PDA

View Full Version : Budgeroo

Goggomobile
21st December 2014, 08:46 AM
I have a log of Budgeroo which I've had for years. I've made a few boxes etc .. But never turned it.

Has any one had any experience turning Budgeroo ?

Randal

wood hacker
21st December 2014, 09:54 AM
I've turned a few bits and pieces from it. Cuts very nicely and sands and takes a polish well.

More info here (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/budgeroo.htm).

cheers
WH

powderpost
21st December 2014, 10:30 AM
Budgeroo is a nice timber to turn, nice colour, cuts cleanly and polishes well. I found the fine dust a little irritating, but that could be my problem only. It also is very nice for making lidded boxes and takes a very nice thread.

Jim

Mobyturns
21st December 2014, 08:31 PM
Its terrible stuff to turn. Just send it my way. :wink:

I have made finials from 19 mm boards and enjoyed turning it.

Ironwood
21st December 2014, 08:39 PM
I've turned a few pens out of Budgeroo, lovely stuff.

dougturner
21st December 2014, 09:49 PM
Randal, I love to turn Budgeroo! It is a very dense hard timber, also known as Tom Russell 's Mahogany, mountain mahogany, mountain oak, and Brown Hazelwood, depending on where you are. Mainly occurs in north Queensland. Attached are two photos of the same natural edged bowl made by my late Dad. About 5mm thick walls. The piece would be at least 20 years old and finished with Penetrol Wood Oil. It is my favourite piece of the few of his pieces that I have. Enjoy. Doug. :U

334738 334739

Kidbee
21st December 2014, 10:21 PM
Well known Queensland woodturner, Bruce Bell, turned heaps of Budgeroo.

wolfbunny
22nd December 2014, 08:01 AM
Heres a little bowl I did a month or so ago!
Its a hard wood but very forgiving I find and doesn't take a lot of sanding to get it to a very nice finish!
Cheers

hughie
22nd December 2014, 08:42 AM
check this site out http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/budgeroo.htm has a great deal of info on many native trees and he is a long time member of this forum as well.

dai sensei
22nd December 2014, 01:51 PM
Lovely stuff, one of my favourites :cool:. I have a huge collection of it from woodturning blanks to large slabs of the stuff :2tsup:

Goggomobile
23rd December 2014, 09:55 AM
Hi all

thanks all for the great posts.

Doug that is a magnificent turning from your late father. He really finished it well ..

Hughie .. Great site .. i think it is the Sticks 😀

i checked my log and two cut pieces .. Logs ok no cracking but ... The two cut pieces have cracked all over right through by the looks .. Should have waxed the ends or stored differently. Plenty of pen blanks I'm guessing.

Im going to turn some bowls and make some small boxes in the new year .. Stay posted ...

I'll have to go .. Expecting 25 for Xmas. The miss-es is on my back .. 😀

Randal

Kidbee
23rd December 2014, 10:32 PM
Randal, I love to turn Budgeroo! It is a very dense hard timber, also known as Tom Russell 's Mahogany, mountain mahogany, mountain oak, and Brown Hazelwood, depending on where you are. Mainly occurs in north Queensland. Attached are two photos of the same natural edged bowl made by my late Dad. About 5mm thick walls. The piece would be at least 20 years old and finished with Penetrol Wood Oil. It is my favourite piece of the few of his pieces that I have. Enjoy. Doug. :U

334738 334739
Are you positive it is Budgeroo as it does not look like the stuff I have? Looks more like an Acacia to me.

Mobyturns
23rd December 2014, 10:53 PM
Are you positive it is Budgeroo as it does not look like the stuff I have? Looks more like an Acacia to me.

I'm pretty sure that is not

budgeroo. http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/budgeroo.htm

http://www.pnc.com.au/~jaxtrans/gallery/exotic/budgeroo.htm

Found a very handy field guide to central & western QLD trees courtesy of an unlikely source - Santos.

https://www.santos.com/library/Santos_Qld_Field_Guide.pdf

Kidbee
24th December 2014, 04:32 AM
Heres a little bowl I did a month or so ago!
Its a hard wood but very forgiving I find and doesn't take a lot of sanding to get it to a very nice finish!
Cheers

I also doubt this piece is Budgeroo. Looks too pinkish to me.

Goggomobile
28th December 2014, 07:48 PM
Hi

Attached .. hot of the lathe a decorative candle stand in Budgeroo. This is from the log which had lots of cracks so I had to machine around them ... the raw timber shows what colour and texture it starts with and what it finishes up. As you can see this was machined down grain so lots of risk.

As others have mentioned .. Machines well and finishes well. Some fiddle back too. The logs have borer holes but this is only shallow. I decided to leave these on for a rustic affect.

Any way just part of the learin' for me ..

Goggomobile
29th December 2014, 09:09 AM
Hi
With the rain setting up in Qld I think I'm going to do some Budgeroo pens x grain .. I'll add post to the pen forum. I found an old post Ring Budgeroo by Penpal .. Shows the rings from x cut .. Great pen set.

Randal

dai sensei
29th December 2014, 10:54 AM
If you are doing Xcut be sure to epoxy in well the tube (ie sand tube, clean tube, put epoxy on tube and blank before inserting etc). Use good epoxy and leave min 24hours, do NOT even think of CA. Take fine cuts at high speed with sharp tools, any form of decent dig will blow it apart quickly :C. Most timbers look better Xcut in pens.