PDA

View Full Version : wood and resin offset pendants

turnerted
14th December 2014, 03:50 PM
G'day
Here's some pendants I made based on Brendan Stemp's video.
Initially I tried using polyester resin but I gave up on that as there was too weak adhesion between resin and wood. I then swapped to epoxy resin.
I changed the method a bit from Brendans . I found it easier to drill the offset on the lathe .I prepared my blank as an 80mm square cross section bit of timber and mounted it my chuck with a spacer about 4mm thick on two adjacent sides to make the offset, then bored my recess with a 21/8" forstner .I then took it out of the chuck and parted off the end on my table saw about a mm thicker than the depth of the recess .I then mounted the parted off end back in my chuck ,turned over the other way , but without the offset and hot melt glued on a tennon.
I glued in the inclusions with 5 minute epoxy then poured in the epoxy resin and left them in the preasure pot overnight.
Next day I turned off the corners then drilled the hole for the cord on the drill press ,then turned the face of the pendant to a slight dome , sanded to 600,coated with CA and finished sanding with micromesh and EEE . I then mounted the finished surface on a pendant chuck usind double sided tape as described in a video by Dan Douthant .
I parted off the tennon on the glue line and finished as above .I hope you find this of interest and thanks to Brendan and Dan for their videos.
Ted

Cliff Rogers
14th December 2014, 03:55 PM
Good stuff,:2tsup: any chance of taking a couple of WIP shots the next time you do one?

Hermit
14th December 2014, 04:29 PM
They look great, Ted. :2tsup:
Particularly the one with the little purple flowers in it. (What are they?)

I haven't watched Brendan's resin vids yet. I have a long way to go before I start playing with that sort of thing. I've watched most of his others, though. A wealth of knowledge and tips. :cool:

dai sensei
14th December 2014, 08:36 PM
Nice work, they look great :2tsup:

powderpost
15th December 2014, 09:38 AM
They are very nice Ted, excellent job.... :2tsup:

Jim

turnerted
21st December 2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the comments
Cliff. I have a sale coming up and if there is sufficient interest in these and I decide to make some more ,I will try to remember to take a few photos along the way.
Hermit.The flowers are artificial . I experimented with drying flowers ,which is quite easy in the microwave , but they tend to become very brittle and loose their colour . Artificial flowers are so so realistic nowadays , so I decided that was the way to go .
Ted

brendan stemp
3rd January 2015, 06:54 AM
Excellent work Ted. They look beautiful. I hope we get to see more of what you do with this idea. The handful that I have done have proved popular.
Have jsut arrived back from a cyber free 3week holiday to see what you had posted.

elderly
3rd January 2015, 07:21 AM
Very nice Ted.
Cheers Frank.

turnerted
3rd January 2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks Brendan .
I'me now investigating embeding insects . I thing something like christmas beatles or those big blue and black weavils would look good .
Ted