PDA

View Full Version : Kerbside Re-cycling

ogato
22nd December 2014, 10:04 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> One of my mates picked up a couple of sections of wood from a footpath tree that had been cut down. Finding and securing the wood was the important thing to him – identification . . . not an issue.

A couple of local woodies thought it might be ‘golden rain’, so this is the tentative name I gave it when I roughed a couple of bowls from the green wood.

When I put it back in the lathe, once dry, it seemed to have qualities similar to Jacaranda, so I guess I could re-name it ‘Golden Jacaranda’.

Some lovely wavy grain and colours in the wood and I’m pretty happy with the finished product. Much better than mulch, even if I do say so myself.

Jeff

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeff-Fraser-Wood-Turner<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Rod Gilbert
23rd December 2014, 08:13 AM
Hi ogato,
You should be very pleased with you're efforts a nice bowl indeed. The timber looks a lot like Jacaranda to me was it easy to work and did it come off the tool well Jacaranda usually does.
Regards Rod.

ogato
23rd December 2014, 09:01 AM
Hi ogato,
You should be very pleased with you're efforts a nice bowl indeed. The timber looks a lot like Jacaranda to me was it easy to work and did it come off the tool well Jacaranda usually does.
Regards Rod.

Thanks Rod
The wood was indeed pretty good to work, smooth off the chisel, and not to hard to finish - one of the aspects which pointed towards a possible/probable Jacaranda ID.

Cheers
Jeff

dai sensei
23rd December 2014, 10:03 AM
If the locals called it golden rain, I'd say it was Golden Raintree, also known as Chinese Raintree (Oelreuteria elegans ssp. formosana). Very similar to Jac to turn, grain etc but slightly darker, but moves a heap more if turned green. I have many rough turned footballs :U

ogato
23rd December 2014, 02:15 PM
If the locals called it golden rain, I'd say it was Golden Raintree, also known as Chinese Raintree (Oelreuteria elegans ssp. formosana). Very similar to Jac to turn, grain etc but slightly darker, but moves a heap more if turned green. I have many rough turned footballs :U

Thanks Neil,
It might well be Golden Raintree, perhaps a little darker than Jacaranda, however it didn't move much at all. It was freshly cut when I got it, and turned fairly promptly, put in a placcy bag and put away to season. Minimal movement, little or no cracking - and a very happy customer.

Jeff

artme
23rd December 2014, 04:27 PM
Gorgeous piece Ogato!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Think I would agree with Neil on the species.

ogato
23rd December 2014, 07:38 PM
Gorgeous piece Ogato!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Think I would agree with Neil on the species.

Thanks Artme - looks like the concensus is Golden Raintree. I have one more rough to finish off (a nice N/E bowl with a big bark hole), but better get Christmas and NY out of the way first.