with your win. I think there were a few of us in Canberra watching that one. GrayDog will be weeping.

The M408S is the short version of the M408.

This is stolen after a bit of a Google.... "swing over bed: 16 inches standard, 20 inches available; Spindle speeds: 5 speed model, 370, 650, 1200, 2000, 2700 rpm; variable speed model 0-2750; spindle thread size: 1-1/4 x 8 tpi inboard, 1-1/4 x 8 tpi L.H. outboard; head and tailstock taper: No. 2 MT; center spindle to floor: 45 inches on 16 inch model, 47 inches on 20 inch models; indexing: equal spaces 24, 12, 8, 6,4,3, 2; weight, net: M408-385 lbs, M908-520 lbs"

So, your tailstock is an MT2, you're saved! The spindle is 1 1/4" x 8tpi.

I don't believe there is too much trauma there as my mate Delbs (in Belco) had a similar beastie and we just needed to grab the appropriate threaded insert for the chuck. (Chucks are sold with inserts (a giant screw) so they don't need to make 420 different models...one model and you get the right insert for some trivial fee)

You are lucky in Canberra, there are HEAPS of lathe and turning nuts here :)

mattm82
12th December 2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks Evanism, Greydog got me on the first one and had a crack at the second!!!

Good to hear there is lots of interest about in Canberra. I didn't realise that threaded adapters were available (mainly as I know nothing about turning).

I appreciate the info.

Matt

Treecycle
12th December 2014, 09:19 PM
Just had a look on Carrolls website and the 1 1/4" insert is available for both the Vicmarc and Nova chucks, so you won't have any problems getting the right insert if you are to pick up a chuck secondhand.
(http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vm90100-chuck-inserts)http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vm90100-chuck-inserts
http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/nova-supernova-supernova-deluxe-inserts

Jim Carroll
12th December 2014, 09:32 PM
Before ordering your Vicmarc chuck please check the spindle thread.

Woodfast Australia only made 1" x 10tpi or M30 x 3.5mm

I would hazard to say more the imperial size than the metric. depending on its age which will be stamped on the bed ways at the tailstock end.

The tailstock will be 2mt same as the headstock spindle.

Give us a call if you need any more info.

powderpost
12th December 2014, 09:41 PM
spindle thread size: 1-1/4 x 8 tpi inboard, 1-1/4 x 8 tpi L.H. outboard;

I would urge you to get hold of some thread gauges, check the tpi, and then and check the diameter of the thread. My Woodfast catalogue lists the 408S as having 1" bsf x 10 tpi as standard with optional 30mm x 3.5mm pitch. 30 x 3.5 is very close to 1 1/4". I have a 1989 model, which has a 30 x 3.5 thread on the nose, your lathe is the same as mine only, as mentioned, is the short bed version. In my opinion, for what it is worth, these lathes are as good if not better than any other machine in the market.

It is possible the data mentioned is from an American model.

Jim

Evanism
12th December 2014, 10:22 PM
The info was just googled, as I couldn't find different I assumed it was right.

Mattm82, I have a heap of chucks. If you are close I'll lend you one to test...you might be lucky and have an m30x3.5....they are everywhere!

Jim Carroll
13th December 2014, 10:50 AM

Mattm82, I have a heap of chucks. If you are close I'll lend you one to test...you might be lucky and have an m30x3.5....they are everywhere!

Quite possible the US version as they dont like 1" x 10 as that is british and the M30 is Australian.

The 1-1/4 x 8 is close to M30 but not quite

Paul39
13th December 2014, 12:21 PM
Mattm82,

Here in the USA my 20 inch swing Woodfast has 1 1/4 inch X 8 TPI. My Hegner has 33 X 3.5 mm thread. Several others have 1 inch X 8 TPI.

One can find almost any lathe spindle thread anywhere.

Another way to find thread pitch is to wrap a piece of paper around the spindle thread and keeping the paper in place burnish the paper in order to get slight indentation from the thread. Then put an imperial and metric ruler on the marks to see which is closer.

To get diameter, hold a ruler up to the end of the ;spindle and look at it with your eye at the tail center. Again with metric and imperial. Of course the best is to have a chuck adapter thread on.

See below for photo of my 20 inch swing short bed Woodfast. It is about a 1995 vintage. It is easy working, heavy, stable, a wonderful machine.

I think yours is similar. You will love it.

mattm82
13th December 2014, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies gents. I am now very pleased with my purchase, excited to start turning and a bit better educated about it. I'll post some pics of some turning attempts as soon as I get it running.

It might be a little while. I'm currently trying to rearrange my little workshop (my single car garage) to fit it in a useable place!

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac95/mattm982/87D2458B-71BF-496E-8A88-9DEED8978F3B_zpslqppy52c.jpg

Cheers

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul39
14th December 2014, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies gents. I am now very pleased with my purchase, excited to start turning and a bit better educated about it. I'll post some pics of some turning attempts as soon as I get it running.

It might be a little while. I'm currently trying to rearrange my little workshop (my single car garage) to fit it in a useable place!
Cheers
Matt

You have lots of room, I can see floor.

What is your metal lathe on the right?

mattm82
14th December 2014, 07:00 AM
I feel like I should be able to move through it without injury Paul39!
The metal lathe is a Mars Great Scot I bought from Ueee

Paul39
14th December 2014, 11:14 AM
The metal lathe is a Mars Great Scot I bought from Ueee

You can use the Great Scot to make accessories for your Woodfast.

Some History of the Great Scott: http://www.lathes.co.uk/conrik/

mattm82
14th December 2014, 03:36 PM
You can use the Great Scot to make accessories for your Woodfast.

Some History of the Great Scott: http://www.lathes.co.uk/conrik/

Thanks Paul39. I am a rank amateur with the metal lathe as well. I plan to start with some very basic projects incorporating both tools but that's a great suggestion that I will certainly give some thought to as my skill increases.

Same goes with my milling ability I mainly use it to cut slots for knife guards and to square up blocks of wood.

Old Croc
14th December 2014, 10:24 PM
Yep, and I thought my shed was crowded. Love the blue anvil.
Enjoy using both lathes,
Rgds,
Crocy

mattm82
15th December 2014, 12:05 AM
Thanks Crocy,

I'll do my best. That anvil gets a great workout, one of my favourite tools!

Matt

mattm82
17th December 2014, 12:01 AM

Dropped in on Evanism today, who was very generous with his time and knowledge. I borrowed the Chuck and have an m30x3.5 thread.

Ueee visited today and it's now running nicely on my VFD!

There is going to be a lot of wood chips very soon I hope!

Cheers

Matt

george mavridis
17th December 2014, 12:07 AM
That's what I love about this forum, everyone is so helpful.

sparkie54
17th December 2014, 04:19 PM
Ha You won't see all the other stuff once you start turning - The shavings will cover it.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

mattm82
17th December 2014, 11:35 PM
Ha You won't see all the other stuff once you start turning - The shavings will cover it.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/happy/biggrin.gif

I spent the arvo on the metal lathe and that was bad enough! Hopefully the dust extractor I've had sitting about gathering dust (oh the irony) will help with that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk