PDA

View Full Version : Starrett 676-2 magnetic Back

ventureoverland
15th December 2014, 05:46 PM
Guys,
Any ideas where I can get a Starrett 676-2 magnetic back for my dial indicator?

Ive tried eBay for a few months with no luck, resorted to popping into Blackwoods today. They didn't have one but they did call Starrett in Sydney and they said they could get one from the USA but would take at least 10 weeks!!

Thanks
Jon

Michael G
15th December 2014, 06:02 PM
I have had problems with magnetic items being posted from the US - a magnetic screwdriver might have interfered with aircraft navigation equipment, so while I would suggest US ebay, it may not be able to be sent (that's probably why it's 10 weeks).

Michael

jack620
17th December 2014, 05:34 PM
Would one of these suffice? Ridiculous postage, but you get the idea.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MIGHTY-MAG-UNIVERSAL-MAGNETIC-BASE-USA-400-1-FOR-DIAL-TEST-ELECTRONIC-INDICATORS-/121486048485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4921fce5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ventureoverland
18th December 2014, 06:41 AM
Would one of these suffice? Ridiculous postage, but you get the idea.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MIGHTY-MAG-UNIVERSAL-MAGNETIC-BASE-USA-400-1-FOR-DIAL-TEST-ELECTRONIC-INDICATORS-/121486048485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4921fce5

I had seen those and thought one may work - I was also put off by the postage! However I think Id still need a different back on the indicator - one with a lug to fit in the hole. Wonder if I could make one??

The other thing Id need to check is how high the indicator end would be off the lathe bed when in use - if its too high it would sit above the lathe bed and so be of no use! The dimensions quoted for the magnet are 4.5" x 1" x 1.25", at best that puts the centre of the indicator 1.25" above the lathe bed - time to do some measuring!!

Definitely food for thought though. Thanks for posting.

R
J

Michael G
18th December 2014, 07:03 AM
Jon, there is nothing particularly special about an indicator back. They are normally a die cast part, flat with a lug on it. You could either machine the lug off or make up a new cover from some Al sheet. An old speaker magnet of the right size would probably do (attached with some glue?) to hold it on to your lathe. You may be able to find other suitable magnets at educational toy shops.
Don't go too weak with the magnet - while a light force may be nicer to handle, it has to be able to withstand the reaction force from the indicator. While the plunger force is typically low you want the certainty that the deflection you read is actually the deflection that has taken place.
My main concern with this sort of mount would be that it will attract swarf. Maybe a cover that can be removed to knock the swarf off?

Michael

ventureoverland
18th December 2014, 10:43 AM
Micheal, liking the sound of a speaker magnet and a machined back...

Thanks for the idea, I'll see what magic I can work:)

R
J

Thx
Jon

SurfinNev
18th December 2014, 08:09 PM
Cheaper option for the Mighty Mag.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mighty-Mag-400-1-Universal-Magnetic-Base-USA-for-Dial-Test-Electronic-Indicators-/121486048485?

Nev.

jack620
19th December 2014, 07:56 AM
Nev,
When I log in to eBay the postage on that item is $57. Is the cheaper postage to Canada?

DSEL74
19th December 2014, 09:48 AM
Nev,
When I log in to eBay the postage on that item is $57. Is the cheaper postage to Canada?

It shows this to me:
US $14.55 (approx. C $16.96) USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service

jack620
22nd December 2014, 05:59 PM
It shows this to me:
US $14.55 (approx. C $16.96) USPS First Class Mail Intl / First Class Package Intl Service

Yeah me too. But the link takes you to the eBay Canada website. As soon as I log in to my eBay account the postage jumps to US$46. Am I missing something?

SurfinNev
23rd December 2014, 08:44 AM
I was not signed in when I saw the cheaper postage. Changes for me as well to -

US $46.50

Australia

USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab.

US $29.75

Australia

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate Box

Estimated Delivery within 6-11 business days
Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab.