PDA

View Full Version : CBN by VicMarc

DaveTTC
21st December 2014, 10:16 PM
Just a quickie for some feed back from anyone who has tried the VicMarc CBN.

How do you like the extra grit on the side of the wheel?

Have you been able to compare this against any other CBN?

Not sure if Jim has got the new stock in, he was going to have it my Christmas but been so bust with family matters I have not got back to him.

Oh what grit does every one suggest?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Oldgreybeard
22nd December 2014, 08:36 AM
Just a quickie for some feed back from anyone who has tried the VicMarc CBN.

How do you like the extra grit on the side of the wheel?

Have you been able to compare this against any other CBN?

Not sure if Jim has got the new stock in, he was going to have it my Christmas but been so bust with family matters I have not got back to him.

Oh what grit does every one suggest?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

Hi Dave, I recently bought a Woodcut CBN wheel (200 x 40 x 180 grit) for the Tormek 1200. I an very impressed with the finish and sharpness and find that honing on the leather wheel is not really necessary. in fact I only hone the skews.

Bob

Jim Carroll
22nd December 2014, 09:28 AM
Dave we have stock of the wheels

Vicmarc Grinders & CBN Wheels (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/vicmarc-grinder--cbn-wheels)

Most guys dont really need the side of the wheel for their turning tools.

It will be the hand tool guys who want to use the side for flattening the back of the chisels etc.

hiroller
22nd December 2014, 09:52 AM
What is the difference between the Woodcut wheel and the Vicmarc wheel other than the size of the side? Are they constructed the same?

BobL
22nd December 2014, 10:43 AM
. . . . .It will be the hand tool guys who want to use the side for flattening the back of the chisels etc.

I'm not convinced that flattening the back of a chisel this way would work all that well and being quite fast cutting could easily gouge a chisel back.

A flat side coating is likely to be more useful for touching up cutters for a metalworking lathe or mill, and for drill sharpening although I am really pleased with how well the front of a CBN wheel does the job on twist drills.

For carbide tipped tools, my cheapo solution has been to put an $8 6" diamond lapping wheel on the side of the CBN wheel like this.
I did think about using an 8" diamond wheel but was worried it would interfere with the CBN wheel
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=329885&stc=1
The diamond wheel is a 170 grit and being only 1.2mm thick is backed by an 100 mm diameter, 12mm thick steel plate.
The grinder is a 3/4HP 3phase with variable speed drive.

I try not to blame tools for my problems in the shed but my twist drill sharpening ability seems to have improved markedly since I started sharpening with a JC CBN wheel. Maybe it's because my CBN wheel is smoother or because I'm running it at around 40 (instead of 50 Hz) or the way it grinds where very little pressure seems to be required to grind HSS. It's probably a result of all of these things which gives one a bit of confidence which then feeds of itself..

Evanism
22nd December 2014, 10:55 AM
I'm a novice and a hack, but I find the 180 gives me fantastic results for the lathe chisels.

I have both the 80 and 180 CBNs on a standard 8" grinder (no variable speed). The 80 is too aggressive for my skill level ATM, but the 180 gives smooth predictable results.

I've found that over time the wheels have performed better. They "felt" rough and bouncy/tingy (ting ting ting) for a while, but thats settling out and the sharpenings are really nice and smooth.

My woodfasts don't have the side sharpening, but I do like BobLs implementation. Perhaps he will advise where such a wheel was obtained???

Wheels were obtained from CWS.

BobL
22nd December 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm a novice and a hack, but I find the 180 gives me fantastic results for the lathe chisels.

I have both the 80 and 180 CBNs on a standard 8" grinder (no variable speed). The 80 is too aggressive for my skill level ATM, but the 180 gives smooth predictable results.

I've found that over time the wheels have performed better. They "felt" rough and bouncy/tingy (ting ting ting) for a while, but thats settling out and the sharpenings are really nice and smooth.

My woodfasts don't have the side sharpening, but I do like BobLs implementation. Perhaps he will advise where such a wheel was obtained??? .

Flat lapidary diamond wheels can be obtained from many sources - I got mine from SWMBO who keeps a handy range of grits on hand for her glass jewellery activities.
She got them from http://www.thk.hk/online-cart.php?cid=36&sid=39

BTW it's not recommended to use HSS on diamond, or carbide on CBN wheels.
At $8 a pop for the diamond wheels I don't care if I stuff one up on HSS, but the CBN wheel does not get touched by carbide.

DaveTTC
22nd December 2014, 12:56 PM
BobL ... Love the the idea of a diamond wheel on the side of the CBN.

I am thinking 180 as 80 does not seem to be needed.

Jim - thanks for the update, I should have called again. Now to work out how to raise the said $$$. Family matters have seriously drained the coffers. What is the price for an 8" in widest wheel. NOt sure if you are getting these in a 25mm and a 40mm?

Dave the turning cowboy

turning wood into art

BobL
22nd December 2014, 01:20 PM
BobL ... Love the the idea of a diamond wheel on the side of the CBN.

I am thinking 180 as 80 does not seem to be needed.

80?

DaveTTC
22nd December 2014, 03:28 PM
It seems 80 grit CBN is used more for shaping. Shaping only needs to be do e once in theory. Sharpening is frequent so thinking I'll go for a 180 grit

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Jim Carroll
22nd December 2014, 04:33 PM
The Woodcut CBN wheel (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/woodcut-cbn-grinding-wheels)s come in a variety of sizes and widths,

The Vicmarc CBN wheels (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/vicmarc-grinder--cbn-wheels) are 40mm wide

The 80g is generally used for reshaping as the 180g can be slow for some people.

Yes you reshape more often than you think, the pointy end always lands first.

DaveTTC
22nd December 2014, 04:36 PM
What drop a chisel. Never! I'm too tight and poor to drop a chisel lol

Good thing I have 3" of sawdust on my floor. I think I'll go the Vicmarc. If I click the link do I get the price .... Ok I'll sit down first. ;)

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

DaveTTC
22nd December 2014, 04:42 PM
Id like one of everything on that Vicmarc link.

I noticed that while the jigs were interchangeable that one would fowl do to a pin or something in the way when moved left to right side of grinder. Do you know if they modified this. Also love to see the gouge jig come with indexing. I know I can mark it myself. Just saying would be nice to have it from the factory.

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Woodturnerjosh
22nd December 2014, 05:29 PM
I've got the Vicmarc slow speed grinder and an 80 CBN wheel. I find the finish of the wheel to be pretty good but I'm not sure what I would use the side for. The cut is quite aggressive when new but does smooth out and the wheels are HEAVY! Takes a while for the grinder to wind up and slow down.

DaveTTC
22nd December 2014, 05:35 PM
I have carpentry chisels and planer blades so possible I might go a flat grind instead of a hollow grind

Dave

The Turning Cowboy