PDA

View Full Version : What wood is this?

Faulko
13th December 2014, 03:28 PM
Salvaged this wood from see chainsaw training (with permission). It's had three coats of tung oil, it was lighter and a bit picker to my eye when freshly turned. I thought it was blue gum, but now having doubts...any help with I'd appreciated. Thanks

Big A
13th December 2014, 06:14 PM
Wiser people than me will probably give the definitive answer, but it looks awfully like the bit of Murray River Redgum that I posted about some time ago. Without the feature on the side, though. Hunter River Redgum?

Alister.

Scott
14th December 2014, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Redgum as well :)

dai sensei
14th December 2014, 03:58 PM
Assuming as it was a chainsaw course it would be a local timber, could well be may of the red eucalypts. Could well be Sydney Blue Gum (aka Forest Red Gum).

How heavy was it, what did the bark look like, or any other info?

Faulko
15th December 2014, 09:41 AM
Was reasonably heavy, and hard. Might have a small piece showing bark, will check tonight.

Faulko
15th December 2014, 08:14 PM
Found a few bits with bark and grain colour...

Faulko
15th December 2014, 08:22 PM
More pics

hughie
15th December 2014, 10:39 PM
More pics

Tenebrasruis Lignum I suspect :U

powderpost
15th December 2014, 11:05 PM

Good grief... Batman... a new species???? :o

Robyn

Big A
16th December 2014, 10:36 AM

Rushing darkness lignum? I was going to say "?", but then I saw the smiley - is a lower extremity being being elongated?

However, still no wiser about what wood it is after the additional photos.

Alister.

(Three letters disappeared in the quotation with the ? in it. The first one was W.)

Paul39
16th December 2014, 10:59 AM
Very nice color and figure.

Tiswood as opposed to tain't wood. Or maybe Fog, (found on ground). I have bunches of both. :D:D:D

Faulko
16th December 2014, 02:07 PM
I really dont know, but sensai's call of sydney blue gum (aka forest red gum) does fit....i've seen similar wood referred to as this..

one of life's great mysteries

thanks to all