RayG
20th December 2014, 04:19 PM
Diamond cluster?

.RC.
20th December 2014, 04:40 PM
Steel??????

Machtool
20th December 2014, 05:43 PM
What size is the square of the shank? I'd go with Stu, and think its a chamfering tool off a disc brake lathe. I ask about the shank size as most of then were small, I've never seen one more than 16mm.

emanon
20th December 2014, 07:31 PM
The tool is 16mm square, the bits are 3/16". If you look closely you'll notice the trailing tool's point angle is more acute than the leading tool's point angle.

Piers037
20th December 2014, 10:00 PM
The trailing tool looks to be ground for thread cutting. My guess is that this tool is to turn to a diameter and cut a thread without a tool change?

Cheers

Piers

Machtool
20th December 2014, 10:34 PM
My guess is that this tool is to turn to a diameter and cut a thread without a tool change?
If that was to be the case, you do know that the feed rate would have to be the same as the pitch per turn?

neksmerj
20th December 2014, 11:14 PM
It's a double sided static steam gurgitatometer.

Steamwisperer will verify this.........

Merry Christmas,

Ken

Oldneweng
21st December 2014, 06:49 AM
What sort of angle are the HSS bits on. In the first picture they look to be almost vertical. The trailing one has been ground to a sharper angle as has been mentioned.

It looks home made. Maybe it is just a left and right hand tool in one. Only uses one cutter at a time.

Dean

Steamwhisperer
21st December 2014, 08:10 AM
It's a double sided static steam gurgitatometer.

Steamwisperer will verify this.........

Merry Christmas,

Ken

Confirmed Ken, gees I thought it was obvious :rolleyes::D
I'm guessing screwcutting but...

Phil

texx
21st December 2014, 08:13 AM
its a left and right turning tool just waiting to be cut in half straight down the middle.

johno

.RC.
21st December 2014, 09:10 AM
So does the OP not know what the tool is?

Or is string us along playing a game?

Jekyll and Hyde
21st December 2014, 12:23 PM
About the only thing I could see it being useful for like that is roughing and finishing in a single pass... First toolbit takes it down roughly to size, rear one looks to have a sharper tip to shave down to final size... One of the operations is always going to be running at less than ideal speeds in that case though...

RayG
21st December 2014, 12:50 PM
It's obvious when you look closely at the pictures...

It's a pencil thickness measuring gauge.. you adjust the height of one side until it sits level, then the difference in height is the thickness of the pencil. :D

Ray

KBs PensNmore
21st December 2014, 02:07 PM
It's obvious when you look closely at the pictures...

It's a pencil thickness measuring gauge.. you adjust the height of one side until it sits level, then the difference in height is the thickness of the pencil. :D

Ray

Me thinks someone has waaaay to much time on their hands. Look out, the men in white coats are coming with a beautiful jacket for you:D

I hope you take it the way it was intended, NOT SERIOUSLY.
Kryn

eskimo
22nd December 2014, 01:16 PM
a scribing gauge?

.RC.
22nd December 2014, 02:53 PM
I am thinking a marital aid.... The wife throws it at the husband when he tells her how much he paid for it...

Gavin Newman
22nd December 2014, 03:03 PM
An economist will tell you that it's whatever you want it to be.

neksmerj
24th December 2014, 10:14 PM
I think we have been kept in suspenders long enough, cough up!

Ken

_fly_
24th December 2014, 10:22 PM
Its a flundel-gruber.
I just don't know what you use flundel-gruber's for.

Steamwhisperer
24th December 2014, 10:25 PM
We may have been had guys, read his name backwards.
If I remember correctly there was a poster a while back that seemed to delight in setting us up for no good reason.
Please please prove me wrong.

Phil

Jayson
29th December 2014, 10:43 AM
Definitely a Tangential tool holder for a lathe. Used with only one piece of tool steel at a time. You could machine up to a shoulder depending on what side of the tool you use. The tool steel with the more acute angle is used for thread cutting. I would guess that its home made as all the commercial ones I have seen are single sided. Very handy tools, I have purchased a few over the years.

.RC.
29th December 2014, 11:00 AM
Makes one wonder how this would go in a tangential tool holder http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04122180

eskimo
29th December 2014, 03:12 PM
Makes one wonder how this would go in a tangential tool holder http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04122180

at that price I will stick with HSS, but you buy one, and send a bit, er 50mm, over to me an I'll let you know...lol

wheelinround
29th December 2014, 05:36 PM
A Bi-Polar tool

emanon
29th December 2014, 09:39 PM
Bugger, RC has caught me out, I have no idea what it is. :sad1: A big thank you to RayG though, I now know the thickness of all my pencils - very important in the workshop!:2tsup:BTW, Steamwhisperer backwards is rerepsihwmaets (Indian I think).:)( Please don't let it be so.:anoyd:

.RC.
29th December 2014, 10:02 PM
at that price I will stick with HSS, but you buy one, and send a bit, er 50mm, over to me an I'll let you know...lol

You are right it is expensive, but it is pretty big at twelve inches long..... I am not going to buy any, but I do wonder how it would go... HSS is OK if you have patience, which I do not so I like tungsten carbide for it's machining speed and no need for coolant..

Machtool
29th December 2014, 10:02 PM
BTW, Steamwhisperer backwards is rerepsihwmaets (Indian I think).
Does that mean he was correct? Given your amount of smillies, and your familiararity with the forum on your 5th post. What do you figure the chanches are, your actually from Christies Beach S.A. An I.P check would surely confirm that.

emanon
29th December 2014, 10:46 PM
You do know anyone can peruse this forum? Presumably if you peruse this forum, or the plethora of other like forums you'd become familiar with them too, It's only necessary to join if you want to post. Redbank, will that do? Thanks for the warm welcome though - much appreciated.

emanon
29th December 2014, 11:27 PM
I just had a thought, if you spell dog backward, it's 'God'! I have a dog, he's a good dog, but don't think I'll be be worshiping him any time soon though, should put a smilie there, but... Nah, darn it :).

Ben Dono
1st January 2015, 07:38 AM
Ok...I'm lost on this one.. Any one worked it out yet?

emanon
1st January 2015, 09:46 PM
We have a winner, good guess.