PDA

View Full Version : Little Ironbark Bark Box

dai sensei
21st December 2014, 08:31 PM
Made a little lidded box (60mm dia x 60mm high) from the Ironbark Bark I collected in Melb on my travels (see http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=184773&highlight=ironbark). I stabilized it with Cactus Juice before I started. The dark sections are solidified resins and the light areas what looks like part timber part dirt, a pain on the chisels and very dusty to turn, definitely a job for the skew to avoid fracturing.

Not the best finishing job :-, after sanding I gave it 2 coats of CA, but it didn't fill or the holes :~, then buffed with waxes that got caught in the holes :C. Just a Xmas gift from my sister from where I got the bark, lucky, as I also dropped it chipping the rim and a bit of the CA finish on the side to come off :doh:

hughie
22nd December 2014, 08:44 AM
But it all comes together with heaps of character. :2tsup: great little box.

artme
22nd December 2014, 10:19 AM
Not a bad tal;e of woe for a neat litle boks!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Paul39
22nd December 2014, 10:23 AM
That is really neat!! Is that just the bark of Ironbark? How thick does the bark get?

dai sensei
22nd December 2014, 01:33 PM
That is really neat!! Is that just the bark of Ironbark? How thick does the bark get?

It is just the bark, it was up to 100mm thick, see the link in the first post.

Rod Gilbert
23rd December 2014, 08:31 AM
Hi Neil,
Interesting little box does the cactus juice bond the material well,I imagine you would still have to be very careful with the amount of pressure you used on the tool.
Regards Rod.