PDA

View Full Version : Which Chuck??

mattm82
17th December 2014, 11:08 AM
Hi all,

Brand new to turning and have just picked up a Woodfast M408S, now nicely wired up to my VFD and all set to go. I need to get a Chuck for it and have done a little research but don't know enough to decide so a little help would be appreciated. These chucks are all in my budget.

I'm leaning toward the teknatool supanova2 as it seems like a good buy but know bigger all.

Pops shed
Vicmark VM120 $260
Vicmark VM90 $215

Carbatec
Teknatool G3 key operated Chuck $195

Teknatool Supanova2 key operated Chuck $229 on special $171

Amazon
Nova G3 $126 + shipping to Aus

Woodfast
Geared scroll Chuck $185

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

george mavridis
17th December 2014, 11:55 AM
Personally I'd go Vicmarc all the way. Keep an eye out sometimes second hand ones come up.

Jim Carroll
17th December 2014, 12:20 PM
The best option for this size lathe would be the Vicmarc VM100 Scroll chuck (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vm100-scroll-chuck).

There is lots of options available for this chuck

For a beginner the VM120 is a big chuck so not needed

The Others are ok but the Vicmarc is the better option

mattm82
17th December 2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the input gents, is there a particular reason that Vicmark is best?
Regards,
Matt

Treecycle
17th December 2014, 12:55 PM
Quality of build and made in Australia.

Enfield Guy
17th December 2014, 01:24 PM
Vermec at Redcliffe in Brisbane should also be included i the mix I reckon. Made in Brissy, reasonably priced and excellent quality as well. No affiliation, just like their gear. Their "economy 100mm chuck" $160. Google Vermec.

Cheers
Bevan

mat_au
17th December 2014, 01:43 PM
go the vicmarc, i got the nova from carbortec when i first started as i didnt know much about chucks now i have 2 vicmarcs and love then, i still use the nove only cos the jaws i have on them and im too lazy to change jaws lol

got mine both from popshed fantastic ppl and very happy to help you

stuffy
17th December 2014, 01:55 PM
Spend the extra $$ and get the VM120, you won't regret it.

You can turn small things in a VM120 with the right jaws, but your lathe can handle bigger stuff.

If you settle for something smaller you'll be okay for a while but eventually you'll want to turn a decent size bowl or a taller vase or hollow form and a smaller chuck will struggle.

Steve
:)

mattm82
17th December 2014, 02:01 PM
I do like AUS made!! Seems Vicmark is the way to go but I'll check out the Vermec gear and make a decision. Cheers,

Matt

greyhound
17th December 2014, 03:33 PM
The best option for this size lathe would be the Vicmarc VM100 Scroll chuck (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/item/vicmarc-vm100-scroll-chuck).

Yep agree the only way to go IMHO :2tsup:

ogato
17th December 2014, 09:34 PM
The concensus amongst experienced turners that I hang with is Vicmarc are the best units - no question. The best buy in the long run.

Jeff

mattm82
17th December 2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for your input Jim,

I noticed you added that the VM120 is big and not needed. I'm wondering whether its size would be a hinderance or is it that I don't need the outlay?

If it just that it's not required at this stage and more expensive then I'm inclined to fork out the extra so I don't need to later but if you think it would actually make things harder as a beginner I'll get the VM100.

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

issatree
18th December 2014, 12:15 AM
Hi Mattm82,
I'm with Jim on this one, even though I have 4 Black older Nova's. Yes, I think these days that The Vicmarc is the one.
Need the 120 ?, don't think so, as you can get all the different Jaws to go with it, & very little Maintenance to be done, with a squirt of Graphite Powder, & as was said,
Away You Go.

Paul39
18th December 2014, 02:13 AM
Several years ago I needed a big chuck for my 20 inch swing Woodfast. I had a smaller Oneway toggle bar chuck that came with the Hegner and it worked fine with the exception of two hands to work the toggles and one hand to hold the blank.

I chatted with a turning demonstrator who had both Oneway and Vicmarc chucks. He said the Vicmarc was the best with Oneway second. I decided on the Oneway Stronghold 4 1/2 inch because it was made closer to home (Canada) and I could get bare chuck, #3 jaws, and adapter for the same price at Klingspors as buying online from Oneway, at a substantial savings over the Vickmarc.

With all of that, I later bought a barely used Chinese Penn State Industries chuck set for $50 which I use interchangeably with the Oneway on the Hegner and find it works as well in holding ability and runout as the Oneway.

If money is available, buy Vicmarc, go with Vicmarc's recommendation of size of chuck to swing of lathe.

I looked for a used Vicmarc or Oneway chuck for over a year. I think turners love them so much they go into the coffin with them so that they have a good chuck in the next life.

One fools opinion.

Mobyturns
18th December 2014, 08:00 AM
Oils ain't oils, boss. The same goes for chucks & jaw sets.

Best to have a look at the jaw profiles, insert designs, and overall manufacture quality, decide on which you prefer then purchase the chuck system. You will find that each manufacturer has a slightly different jaw profile, insert designs etc. Think much wider than the chuck & jaws and look at the complete work holding system, chuck, face plates, screw points etc. Manufacturers like Vicmarc & Vermec have a complete and compatible system, inserts fit both face plates & chucks etc.

Do yourself a favor and down load the chuck manuals then study the exploded parts diagrams. It will give you a very good idea of the construction, strength and weaknesses of each design.

The Nova jaw's have a two bevel system with a very pronounced short sharp bevel on the lip. Vicmarc's have a consistent bevel.

My theory is that the Nova and similar two bevel systems have a "mini bevel" that actually encourages micro cracks right where you don't want them in the corner of the tenon to bowl interface. Every had a tenon shear off a bowl blank that was an unexplained?

The next thing to consider is the chuck insert & how the chuck / insert combination register to each other & on the lathe spindle. The Oneway Taper-lock is quite unique and along with the Vicmarc's more traditional threaded design have a superior and far less problematic registration system. The Nova's insert system registers on the nose of the insert & spindle threads whereas the Oneways & Vicmarcs register on the boss at the rear of the chuck to the spindle boss.

As for the knockoff's - some are faithful copies and are reasonable, some are made to look the same but are far from it in design, material quality and actual manufacture. It is very important that the scroll mechanism which is integral to the chucks mechanical power & strength is well manufactured and strong. Some knock offs fail miserably in this area of design. The length of cap screws used to hold the jaws to the backing slides is also another area where knockoffs seem a little light on.

Other things to look for are the small refinements - things like enclosed backs, removal of sharp burrs, nice little touches like the scroll friction adjustment on Vicmarc VM90 chucks, and the quality of other accessories like screw points and face plates.

Being a Queenslander perhaps I am biased but I firmly believe the Vicmarc jaws and insert system are far superior to the Nova jaw sets etc. Vermec accessories are also top notch quality. Maybe I was just fortunate to start with Vicmarcs.

One final word of caution - be very very wary of the new and very hyped advancements in quick change chuck jaw technology. I am far from convinced that they are safe for long term use or for use with lathes capable of reverse operation. One manufacturer actually states that they are suitable for light reverse turning only (what ever that means?) in their manual. Do people actually read manuals & cautions???

Like all purchases of tools “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

Jim Carroll
18th December 2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks for your input Jim,

I noticed you added that the VM120 is big and not needed. I'm wondering whether its size would be a hinderance or is it that I don't need the outlay?

If it just that it's not required at this stage and more expensive then I'm inclined to fork out the extra so I don't need to later but if you think it would actually make things harder as a beginner I'll get the VM100.

Cheers,

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The VM120 chuck is double the weight of the VM100 and is generally used for big and heavy work.

You will find that when starting out you will do smaller items, not to say you wont try to do a 16" platter or bowl. But this can still be easily done with the VM100 with a set of 144 dovetail jaws.

If you do find down the track that you do like doing those bigger things and find the need for the heavy chuck then go for it.

mattm82
18th December 2014, 08:32 AM
The VM120 chuck is double the weight of the VM100 and is generally used for big and heavy work.

You will find that when starting out you will do smaller items, not to say you wont try to do a 16" platter or bowl. But this can still be easily done with the VM100 with a set of 144 dovetail jaws.

If you do find down the track that you do like doing those bigger things and find the need for the heavy chuck then go for it.

Makes sense. Thanks to you, and all who responded, for taking the time to answer a new guys questions.

Matt

Evanism
18th December 2014, 11:22 AM
Matt, don't judge the Nova series by what I lent you.

That one was one of the old series which has the inboard tightening mechanism...that spanner/cog/socket is not my favourite. It's a bit hard to engage.

The new version, OK the second-newest-but-still-sold, has a much more simple Allen key like socket. Less dust inside, easier to insert and one less way to break a finger off on.

mattm82
18th December 2014, 05:12 PM
Matt, don't judge the Nova series by what I lent you.

That one was one of the old series which has the inboard tightening mechanism...that spanner/cog/socket is not my favourite. It's a bit hard to engage.

The new version, OK the second-newest-but-still-sold, has a much more simple Allen key like socket. Less dust inside, easier to insert and one less way to break a finger off on.

Evanism,

Given the extent of my knowledge on chucks I have very little to judge it by! I was shiny and it fit my lathe so I liked it!!

I did go with the rather overwhelming consensus and ordered a Vicmarc VM100 however. I took your advice and ordered the live centre and other attachments you emailed through. Thanks for your help. Looking forward to the meets you talked about, perhaps I'll even have something done when it next comes around.

Matt

mat_au
19th December 2014, 10:21 PM
good luck matt enjoy the journey, talk you time ask questions. there is never a stupid question only a stupid mastake, so many ppl on here are very helpful and join a club (yeah i need to take my own advice on that one) :D