PDA

View Full Version : Cookied Bacon smells like pigs!!

artme
26th December 2014, 08:11 PM
Cooked some bacon the other morning and it had the offensive odour of pigs.

When left to cool the odour disappeared.

Anyone else struck this????

cava
26th December 2014, 09:12 PM
Old male perhaps? They have a very strong smell.

Fuzzie
26th December 2014, 09:36 PM
:whs:
I only recently came across references to using female only pork. Google Boar Taint for more info.

BobL
26th December 2014, 11:59 PM
I suppose it's better that smelling of of horse or cats?

wheelinround
27th December 2014, 08:54 AM
reading title I was going to ask what you were complaining about and then for recipe and make some for neighbours across the road :;

Isn't bacon supposed to smell like well pig :? or are you used to cured smoked type which is highly salted and sometimes in a brine. If bought from a butcher it may be wild bore it has strong odour.

chambezio
27th December 2014, 09:53 AM
Arthur
I whole heartedly agree that pork/bacon doesn't smell right. To me its the smell of their pelletised food. The "nuts" they are fed have an odour to it and this smell comes out in the taste of the cooked meat.
We were in the Supermarket looking at the packaged meat on show. The prices were (Well I thought) very dear for the small amount of meat that you got. The cheaper meat was chicken. I grew up in a time when we only ate chicken on Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. It truly was a "special" occasion when we would eat chook. Now we would have 2-3 meals of chicken a week. Oh and pork back then did taste like pork

rustynail
27th December 2014, 01:29 PM
Male pigs that are raised for pork are not necessarily castrated. Those that are raised to baconer are, as they are reaching maturity. Often oversized porkers get used for bacon, which is fine, so long as they are gilts or sows. If they are boars and the male hormones are active, they make lousy eating.

artme
27th December 2014, 05:52 PM
This was Bacon from Aldi. Never had a problem before and this only happened halfway through the
pack. The last couple of rashers were consigned to the bin.

The current lot of bacon was bought from Woolies, unpackaged, as the butcher had run out!! So far OK.

Ana and I had a meal of prime ribs in Las Vegas that we could not eat due to the odour. All meat there
was feed lot stuphph and for my grass fed taste buds it was not right.

DaveTTC
27th December 2014, 10:53 PM
I suppose it's better that smelling of of horse or cats?

Absolutely agree

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

cava
27th December 2014, 11:40 PM
Just for the record, cat tastes like chicken, I have been told. :doh:

Horse is chewey.

doug3030
28th December 2014, 01:51 AM

Thanks for that. now I have an idea about what chicken tastes like without actually having to eat one. :2tsup:

Cheers

Doug

wheelinround
28th December 2014, 09:39 AM

Horse is chewey.

Mate worked at a certain fast food store that proved it till the got caught :; it gave new meaning to their 3 lettered name