PDA

View Full Version : Lathe clean up

wheelinround
27th December 2014, 09:29 AM
As usual I did my lathe maintenance and clean up.

Over time I have tried various liquids to remove the grunge and crime of finishes from the lathe, Metho, Kero, Mineral Turps even WD40 which does two jobs and I was finding best to use. While cleaning my hands with that sanitizer soap I dribbled some on the painted surface quickly grabbed a rag and wiped it off fearing rust promoter :C to my surprise :o I saw white paint not grime. So I pumped a bit more onto the rag and continued to wipe the casting and removed very easy the grime. I still sprayed with WD40 tho afterwards its not 100% but all ready for more work.

hughie
27th December 2014, 09:50 AM
As usual I did my lathe maintenance and clean up.

Over time I have tried various liquids to remove the grunge and crime of finishes from the lathe, Metho, Kero, Mineral Turps even WD40 which does two jobs and I was finding best to use. While cleaning my hands with that sanitizer soap I dribbled some on the painted surface quickly grabbed a rag and wiped it off fearing rust promoter :C to my surprise :o I saw white paint not grime. So I pumped a bit more onto the rag and continued to wipe the casting and removed very easy the grime. I still sprayed with WD40 tho afterwards its not 100% but all ready for more work.

Ha ha dont you just love serendipity of some accidents.

BlackbuttWA
27th December 2014, 10:48 AM
Could you please give us more details of "sanitizer soap", such as brand etc.

Cheers
Col

Master Splinter
27th December 2014, 11:02 AM
If it's the usual, rapid-evaporating hand sanitiser, you'll find the main ingredient in those is methylated spirits. Metho is such a handy cleaner I scerw a trigger spray head onto a 1 litre bottle of it.

wheelinround
27th December 2014, 01:55 PM
Could you please give us more details of "sanitizer soap", such as brand etc.

Cheers
Col

Ah well as i have two bottles one either end of workshop and I know LOML refills with what ever she buys in larger bottle not able to help much there. I know the latest lot in one bottle is overpowering in alcohol and stings like buggery when it gets in a cut.

Just checked brand is an Aldi brand choose your own scent LOL.

Evanism
27th December 2014, 03:20 PM
This is untested, but struck me as amazing....I dropped a big blob of thin CA on my table saw when I was doing some pens. I quickly wiped it up and underneath was pristine. Even the surface oxidation was gone.

I haven't retested it.

wheelinround
27th December 2014, 04:59 PM
This is untested, but struck me as amazing....I dropped a big blob of thin CA on my table saw when I was doing some pens. I quickly wiped it up and underneath was pristine. Even the surface oxidation was gone.

I haven't retested it.

By "testing" you're not thinking thin layer all over :o

Hermit
27th December 2014, 05:00 PM
Thanks Ray, this is good to know. I probably would have tackled it with white spirits.

So far, though, I've remembered to lay some newspaper on the bed, so it's still pristine. (Have I just jinxed myself?)

artme
27th December 2014, 05:38 PM
A couple of times I have spilt CA on the saw table and later cleaned it of with an all purpose
chisel. Always get a you beaut clean spot. I think it lifts the grime from the pores as well
as picking up surface dirt.