PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laurel bowl

toddbron
21st December 2014, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Wanted to make my beloved something for Christmas (because she didn't give me any suggestions). So I had a pretty plain looking slab of camphor laurel. How wrong was I when I got below the surface.

This is the first bowl I have attempted and have realised I needed to go a bit deeper inside. Also have to work on the tool mark. What are the best chisels to use for this type of job? Sanded to 400 and finished with EEE and Shellawax.

The other photo is of a repurposed painted saw blade turned into a clock mounted on a nice piece of Camphor Laurel.

Any hints, tips and criticisms welcome.

Thanks for looking

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pat
21st December 2014, 06:00 PM
Hello Todd, Good attempt at the bowl. Tool control comes with practice, ie do more bowls. :;

Best chisels - Bowl gouge and Negative Rake Scraper.

Brand is up to you and your budget. P & N, Woodcut or Thompson are my favourite bowl gouges. 5/8 (16mm), 1/2 (13mm) and 3/8 (10mm) are my most used sizes, although I do have 7/8 (22mm), 3/4 (19mm) for bigger bowls and 1/4 (6mm) for smaller work.

You can grind any scraper into N/R profile, again I have P&N and Woodcut, but I also have a Gary Pye set of Heavy Duty scrapers, of which I ground the smaller one into a N/R scraper. I find they are the best for final removal of tool marks prior to sanding.

A suggestion, get some scrap soft wood (pine is best), laminate to a reasonable bowl size, depending on your lathe, and practice on the blanks. The soft wood is notorious for being difficult to get a good surface unless your tool control is good.

I like the Wood Art clock! :2tsup:

hughie
22nd December 2014, 08:49 AM
Thats the best part about CL easy to turn and even better for sanding and with stunning colour. Keep going you can only get better and dont be too hard on yourself. Its fine effort for a first bowl, remember we all started out where you are and some of us didnt do so well :U as you have done on this one.

artme
22nd December 2014, 10:16 AM
Now there's a clock I can like!!! Neatly done Todd.!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Just want to back up what the others have said about bowl turning. Sharp tools and rubbing bevel make a big difference.:)

Wood Collector
22nd December 2014, 10:51 AM
If you turn the bowl gouge slightley on its edge you can get what is called a shearing cut which is good for finishing work with. I think that I have some guides on wood turning, will have a look and then let you know. If you have a local mens shed I would join up with them as they can show you how to sharpen tools and help you with your bowl turning