PDA

View Full Version : Grubs in the Worm Cafe

Kidbee
12th December 2014, 09:07 PM
The worm farm has been almost free of compost fly grubs but with the hotter summer days, the grubs are at their peak. The worm farm is located in a black plastic tub configuration called a 'worm cafe'. I have read it is a pH thing but despite putting Ag lime on them it seems to have no effect.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Toymaker Len
12th December 2014, 09:51 PM
I think that fly problems in the worm cafe stem from two things. First you can't put meat, fish heads, dairy products, etc into the worm farm because they don't make good food for worms but excellent food for maggots and they make it acid. Second you have to keep it properly sealed so that flies can't get in and lay their eggs. What we do is give all the food scraps to the chickens and then give the chicken and straw etc to the worms.

pjt
13th December 2014, 11:59 PM
Years ago I rang our local DPI (or something like it) enquiring about some life that was in my compost bin, I had lots of grubs that I did not recoginize, turns out to be a black soldier fly about an inch long, they said not to worry about it so I haven't, I just googled it, it can be quite beneficial in helping in the breakdown process within a compost bin but may not be able to cohabit with worms, I guess it just depends on the circumstance whether life is desired or undesired.

Pete

fenderbelly
28th January 2015, 10:18 PM
The worm farm has been almost free of compost fly grubs but with the hotter summer days, the grubs are at their peak. The worm farm is located in a black plastic tub configuration called a 'worm cafe'. I have read it is a pH thing but despite putting Ag lime on them it seems to have no effect.

Anyone got any suggestions?

oops a bit late but my book says to put a slice of bread in and the grubs will migrate to that. then you take out the bread and dispose it,

issatree
29th January 2015, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
Bought 2 of those fly catchers from Bunnings, has a yellow cap with 4 holes & some powder, that dissolves in water. Just hung it up outside the back door, approx. 10 ft. away.
Best thing we have ever had. Blowies & House flies, just can't resist it.
Caught so many that I had to throw it out, as it had a good 3in. of flies that had turned into maggots, so I just put the other one up.